Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yakult121

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 15, 2011

yakult121

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 15, 2011
Sigh…. Okay. I have dead logic boards, defo not PSU fault. Should I start with testing the smd caps for open circuits? What else should be tested?
All suggestions are welcome!

Last edited:

KeesMacPro

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2019
Sigh…. Okay. I have dead logic boards, defo not PSU fault. Should I start with testing the smd caps for open circuits? What else should be tested?
All suggestions are welcome!
IMO testing the caps is a good idea : look for moisture around the caps on the pcb and/or even better measure them with a multimeter.

I would (since you have multiple boards) consider buying a MATT card to test the boards. It's a SPI flash (quick and dirty BootROM) you can plug in to the Logic Board (ignoring the SPI flash on the board).

@tsialex is the expert on this topic. If the boards work with a MATT card, you could ask him to restore the BootROM and flash it to a new SPI flash you could solder in.

Last edited:

yakult121

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 15, 2011
IMO testing the caps is a good idea : look for moisture around the caps on the pcb and/or even better measure them with a multimeter.

I would (since you have multiple boards) consider buying a MATT card to test the boards. It's a SPI flash (quick and dirty BootROM) you can plug in to the Logic Board (ignoring the SPI flash on the board).

@tsialex is the expert on this topic. If the boards work with a MATT card, you could ask him to restore the BootROM and flash it to a new SPI flash you could solder in.
I’ve tried replacing the spi flash with @tsialex ’s advice but the spi replacement didn’t work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.