Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

solaris8x86

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 24, 2007
Saturn
I am considering to get an used Mac Pro 2013 (D700) for graphical application.

I would like to know. If I am going to use OpenCore Legacy Patcher v0.67 with Ventura 13.4 on Mac Pro 2013 (trash can). Will it have GPU (D700) hardware acceleration on h264 and H265 (HEVC) on both encoding and decoding?

Can anyone confirm? Thanks.

flat4

Contributor
Jul 14, 2009
from their page

Mac Pro​

SMBIOSYearSupportedComment
MacPro1,1Mid 2006NO32-Bit Firmware limitation
MacPro2,1Mid 2007
MacPro3,1Early 2008YES- UHCI/OHCI support in Public Beta, see current issues (#1021

(opens new window))
- Potential boot issues with stock Bluetooth card, recommend removing to avoid kernel panics
MacPro4,1Early 2009- Everything is supported as long as GPU is Metal capable
- UHCI/OHCI support in Public Beta, see current issues (#1021

(opens new window))
MacPro5,1Mid 2010, Mid 2012
MacPro6,1Late 2013- DRM support is flak

Last edited:

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
I am considering to get an used Mac Pro 2013 (D700) for graphical application.

I would like to know. If I am going to use OpenCore Legacy Patcher v0.67 with Ventura 13.4 on Mac Pro 2013 (trash can). Will it have GPU (D700) hardware acceleration on h264 and H265 (HEVC) on both encoding and decoding?

Can anyone confirm? Thanks.

There is no HEVC hardware encoding or decoding with any Mac Pro GPU before Polaris (RX460/480/etc) - Tahiti GPUs were released back in 22 of December 2011 while HEVC spec was first published in 7 June 2013, so, no hardware support of HEVC with a D500/D700 VCE/UVD ASICs. D300 is based on Pitcairn, which also doesn't have support for HEVC.

For h.264 acceleration D300/D500/D700 already have the ASICs required for hardware acceleration, but usually only works correctly when the macOS release still have drivers that support the GPU. With Ventura Apple completely removed the drivers and any support for D300/D500/D700.

CrazyDane

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2023
Hi :) New in here! Can anyone help me with my Mac Pro 2013 ? I got very cheap but I am having trouble finding out how to connect my screen with it ? I tried using usb a on the Mac Pro and hdmi on the screen but I am not satisfied with the quality so how what do I need to go from usb a to the usb c on the screen ? :)

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Hi :) New in here! Can anyone help me with my Mac Pro 2013 ? I got very cheap but I am having trouble finding out how to connect my screen with it ? I tried using usb a on the Mac Pro and hdmi on the screen but I am not satisfied with the quality so how what do I need to go from usb a to the usb c on the screen ? :)

Connect your display from the Mac Pro miniDP ports, the six Thunderbolt ports are mDP 1.2 at the same time.

solaris8x86

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 24, 2007
Saturn
There is no HEVC hardware encoding or decoding with any Mac Pro GPU before Polaris (RX460/480/etc) - Tahiti GPUs were released back in 22 of December 2011 while HEVC spec was first published in 7 June 2013, so, no hardware support of HEVC with a D500/D700 VCE/UVD ASICs. D300 is based on Pitcairn, which also doesn't have support for HEVC.

For h.264 acceleration D300/D500/D700 already have the ASICs required for hardware acceleration, but usually only works correctly when the macOS release still have drivers that support the GPU. With Ventura Apple completely removed the drivers and any support for D300/D500/D700.

So, it is a no go for the trash can Mac Pro.... even with the Opencore thing...

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
So, it is a no go for the trash can Mac Pro.... even with the Opencore thing...

Why OpenCore would support something that is not present in the hardware?!? You can say that is possible that developers find a way to enable H.264 compression and decompression support with MacPro6,1 and Ventura someday, but not for the inexistent HEVC.

Reactions: throAU

solaris8x86

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 24, 2007
Saturn
Why OpenCore would support something that is not present in the hardware?!? You can say that is possible that developers find a way to enable H.264 compression and decompression support with MacPro6,1 and Ventura someday, but not for the inexistent HEVC.
As my objective is to go get a trash can. If there's no foreseeable hope in the future. I wouldn't buy it. I would just go get a Macbook Pro 2019 i9 instead. At least the MBP is still in the apple support list. So "possible" anything is unrealistic for my investment right now.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
As my objective is to go get a trash can. If there's no foreseeable hope in the future. I wouldn't buy it. I would just go get a Macbook Pro 2019 i9 instead. At least the MBP is still in the apple support list. So "possible" anything is unrealistic for my investment right now.

Buying the MacBook Pro would be the sensible option, however if you want modern codec support you'd be very much better off getting one with Apple Silicon which does actually have the support, and ideally a MacBook Pro as they have hardware support for ProRes as well (plus more cores).

Buying a trashcan Mac Pro (for anything other than aesthetics) is a bad idea in 2023.

Xenobius

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2019
It is theoretically possible to force the 2013 Mac Pro to work with the eGPU (e.g. RX 6600/6800/6900 XT), but the low bandwidth of Thunderbolt 2 can severely limit performance in some applications. However, if the monitor was connected to the eGPU, H264/265 acceleration should work (I think).

The 2013 Mac Pro is a beautiful machine. This is an absolutely unique design in the history of technology. Admittedly Apple considered it a failure and a mistake, but I disagree. It was just the positioning that was wrong - it wasn't a 'Mac Pro' but a 'Mac Studio' or 'Mac mini Pro'.
Apple can create great things, but sometimes it struggles with the simplest things and basic strategies. This is sick.

Last edited:

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
The 2013 Mac Pro is a beautiful machine. This is an absolutely unique design in the history of technology. Admittedly Apple considered it a failure and a mistake, but I disagree. It was just the positioning that was wrong - it wasn't a 'Mac Pro' but a 'Mac Studio' or 'Mac mini Pro'.

I look at the 2013 Mac Pro as like the Cube.

Looks neat, collectible - but compromised for actual performance.

mcnallym

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2008
Even back in 2013 when the trashcan launched there was a lot of complaints when the MBP released next murdered it in h264 export which was basically the built in hardware acceleration on the MBP.

the Xeon lacked the built in quicksync of the i Series processors and there was no T2 series chip to do the encode/decode either.

if h264 or h265 is your key medium then really none of the Mac Pro’s are ideal.

Reactions: solaris8x86

solaris8x86

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 24, 2007
Saturn
Even back in 2013 when the trashcan launched there was a lot of complaints when the MBP released next murdered it in h264 export which was basically the built in hardware acceleration on the MBP.

the Xeon lacked the built in quicksync of the i Series processors and there was no T2 series chip to do the encode/decode either.

if h264 or h265 is your key medium then really none of the Mac Pro’s are ideal.

That's truth. The Mac Pro 2013 is a totally useless Mac now. Can't even do video editing effectively.. no way of GPU hardware acceleration anymore after Monterey.... may be it is still barely ok for web browsing.. .LOL...

Reactions: Calaveras

jessephord

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2023
That's truth. The Mac Pro 2013 is a totally useless Mac now. Can't even do video editing effectively.. no way of GPU hardware acceleration anymore after Monterey.... may be it is still barely ok for web browsing.. .LOL...
That is unequivocally not true. That's someone speaking without actually using the machine and reading internet fodder.

safari70

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2006
ON

Maybe for video, but not all computing needs rely on GPU hw acceleration... For example, I picked up a cheap one with 12core and 128GB RAM which is perfect to host large sample libraries for music production (working perfectly well for the last few months).

Dlprod3

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2022

Hi
I'm running a 2010 Mac Pro
12 core / 96gbs RAM / Vega 64
BigSur OS

Is there a way to enable GPU Hardware acceleration without using opencore?

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Hi
I'm running a 2010 Mac Pro
12 core / 96gbs RAM / Vega 64
BigSur OS

Is there a way to enable GPU Hardware acceleration without using opencore?

Not with signed sealed volumes (BigSur forwards). This is correct thread for VideoToolbox hardware assistance:

Dlprod3

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2022
Not with signed sealed volumes (BigSur forwards). This is correct thread for VideoToolbox hardware assistance:

Oh ok. My concern is that opencore wasn't used in installing BigSur on my mac initially. Do I just install opencore? Forgive me I'm new at this.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Oh ok. My concern is that opencore wasn't used in installing BigSur on my mac initially. Do I just install opencore? Forgive me I'm new at this.

Seems something is wrong, since Big Sur requires OpenCore to run - you can't run Big Sur and newer macOS releases without OpenCore with a MacPro5,1.

The thread I've linked have all the info on the first post and it's the thread that you need for asking questions.

Dlprod3

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2022

Thank you for your help. I've since rectified my opencore issue. I've recently installed a Radeon VII. I'm powering it with an external PSU. (EVGA 650 BQ). It runs great when the computer is on but when I power the computer off the fans on the GPU begin and continue to spin at high speed. The only way I can stop it is by powering off the external GPU. How can I stop this from happening? Shouldn't the GPU power off? I didn't have this issue with a Vega 64 GPU.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Thank you for your help. I've since rectified my opencore issue. I've recently installed a Radeon VII. I'm powering it with an external PSU. (EVGA 650 BQ). It runs great when the computer is on but when I power the computer off the fans on the GPU begin and continue to spin at high speed. The only way I can stop it is by powering off the external GPU. How can I stop this from happening? Shouldn't the GPU power off? I didn't have this issue with a Vega 64 GPU.

Don't know, but you can install a power on/power off control board for the external PSU. Years ago there was a thread about that.

Last edited:

Dlprod3

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2022
Don't know, but you can install a power on/power off control board for the external GPU. Years ago there was a thread about that.
You mean External PSU correct? The GPU is sitting inside the Mac Pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.