Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xyzzy-xyzzy

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2010
So your dongle only took precedence after you took care of that with the Bluetooth explorer or using the bluetooth explorer you noticed it takes precedence by default?
By default. I didn't have any choice in the matter. With the dongle plugged in it was all that was shown in the "Host Controller Selector" window.

Here's a guide to the plug-out procedure that I had bookmarked:
http://oliverwolfson.com/apple-mac-pro-bluetooth-issue-solved/
...and the dongle at the bottom of that page is a picture of that GBU421 I am currently using.

Incidentally, originally when I was playing around with and without the dongle with pairings things seemed to get confused with failed pairings of the BT devices. And I was having more trouble waking the dongle out of sleep. I found the most clean way to set up the pairings for the dongle was to at least once use the Bluetooth Explorer's "Modify Software & Device Configuration" (from menu Utilities) and do a "full factory reset" (leave the first four boxes checked and do the "Perform actions") and then reboot. After re-pairing the dongle behaved much better waking up and seeing the mouse. But as I said in a previous post it still can fail some of the time.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
I use a IOGear Bluetooth 2.1 USB Micro Adapter GBU421. I only got that particular one because they were on sale for $8 at Fry's last Christmas. I keep it plugged into the back of my ACD which means it's less than a foot or two from the mouse and trackpad.

So with a 2010 Mac Pro and the IOGear dongle.....is there any software/drivers to install? Or can it just plug into an ACD and work?

Do you have to turn off the internal bluetooth?

I use a wired keyboard, and quite honestly, the machine is really never asleep, so I don't see that being an issue.

With my Magic Mouse and get on and off jerky movement, stutters, etc. Guessing it's the bluetooth, although the machine is only 3-4 ft away.

-Kevin

xyzzy-xyzzy

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2010
So with a 2010 Mac Pro and the IOGear dongle.....is there any software/drivers to install? Or can it just plug into an ACD and work?
No additional software required. You still, of course, need to re-pair your BT devices.

Do you have to turn off the internal bluetooth?
As I said earlier in this thread the dongle overrides the internal BT (on my 2010 Mac Pro at least). You couldn't turn the internal off even if you wanted too ;)

I use a wired keyboard, and quite honestly, the machine is really never asleep, so I don't see that being an issue.

With my Magic Mouse and get on and off jerky movement, stutters, etc. Guessing it's the bluetooth, although the machine is only 3-4 ft away.
With or without the dongle? I occasionally have some skipping (using the dongle) but I think it's somehow related to turning on and then off my DVI port for my TV connection (mDP's are used for my monitors). It's the only time I think I see the problem. Sleeping or turing on/off the mouse sometimes clears that skipping. I can't be more definitive as this point because I'm still trying to track this down and I don't use the DVI/TV that much so I really haven't spent much time investigating it.

Inconsequential

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2007
Did the same as you! Works perfectly now.

I've just used a 50cm wire with a 5dB antenna just lying on the desk, having it setup like yours (IE in a PCI slot) still caused some interference.

Whoever designed the Mac Pro's bluetooth needs to be sacked.

Joshuarocks

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2011
Somewhere in Cyberspace
Did the same as you! Works perfectly now.

I've just used a 50cm wire with a 5dB antenna just lying on the desk, having it setup like yours (IE in a PCI slot) still caused some interference.

Whoever designed the Mac Pro's bluetooth needs to be sacked.

Hmm.. still never had this problem.. perhaps my mac pro 2010 was a later revised model?

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Got my parts (see post #28) and installed them tonight. Works great. I find the antenna provides the best reception when pointed straight back from the chassis (parallel to the ground). Although it also works reasonably well when pointed up as shown in the pic.

It looks clean. Thanks feins for the inspiration! :)

Attachments

• photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    146.6 KB · Views: 511
Reactions: Champagne_5S

feins

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 11, 2010
Malaysia
Got my parts (see post #28) and installed them tonight. Works great. I find the antenna provides the best reception when pointed straight back from the chassis (parallel to the ground). Although it also works reasonably well when pointed up as shown in the pic.

It looks clean. Thanks feins for the inspiration! :)

Cool :)

kkanuck

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2008
Would Applecare fix this?

I have read some folks in Australia with same issues on the Mac Pro 09 with Bluetooth that complained to Apple, and Apple replaced there entire case, and afterwards Bluetooth worked as it should.

has anyone here stateside had any justice with Apple fixing there screwup?

The antenna looks nice, but could break off if transporting the computer around.

I would prefer an Apple fix with a new case if I had a choice...

feins

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 11, 2010
Malaysia
I have read some folks in Australia with same issues on the Mac Pro 09 with Bluetooth that complained to Apple, and Apple replaced there entire case, and afterwards Bluetooth worked as it should.

has anyone here stateside had any justice with Apple fixing there screwup?

The antenna looks nice, but could break off if transporting the computer around.

I would prefer an Apple fix with a new case if I had a choice...

From m understanding that there is no new version of Bluetooth antenna from apple and there is no new version of the Bluetooth module either. I've try replacing the Bluetooth antenna but it won't fix the issue. It's indeed the casing design issue unless there is a newer version of enclosure which I doubt there is.

For the mod I can just unscrew the antenna during shipping and reattach the antenna back after moving.

But on ur frends I grateful congratulating him on successfully resolve the issue after apple replace their enclosure. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.