Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
Guys, I'm in a bit of a panic as my 2009 Mac Pro is no longer powering up. I've replaced the fuse, held the power button for 10 - 15 seconds, checked the connections, unplugged and replugged. Nothing is working.

Possibly the power supply within the Mac has gone?

dataid

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2020
USA
I had a very odd problem with my 2010 Mac Pro 5,1. It would occasionally not power on, sometimes after I got it to power on I could not power it off from the front power switch. Sometimes only after multiple presses on the power switch it would turn on. Of course it would power off after pulling the power cord. Of course this problem occurred randomly. After re-examining my software and OS I concluded that there was no software issue. I got a quote from a local computer service center to service the machine for $800. I decided that before I would junk the machine or replace the power supply I would do some basic trouble shooting, examine the hardware and use the little experience I had in assembling personal computer systems. I suspected an issue with the power system. I started trouble shooting guided by Apple's Technician Guide which can be found on the internet. The power supply tested out okay.

The long and short of the story is that I took out all major components and inspected connectors and reseated them and re-tested sequentially. The problem turned out to be the front panel power switch connector. When I first looked at the front power switch connector there was a tiny bit of gold shining in a nearly impossible to see gap between the male power switch connector and the connector on the small PC board it plugs into on the front of the machine. I wasn't even certain I could see the gap with my bare eyes. I took out my phone and using the camera's magnifying feature, confirmed that there was a tiny gap. I thought to myself that this could not possibly be the issue but went ahead and disconnected and re-seated the front power switch connector. I immediately tested the computer system.

The machine is still working properly to this day.

Reactions: scouser75

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
Thanks guys. I'm going to look up how to disassemble the power socket and also look inside the tower this weekend.

Dataid, your instructions are great and hopefully my situation will be the same as yours. Fingers crossed!

MrScratchHook

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2022
United States
Thanks guys. I'm going to look up how to disassemble the power socket and also look inside the tower this weekend.

Dataid, your instructions are great and hopefully my situation will be the same as yours. Fingers crossed!
i hope you have an easy fix for your problem, but if its not what was stated, then you have to check each hardware individually. this happened to me where the mac power button would light up then turn off. i had to buy another mac pro basic configuration off ebay for 100 dollars then swap out the power supply and cpu tray to test them. at the end i concluded that it was the mother board, i bought another motherboard and it worked.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: scouser75

prefuse07

Suspended
Jan 27, 2020
San Francisco, CA
OP, have you done the diagnostic LED light test? There are diagnostic LED lights on the backplane that can tell you many things...

Look inside, to the left of the fan:

macpro_51_diag_led.png

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
Hi guys,

Thank you for the tips.

I did the light test a few weeks back and didn't see anything glowing up unfortunately. Since then, the Mac Pro issue has been put on the back burner. But now that you guys have kindly suggested a few more tips, I'll pick up on this again tomorrow.

In the meantime, my priority is backing up my MBP M1 as it's had a fault with the auto brightness and is being replaced with an M2. I then need to reconfigure the M2, which is an absolute PiTA!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.