Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aladdin Sane

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2023
New York
Hi,
I have a 2013 Mac Pro, it's the 3.5 Ghz 6-core. Been having DIMM issues, and now one of the slots does not recognize RAM. I can see that in this problem slot a couple of pins look broken. Not sure if I did this when troubleshooting (I was swapping DIMM modules quite a bit). But I might want to replace the CPU riser board (pretty sure that's the board that houses the memory).

Seems the riser board also holds the processor chip - can someone confirm this?

I see on Ebay there are riser boards, some with processor chips on them. I think there's a board without a processor chip on it. I'm trying to find out what's the best thing to do.
1. Buy a board without a processor, and put my processor in it? (Is this complicated?)

2. Or buy a board with a faster processor? (Any downside to this?)

3. Or buy a board with the same processor?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

TzunamiOSX

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2009
Germany
The CPU is not soldered. You can use the old CPU, buy a board with a faster CPU included or buy a board without CPU and a separate CPU.

Look for the best Prize.

Reactions: Aladdin Sane

Aladdin Sane

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2023
New York
Thanks! Yea I did figure this out after some research, and was able to find a board with a 12-core CPU for under $200 on Ebay. It'll be a nice upgrade!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.