Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lilbiscuit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 7, 2016
Everything seems to be in order for my firmware upgrade from 4,1 to 5,1, but upon reboot I am still faced with 4,1 firmware. Here's what I did:

1. Downloaded the Mac Pro 2009 2010 Firmware Upgrade app from netkas.org

2. Downloaded the 2010 1.5 firmware from apple

3. Mounted the Apple firmware

4. Ran the updater. Got Success popup.

5. Shut down machine completely.

6. Started machine, held down power button until power light flashed (also repeated the above process several times, including holding down until sound, and holding down until sign on screen)

7. Got gray screen and progress bar... looked like firmware might be updating...excitement building....

8. go to sign in... signed on, checked About This Mac .... BOOOO same old firmware.

9. I have the stock GT120 graphics card...so should be no EFI issues.

So I've read so many forum posts my eyes and head hurt!! But ...what did I miss?

Machine is A1289 EMC 2314 Dual processor 2.26GHz. I did replace the memory with 1333 memory and reset PRAM one time before trying to upgrade the firmware.

Thoughts? Ideas?

Synchro3

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
The firmware-update should work with your B08 firmware, but you cannot revert back to the old firmware.

Second condition is an EFI-graphics card. And with older OS X versions it's less complicated.

lilbiscuit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 7, 2016
The firmware-update should work with your B08 firmware, but you cannot revert back to the old firmware.

Second condition is an EFI-graphics card. And with older OS X versions it's less complicated.

The graphics card is the stock GT120.... so everything seems to be in order - that's what I can't figure out.

carpsafari

Suspended
Sep 13, 2015
the Netherlands
Well, I assume you run 10.11.4? Looks like EC refuses the firmware upgrade!
I found out last week myself,...after succesfully upgrading at least a dozen MP's I couldn't believe it, but when I tried from my Yosemite boot drive....it immediately worked!

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
It seems 10.11.1 is the problem.

You must disable SIP to make it work, however, install 10.10 or earlier may be the easier (and more guarantee) way.

The B08 is a custom firmware which was loaded on some refurbished machine. In the old days, we believe that only B07 firmware 4,1 can be flashed to 5,1, but it seems someone can successfully flash the B08 as well, however, as Synchro3 points out, you won't be able to flash it back to 4,1, because the software can only downgrade it back to B07 which may not work on your machine.

Reactions: lilbiscuit

lilbiscuit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 7, 2016
It seems 10.11.1 is the problem.

You must disable SIP to make it work, however, install 10.10 or earlier may be the easier (and more guarantee) way.

The B08 is a custom firmware which was loaded on some refurbished machine. In the old days, we believe that only B07 firmware 4,1 can be flashed to 5,1, but it seems someone can successfully flash the B08 as well, however, as Synchro3 points out, you won't be able to flash it back to 4,1, because the software can only downgrade it back to B07 which may not work on your machine.

Thanks @h9826790 I disabled SIP (booted into recovery mode and executed 'csrutil disable' in terminal) then restarted and performed the firmware upgrade procedure again.... WORKED! I did not need to downgrade my OS X version.

Messy

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2010
Surprisingly few people seem to be aware you need to disable SIP to upgrade.

HenryMacPro

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2017
Sorry for dusting off an old topic, but I had to replace my 2009 logic board, and it turns out to have the MP41.0081.B08 bootrom.
Did disable SIP (several times) but I just cant seem to update the firmware... just keeps booting back in Elcapitan 10.11 :-(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.