Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zzero101

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2015
I have a MP 1 1, which previously had working versions of both 10.6.8 and 10.7.5, using a GeForce210 card.

After a firmware failure on an HD and corruption of the 10.7 OS, I have been stuck without a usable OS. I have been trying to reinstall 10.7 despite not having access to a working screen, as 10.6 will not recognise the G210. Using my very old PPC iMac G5, I used Chicken VNC to try to install 10.7 on a new, blank, but partitioned HD on the MP, and after much effort and several days of work involving lost passwords and other extraneous problems, I have managed to part install 10.7. I say part, because right now I am halfway through the installation, and I am stuck.

My problem is that when running the installer, the MP restarted, thus killing my VNC connection. Judging by the noises, or, now, lack of noises from the HD, the first part of the installation is done, and I should be at the Setup Assistant stage, but I still have no monitor output.

Can anyone suggest anything from here?

1 - Should I turn off the machine and try to target disk mode to setup a VNC before the setup assistant has finished?

2 - I am unsure which 10.7 version it is, it may be 10.7.1, so I need to update, but how?

3 - Can anyone provide instructions to finish off the installation process 'blind'?

4 - How can I get working drivers for the GPU in without a VNC connection?

5 - Aaaarggh - so frustrating, after days of effort, I'm nearly there but stuck, any suggestions from here would be great.

Thanks in advance, and if I haven't been clear enough in my explanation, just ask and I'll try to furnish you with more information.

owbp

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2016
Belgrade, Serbia
It might not be the answer you're looking for, but I would strongly recommend buying original Mac 7300 GT and use it for situations like this. You can find it on eBay for 30 bucks, so it's not crazy investment.
Also, HD5770 and HD6850 have drivers in osx since 10.6.4 IIRC, so you could install any Lion with them, but they go for more than original GT7300 and they require power cable.

VNC sharing has always let me down when I needed it the most, that's why I have some kind of Mac EFI gpu in the drawer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.