Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sheapuppy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2020
Chicago IL
Guys,

I'm at my wits end. Picked up a 1,1 that the owner said he couldn't get it to boot. Specs are as follows:

A1186 2x2.0GHz CPU
4GB RAM (4 x 1GB sticks, two on each tray)
320 SATA GB HDD
SuperDrive
GeForce GT 7300 256MB GPU
802.11n WiFi
No bluetooth card

Originally, the machine had 1GB (2 x 512MB), but I believe one of the 512MB sticks was bad so I ordered 4GB RAM pretty cheap.

No matter what I've tried, I cannot get 10.4, 10.5, 10.6 or 10.7 to install. These are all Intel Mac installers btw. I've created USB installers and DVD installers and in all cases except for Leopard or Lion, the installer goes through the first boot up and then it hangs. I don't know what else to do. I can't get it into diagnostics mode when I hold the Option+D or D keys. I have a 4,1>5,1 machine where I installed Snow Leopard on it on a 250GB SSD, transferred it back to the 1,1 and still the machine won't boot. I've downloaded the service manual and all the diagnostic lights are working as they're supposed to.

As a last resort, I tried installing Windows 7 32-bit to no avail. It goes through the first part of the install and then it hangs repeatedly going into an endless loop.

With Lion after it fails the install, I'm able to go into recovery mode, I'm able to connect to my home wifi network, I'm also able to enter my icloud credentials. I've also used terminal to set the date back to 2016 using the date -u 011421002016 command to see if that helps. Every time it says the installer not available and to try later.

Hopefully someone can help.

Last edited:

Soba

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2003
Rochester, NY
I can't get it into diagnostics mode when I hold the Option+D or D keys.

For a Mac of that age, these startup keys won't work unless the diagnostic disc is inserted in the optical drive.

I recommend that you manually download and run Apple Hardware Test and/or Apple Service Diagnostic to figure out where the fault lies.

AHT:

Apple Service Diagnostic:

Let us know how it goes.

Last edited:

sheapuppy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2020
Chicago IL
For a Mac of that age, these startup keys won't work unless the diagnostic disc is inserted in the optical drive.

I recommend that you manually download and run Apple Hardware Test and/or Apple Service Diagnostic to figure out where the fault lies.

AHT:

Apple Service Diagnostic:

Let us know how it goes.
Thanks! I downloaded it and will try it over the weekend and see what the results are.

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Guys,

I'm at my wits end. Picked up a 1,1 that the owner said he couldn't get it to boot. Specs are as follows:

A1186 2x2.0GHz CPU
4GB RAM (4 x 1GB sticks, two on each tray)
320 SATA GB HDD
SuperDrive
GeForce GT 7300 512MB GPU
802.11n WiFi
No bluetooth card

Originally, the machine had 1GB (2 x 512MB), but I believe one of the 512MB sticks was bad so I ordered 4GB RAM pretty cheap.

No matter what I've tried, I cannot get 10.4, 10.5, 10.6 or 10.7 to install. These are all Intel Mac installers btw. I've created USB installers and DVD installers and in all cases except for Leopard or Lion, the installer goes through the first boot up and then it hangs. I don't know what else to do. I can't get it into diagnostics mode when I hold the Option+D or D keys. I have a 4,1>5,1 machine where I installed Snow Leopard on it on a 250GB SSD, transferred it back to the 1,1 and still the machine won't boot. I've downloaded the service manual and all the diagnostic lights are working as they're supposed to.

As a last resort, I tried installing Windows 7 32-bit to no avail. It goes through the first part of the install and then it hangs repeatedly going into an endless loop.

With Lion after it fails the install, I'm able to go into recovery mode, I'm able to connect to my home wifi network, I'm also able to enter my icloud credentials. I've also used terminal to set the date back to 2016 using the date -u 011421002016 command to see if that helps. Every time it says the installer not available and to try later.

Hopefully someone can help.

As you already have the MP 4,1. I would suggest you install El Capital on the HDD to try.
Watch this video for the guidance and link to the dmg file of pikified El Capital.

Reactions: sheapuppy

sheapuppy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2020
Chicago IL
As you already have the MP 4,1. I would suggest you install El Capital on the HDD to try.
Watch this video for the guidance and link to the dmg file of pikified El Capital.

Thanks for the suggestion - I'll look at the the youtube video to make sure I didn't miss any steps. I installed 10.7 Lion on a spare drive I had on my 4,1 successfully, and then transferred the HDD to the 1,1 with the same results - it hangs up during bootup.

So far, I've run various hardware tests using the various combinations for memory (see below) and the Apple Service Diagnostic testing has passed.

I also have two additional 512MB sticks (original ones that came with the machine), and two additional 4GB sticks that I had just ordered, thinking that the issue may have been the memory but so far everything is good.

One question I have is the following: does it make any difference the order/which card slot I put in the memory?

I've tried the following combinations:

2GB -> 2x1GB sticks top slot - no RAM bottom slot
3GB -> 2x1GB sticks top slot - 2x512MB bottom slot
4GB -> 2x1GB sticks top slot - 2x1GB sticks bottom slot
5GB -> 4x1GB sticks top slot - 2x512MB sticks bottom slot
9GB -> 2x4GB sticks top slot - 2x512MB sticks bottom slot
10GB -> 2x4GB sticks top slot - 2x1GB sticks bottom slot
11GB -> 2x4GB + 2x1GB sticks top slot - 2x512MB sticks bottom slots

Can someone confirm if any of these combos are not allowed?

Last edited:

Soba

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2003
Rochester, NY
Thanks for the suggestion - I'll look at the the youtube video to make sure I didn't miss any steps. I installed 10.7 Lion on a spare drive I had on my 4,1 successfully, and then transferred the HDD to the 1,1 with the same results - it hangs up during bootup.

So far, I've run various hardware tests using the various combinations for memory (see below) and the Apple Service Diagnostic testing has passed.

I also have two additional 512MB sticks (original ones that came with the machine), and two additional 4GB sticks that I had just ordered, thinking that the issue may have been the memory but so far everything is good.

One question I have is the following: does it make any difference the order/which card slot I put in the memory?

DIMM placement does make a difference.

The inside of the Mac Pro side panel has diagrams that illustrate the correct order for installing RAM into the system in matched pairs. If you follow those diagrams, you should be all set.

You can also find more detailed documentation for RAM installation into all models of Mac Pro (2012 or earlier) here. Make sure you follow the instructions for your exact model:

I suggest using a simple RAM arrangement first (just 2 or 4 DIMMs, matched) to see if you can get the system working and only then try something more complex.

Also, if you're still having trouble after you have the RAM installed in a known-supported configuration, you might want to try running Apple Service Diagnostic on a repeated loop. If it is a hardware problem, sometimes more than one loop is needed to expose the problem.

Good luck. Let us know if any of this helps.

macguru9999

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
best to get a newer mac pro, 5,1. i dont think its worth spending more of your time on the 1,1

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020

I got 8 sticks of 4GB FCBDIMM for 16$ (2$ a stick) so I didn't know how about other RAM combination.
In your case, I would suggest try only 1 stick of RAM first.
But I guest the issue in your case is lying somewhere else.

Reactions: sheapuppy

sheapuppy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2020
Chicago IL
I got 8 sticks of 4GB FCBDIMM for 16$ (2$ a stick) so I didn't know how about other RAM combination.
In your case, I would suggest try only 1 stick of RAM first.
But I guest the issue in your case is lying somewhere else.
That's awesome. Here in the states, 16GB (4x4GB) will set you about $32.

Finally, I figured out the problem. Turns out the original NVIDIA 7300GT 256MB was bad. It would work fine during set up, but would hang. The strange thing is that it passed the Apple System Diagnostic test. I discovered it by chance, Lion 10.7 finally installed but it hanged just before booting into the desktop. I happened to have an old GT120 512MB. It doesn't give the bootup screen but it booted up! So glad to have figured it out!

I'm planning on installing El Capitan. I also have an old 5770 1GB GPU as well. I read in another thread that the 5770 has both 32-bit and 64-bit EFI so it should give me the bootup screen.

Once I get 'er going, I plan on turning it into a media server.

Thanks again everyone!

JP

Reactions: Soba

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020

Finally, I figured out the problem. Turns out the original NVIDIA 7300GT 256MB was bad. It would work fine during set up, but would hang. The strange thing is that it passed the Apple System Diagnostic test. I discovered it by chance, Lion 10.7 finally installed but it hanged just before booting into the desktop. I happened to have an old GT120 512MB. It doesn't give the bootup screen but it booted up! So glad to have figured it out!

I'm planning on installing El Capitan. I also have an old 5770 1GB GPU as well. I read in another thread that the 5770 has both 32-bit and 64-bit EFI so it should give me the bootup screen.

Thanks again everyone!

JP

Is the electricity cost where you leave quite cheap? I don't dare to do it here. I use the HP Prodesk 600G1 because of its better power management scheme.

And please share your result with the HD5770 here. I might purchase one to keep as well.

Last edited:

mode11

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2015
London

Thanks again everyone!

JP
It's likely because at boot, the GPU is just doing basic 2D stuff. Once the OS / drivers load, it's compositing the desktop etc. using the 3D hardware, at which point it falls over. Aside from the 3D portions of the GPU, engaging 3D mode might increase the clock speed, power consumption, memory use etc., involving something that is failing / has failed.

Reactions: Nguyen Duc Hieu
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.