Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

musvid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2014
Hi all,

I have a music recording project coming up that looked like a good excuse to resurrect my 2006 Mac Pro 1,1 ... In preparation, I upgraded to Snow Leopard 10.6.8 on a Sandisk 512Gb SSD and flashed the EFI to 2,1 .. all works fine. The new (used) processors arrived, well packaged and looked in good condition - seller says they were from a little used HP server and expected I'd get years of life out of them:

Intel XEON Quad Core X5355 - 2.66GHz Socket J - LGA 771 - SL9YM

Followed the various tutorials, installed the 5355's, put everything back, powered up and taaadaaa .... nothing. No chime, no boot screen ... after a minute or so the fans go full on. I tried resetting PRAM and SMC, still nothing.

I put the original processors back in and the Mac Pro boots and runs as normal. The 5355 is on the list ... so I'm guessing they're broken unless anyone has any other ideas, something I missed?

Any help much appreciated, thanks!

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Hi all,

I have a music recording project coming up that looked like a good excuse to resurrect my 2006 Mac Pro 1,1 ... In preparation, I upgraded to Snow Leopard 10.6.8 on a Sandisk 512Gb SSD and flashed the EFI to 2,1 .. all works fine. The new (used) processors arrived, well packaged and looked in good condition - seller says they were from a little used HP server and expected I'd get years of life out of them:

Intel XEON Quad Core X5355 - 2.66GHz Socket J - LGA 771 - SL9YM

Followed the various tutorials, installed the 5355's, put everything back, powered up and taaadaaa .... nothing. No chime, no boot screen ... after a minute or so the fans go full on. I tried resetting PRAM and SMC, still nothing.

I put the original processors back in and the Mac Pro boots and runs as normal. The 5355 is on the list ... so I'm guessing they're broken unless anyone has any other ideas, something I missed?

Any help much appreciated, thanks!

The CPUs must be matched pair, including the stepping specs.

I bought the matched pair SLAEG CPUs and they worked great on my MP1,1.

musvid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2014
The CPUs must be matched pair, including the stepping specs.

I bought the matched pair SLAEG CPUs and they worked great on my MP1,1.

Thanks - they were sold as a "matched pair" and on visual inspection appeared to be .... the SL9YM shows as stepping B3 which should be fine with the 2,1 EFI.

musvid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2014
I gave in ...

... though actually the 5355's might have been the wrong choice anyway. I'm planning to record on Logic 9.1.3 at 32 sample buffer with a sample rate of 96KHz @ 24 bit - gives a round trip of 2.8ms which should be fine for the performers. I've been testing on the original dual core 2.66 and in a live multitrack setting with 2 aux's setup for foldback and 14 tracks recording (each with a channel eq) all the work is being done on a single core which hovers around the 60% mark while fluctuating up to 80-90%. It might be the two SSD's for OS and audio but it seems to work fine.

So the 5365 would be better for the extra headroom on the core where the work is done - indeed for this situation, even the original dual 3GHz might be a worthwhile upgrade (and presumably very cheap) but couldn't see any pairs on eBay.

Reactions: Nguyen Duc Hieu
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.