Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wanano_

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2022
I have old 2008 mac pro with flash ati radeon hd 5770. And I wanted to upgrade it, but I had no money so i tried to flash it. The flash seemed to be succesful, but I think it isn't properly flashed. It still works, and I can get into macOS recovery settings. But, I still can't get into startup manager. Do you guys know why this happens and how to fix?

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
the most common mistake is not having the proper keyboard / keyboard connection.

USB 1 Keyboard connected directly on the stock USB Ports. No USB3 card, no hub, no extension cables.

Best choice is an apple keyboard from the days the Mac Pro was made.

Wanano_

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2022
the most common mistake is not having the proper keyboard / keyboard connection.

USB 1 Keyboard connected directly on the stock USB Ports. No USB3 card, no hub, no extension cables.

Best choice is an apple keyboard from the days the Mac Pro was made.
The keyboard works fine, but I get black screen instead, just like before.
Edir: also, I am using apple keyboard, but a little outdated I think.

Last edited:

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
to get preboot commands to the efi firmware it needs a rather old keyboard.

you can check if it works for preboot keys with the nvram clearing keys (cmd-alt-p-r) that works without efi bootscreen gpu.

Wanano_

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2022
to get preboot commands to the efi firmware it needs a rather old keyboard.

you can check if it works for preboot keys with the nvram clearing keys (cmd-alt-p-r) that works without efi bootscreen gpu.
The keyboard works, just it isn't keyboard problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.