Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimlad9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2020
Hello,

I hoped I might get a few pointers on a couple of problems which appeared after a 2006 Mac Pro 1,1 upgrade.

- I added 32gb Ram 8 x 4GB (HYMP151F72CP4N3-Y5-AB-C Hynix) PC2-5300 DDR2-667MHz ECC FB CL5 DIMM. (all shown as ok in the system profile)
- I've added an Ati Radeon Sapphire HD 5870, 1gb, this has 2 large to small 6 pin power cables. (recognised as a 'radeon 5000' by the OS)
- I've installed El Cap, on a separate volume, using the disk image method, as described by Mr Hrutkay on YT.

Symptoms;
1. During a restart request before the chime there was an intermittent whirring motorised noise coming from the lower superdrive tray (audio attached) and it wouldn't restart. So I thought it was odd timing and as I hadn't used the optical drives for years I thought I'd remove them.

It then started up from power on and I thought I'd resolved it, until I tried to restart it from the finder menu. It won't restart when booted in either Lion or El Cap, but it will boot from power on and El Cap loads - without a boot screen.

2. The Mac Apple Wireless Trackpad, which I use daily has gone all jerky, the mouse cursor is intermittently erratic. I've tried another identical trackpad which responds in the same way.

Failed fixes include;
- Resetting the PRAM/NVRAM and SMC, permissions. Safe Boot.
- Restarting from Lion and El Cap.
- Optical drive disconnection - as mentioned.

I'll try swopping back the GPU and then the Memory this evening to try to isolate the problem, I'd welcome thoughts on cause and possible fixes.

It looks a bit like a hardware issue and I'm wondering/guessing about the increase in power usage from the new GPU and whether this might have made a logic board vulnerability apparent.

Thanks.

Jim

Attachments

• MacProSuperdriveNoStart.mp4
    175.9 KB · Views: 19
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.