Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sparkie7

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 17, 2008
Every time I wake up my Mac Pro (Early 2008), the fans come on and the screens go black. Soon after the MP fans go full blast and I have to press the start up button at the front of the machine to Hard shut down the machine or the fans will just stay on full blast, which I have not left for more than 5 minutes, concerned it's not normal nor good for the machine.

I'm in a cool basement so the fans should not be kicking in like that.

I wait 10-15 seconds before Turning the machine back on. Usually it works and everything is fine (till I wake it from sleep the next time or next day), sometimes it repeats and I have to hard shut down, wait and start up again. Happens Every day.

Any ideas what the issue is? Do I have virus or something?

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
Thanks, how does one go about this please
Pull the battery firmly sideways, take care to not break the old plastic.
Measure it, if below 3.0 volts replace it.

It is for supporting the clock and for various system timers. If they gone mad while deep sleep because the clock processor is not supported by the battery the system panics.

sparkie7

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 17, 2008
Pull the battery firmly sideways, take care to not break the old plastic.
Measure it, if below 3.0 volts replace it.

It is for supporting the clock and for various system timers. If they gone mad while deep sleep because the clock processor is not supported by the battery the system panics.

Sorry, how does one measure the voltage, a voltage meter? I don't have one of those

sparkie7

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 17, 2008
sure, its a basic tool like a hammer. Get one, its pretty cheap.

Ok, would it be easier to just change the battery with a new one?

Is getting to battery to change it on the MP easy enough?

Thanks again

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
No meed to measure it, just change it. The batteries are inexpensive.
While a BR2032 is inexpensive, it's not like a CR2032 that you can get from a convenience store near your house.

For example, a BR2032 can be bought from Digikey for less than $2, but you have to pay shipping and then you also have the minimum order for purchase.

Never use a CR2032 with a Mac Pro, the high temperature near the battery holder will cook the CR2032 chemistry and the battery will fail within weeks.

Reactions: sparkie7

m1maverick

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2020
While a BR2032 is inexpensive, it's not like a CR2032 that you can get from a convenience store near your house.

For example, a BR2032 can be bought from Digikey for less than $2, but you have to pay shipping and then you also have the minimum order for purchase.

Never use a CR2032 with a Mac Pro, the high temperature near the battery holder will cook the CR2032 chemistry and the battery will fail within weeks.
Why use Digikey for something so basic:

4 Panasonic BR2032 BR 2032 3V Bulk Button Cell Lithium Batteries

Reactions: sparkie7

rpmurray

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2017
Back End of Beyond
BR2032 is the high temperature variant. A CR2032 is a temporary solution.

I must be the exception to this rule. I replaced the batteries in my two 2008 Mac Pros with the CR2032 several years back and they're still working. If it's a temporary solution then it appears that the definition of temporary has changed.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
I must be the exception to this rule. I replaced the batteries in my two 2008 Mac Pros with the CR2032 several years back and they're still working. If it's a temporary solution then it appears that the definition of temporary has changed.
CR2032 have two serious inconveniences when used as a Mac Pro RTC battery, it's a fast discharge battery and its chemistry is tolerant up to 65ºC. BR2032 is a low discharge battery appropriate for RTC usage and tolerant up to 85ºC, a must for the location, right below the GPU.

Here where I live is winter now and we have 32ºC expected this afternoon, a CR2032 only works for weeks before failing. If where you live don't have a so high ambient temperature and your GPU is a blower type, you probably can get away with a CR2032.

Last edited:

rpmurray

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2017
Back End of Beyond
Here where I live is winter now and we have 32ºC expected this afternoon, a CR2032 only works for weeks before failing. If where you live don't have a so high ambient temperature and your GPU is a blower type, you probably can get away with a CR2032.
Ah, that explains things. These two machines happen to be in an air conditioned server room that never rises above 21ºC. They also have relatively low spec GPUs because they're not used for video work.

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
for a Mac Pro 3,1 the amount and type of ram is also a decent factor. Some higher capacity Ram sticks can get bloody hot cooking the battery as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.