Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ashton1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL
I have a Mac Pro (Early 2009) flashed to 5,1 WITH this
AirPort Extreme (0x168C, 0x87) card.
When I look in the Finder I can see the AirDrop icon (the round concentric circles icon) but it doesn't say AirDrop next to it. When I click on it and open it, it does say AirDrop, but I can't connect my laptop (a MBP Late 2011).
Any suggestions as to how I can get this to work? I've seen a lot of people trying to connect to iPhones or iPads which I know may need updated bluetooth (?) but I just want to connect to my laptop...?
Thanks,
Alan. Screen Shot 2019-02-03 at 9.39.40 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-02-03 at 9.39.58 PM.png

haralds

macrumors 68030
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
This might help:
- Turn off SIP
- Load terminal and enter
sudo /usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c "Set:Mac-F221BEC8:ContinuitySupport true" "/System/Library/Frameworks/IOBluetooth.framework/Versions/A/Resources/SystemParameters.plist"
- Reboot
- Turn SIP back on

Ashton1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL
heralds,
I tried this but no success, still have the AirDrop symbol only (doesn't say the word "AirDrop" in the finder sidebar). I tried to put a document in there but it said "Modifying “Hard Drive” requires an administrator name and password"...when I click "Authenticate" it says something like "you can move this to AirDrop but you won't be able to see it. Other users with sufficient permissions will be able to use them" (or something like that)...then if I click OK, I get an Error -8058...
Any ideas?
Thanks!

Ashton1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL
I don't think that's a supported card. Simply put the cMP in the white list (that terminal command) may not be enough.

Did you try CAT yet?
Hmm...but did you see the screenshot I posted? It says card is supported?
Also, not sure what you mean by CAT (I may be out of my depth here in terms of my computer savvy!)
Thanks,

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Also, not sure what you mean by CAT (I may be out of my depth here in terms of my computer savvy!)
Thanks,

Continuity Activation Tool

https://github.com/dokterdok/Continuity-Activation-Tool/tree/beta

I suspect you mod the kext which confused the OS about supportability.

AFAIK, that command should be used for natively Handoff supported card e.g. BCM94360. But not make non supported card provide those new functions.

TheIguana

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2004
Canada
Continuity Activation Tool

https://github.com/dokterdok/Continuity-Activation-Tool/tree/beta

I suspect you mod the kext which confused the OS about supportability.

AFAIK, that command should be used for natively Handoff supported card e.g. BCM94360. But not make non supported card provide those new functions.

Thanks,

"Atheros Wi-Fi AirPort cards will prevent Continuity from working even when adding a Bluetooth 4.0 dongle. The System Diagnostic feature of CAT tells which Wi-Fi brand is active. There are no workarounds and no patch is expected to change this, an AirPort card upgrade is required."

Straight from the CAT site, looks like you need a new Airport Card if you want continuity support or Wifi support in newer MacOS versions. Atheros cards befuddle newer versions of MacOS.

Ashton1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL
"Atheros Wi-Fi AirPort cards will prevent Continuity from working even when adding a Bluetooth 4.0 dongle. The System Diagnostic feature of CAT tells which Wi-Fi brand is active. There are no workarounds and no patch is expected to change this, an AirPort card upgrade is required."

Straight from the CAT site, looks like you need a new Airport Card if you want continuity support or Wifi support in newer MacOS versions. Atheros cards befuddle newer versions of MacOS.

OK, thanks...so looks like the new WiFi card runs about $150, but it would be Bluetooth 4.0 with handoff / AirDrop etc and faster speeds. I was hoping for a cheaper solution, but maybe I'll do some internet digging around and see what I can come up with. Thanks for the info.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
OK, thanks...so looks like the new WiFi card runs about $150, but it would be Bluetooth 4.0 with handoff / AirDrop etc and faster speeds. I was hoping for a cheaper solution, but maybe I'll do some internet digging around and see what I can come up with. Thanks for the info.

There should be lots of low cost solution. I got my card from China 2 years ago.

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...0-keep-updating.1748061/page-25#post-23654356

And this card should only cost about $30 now.

But I bought it from the Chinese site which is more for local (I can use that site because I am in Hong Kong). For western country, you should go for AliExpress and beach for it.

Ashton1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL
There should be lots of low cost solution. I got my card from China 2 years ago.

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...0-keep-updating.1748061/page-25#post-23654356

And this card should only cost about $30 now.

But I bought it from the Chinese site which is more for local (I can use that site because I am in Hong Kong). For western country, you should go for AliExpress and beach for it.

Thanks, appreciate all your input.
Do you think that this would work for me..? (Broadcom BCM943602CS 802.11AC WiFi + Bluetooth 4.0 PC Desktop WLAN Card PCI E 1X). As I understand I could just install that and not require any software patches etc?
Thanks again!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.