Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Retcon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2008
Update: All sorted. It turned out I just needed to 'give it some welly'.

Hi All,

After some research, I bought an ATI Radeon 5770 upgrade pack from my local Apple store to replace my broken NVidia 7300 GT for my 2006 Mac Pro.

I've plugged in the power leads, etc, but I can't get the card itself to fit the machine. There's a metal lip on the external-facing port end that's preventing the card from sliding into its slot.

I can't find details of anyone having a similar problem. Is there something else I should be doing?

Thanks!

Last edited:

cal6n

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2004
Gloucester, UK
For future reference, and for anyone finding this thread via a search, a little judicious wiggling while inserting the card at a slight "tail-first" angle is preferable to "giving it some welly", in my experience.

Retcon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2008
Yes -- that's a much clearer articulation of the approach I ultimately took!

I still had to push the tail a little harder against the fixed, rear plastic glider than I was originally comfortable with to get the front-facing metal lip inside, though. That still counts as 'welly', doesn't it?

shawk1

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2012
Graphics Card Upgrade

Save yourself some money, and don't buy it from Apple.

I had this problem and had a difficult time locating the right graphics card that would work with my 2006 mac pro. Everyone referenced older graphics cards, or ones that were discontinued. After trial and error, I found the XFX Radeon graphics cards sold at Best Buy work perfect. They are the same Radeon type, although older, that was previously in my mac when I purchased it new. All I did was pop out the old graphics card, put in the new one, and fired up the computer. After the system uploads it recognized the new card, the screen appeared and it prompted me to select the proper power configuration for the new graphics card. Then the system resets and I are off and running with the new graphics card.

I think any of the XFX Radeon graphics cards will work.

This is the first one I tried. IT worked well but seemed to lack the power.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/XFX+-+On...&skuId=4676591

The second one I tried seems to work much better.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/XFX+-+AM...&skuId=4677014

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.