Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

heychrischin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2024
Hey all!

Long time Apple user, first time Mac Pro tinkerer.

I have a 2012 Mac Pro with the ATI Radeon graphics card.

I'm tinkering around with the computer, and a co-worker brought in a GeForce RTX 480.

Would this graphics card work?

Thanks in advance!

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Hey all!

Long time Apple user, first time Mac Pro tinkerer.

I have a 2012 Mac Pro with the ATI Radeon graphics card.

I'm tinkering around with the computer, and a co-worker brought in a GeForce RTX 480.

Would this graphics card work?

Thanks in advance!

GTX 480 power draw is much superior than the Mac Pro backplane capabilities and even if you make the Pixla's mod, would work only up to High Sierra, it's a Fermi card and not supported with Mojave and newer.

I'd pass on this card, is a space heater nowadays.

heychrischin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2024
GTX 480 power draw is much superior than the Mac Pro backplane capabilities and even if you make the Pixla's mod, would work only up to High Sierra, it's a Fermi card and not supported with Mojave and newer.

I'd pass on this card, is a space heater nowadays.
Gotcha. So, for clarity, this card will not get me the Metal support I'm looking for on this. Correct?

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Gotcha. So, for clarity, this card will not get me the Metal support I'm looking for on this. Correct?

No METAL support with NVIDIA GPUs earlier than GT/GTX 6xx (and only for the models that are made with Kepler based GPUs).

GTX 480 is a Fermi GPU and was more than 2 years old when your mid-2012 was brand new, no METAL support.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.