Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

garethshaw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 30, 2012
Hi all

So first post... I've a Mac Pro 2012 5.1 that works perfectly when running Sierra with the Nvidia web and CUDA drivers. Thought I'd try to upgrade to High Sierra 10.13.6 (17G65) from the latest build of Sierra, not sure build though sorry, although let's just say that the driver and card were working perfectly. After the install it asked me to update the web driver which I did via remote login to driver 387.10.10.10.40.105, which is the correct driver for that build. No screen and the card isn't recognised after rebooting. Remember it was working perfectly under Sierra only an hour earlier.

So, I create an install USB via terminal, format the OS drive, install a fresh copy of HS, then download a copy of the latest driver and install with SIP enabled. Switch the graphics cards and back to not recognised and no screen. Before installing the driver I confirmed that there weren't any updates required to the OS.

Switch cards, boot into safe mode, disable SIP, reboot into normal mode, uninstall, reboot, install latest driver with SIP Disabled, reboot, not recognised and no screen.

I'm about to do a full reinstall again but I'm sure if it's worth doing or whether to just go with Sierra?

I want to run HS but I've tried this so many times since January I've lost count, at first I gave up because the driver wasn't working properly and I wasn't using the machine much, now I will be using it every day and I realy want to run HS as all other machines are running HS.

Help!!

bookemdano

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2011
Have you already confirmed the card still works under Sierra? Could be a crazy coincidence that the card happened to die while you were doing the upgrade.

Is the card modded in any way?

IanK MacPro

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2018
Buckinghamshire, UK
Hi all

So first post... I've a Mac Pro 2012 5.1 that works perfectly when running Sierra with the Nvidia web and CUDA drivers. Thought I'd try to upgrade to High Sierra 10.13.6 (17G65) from the latest build of Sierra, not sure build though sorry, although let's just say that the driver and card were working perfectly. After the install it asked me to update the web driver which I did via remote login to driver 387.10.10.10.40.105, which is the correct driver for that build. No screen and the card isn't recognised after rebooting. Remember it was working perfectly under Sierra only an hour earlier.

So, I create an install USB via terminal, format the OS drive, install a fresh copy of HS, then download a copy of the latest driver and install with SIP enabled. Switch the graphics cards and back to not recognised and no screen. Before installing the driver I confirmed that there weren't any updates required to the OS.

Switch cards, boot into safe mode, disable SIP, reboot into normal mode, uninstall, reboot, install latest driver with SIP Disabled, reboot, not recognised and no screen.

I'm about to do a full reinstall again but I'm sure if it's worth doing or whether to just go with Sierra?

I want to run HS but I've tried this so many times since January I've lost count, at first I gave up because the driver wasn't working properly and I wasn't using the machine much, now I will be using it every day and I realy want to run HS as all other machines are running HS.

Help!!

Have you tried using the 378 driver rather than the 387?

I was having nothing but problems with 387 drivers but was advised in this thread how to roll back the driver:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/nvidia-driver-problems-beyond-10-3-0.2126322/

Diasble SIP and running the code in Terminal worked for me.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.