Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macguru9999

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 9, 2006
I recently received a client's 2013 trash can with a 2tb owc aura x2 nvme drive installed, but he could not install/clone from his old drive. Fine. I cloned his old system from the original drive an old 1tb aura that was working fine with sierra. YES, I updated the firmware to the latest with an apple ssd, YES, I installed high sierra to recognise the nvme drive. I also tried mojave. drive shows up fine of course. So i did the migration.

The problem is, he is now getting numerous problems, wireless and bluetooth cutting out, even some wired usb keyboards dropping out and beach balling. something is lagging...When i tried mojave, i could not migrate from his backup, it cut out half way. I DONT think its just software, i think there is an issue with the aura nvme drive, and he is bringing it back. I am putting the original ssd & system back in. BUT, are there any other thoughts with nvme or specifically OWC nvme drives in a 6,1 ?? I will do a block scan but as i said the current plan is to return the 2tb drive to owc......

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
I recently received a client's 2013 trash can with a 2tb owc aura x2 nvme drive installed, but he could not install/clone from his old drive. Fine. I cloned his old system from the original drive an old 1tb aura that was working fine with sierra. YES, I updated the firmware to the latest with an apple ssd, YES, I installed high sierra to recognise the nvme drive. I also tried mojave. drive shows up fine of course. So i did the migration.

The problem is, he is now getting numerous problems, wireless and bluetooth cutting out, even some wired usb keyboards dropping out and beach balling. something is lagging...When i tried mojave, i could not migrate from his backup, it cut out half way. I DONT think its just software, i think there is an issue with the aura nvme drive, and he is bringing it back. I am putting the original ssd & system back in. BUT, are there any other thoughts with nvme or specifically OWC nvme drives in a 6,1 ?? I will do a block scan but as i said the current plan is to return the 2tb drive to owc......
Check for bad connections, MP6,1 works very poorly with anything connected intermittently, AirPort card connections are notorious for this. ASD usually show the problem.

MP6,1 works fine with updated firmware + High Sierra and NVMe drives, but do the diagnose with a real Apple 12+16 blade.

Reactions: macguru9999

macguru9999

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 9, 2006
Well I have the trash can here and he has a host of self inflicted problems, i would say he was bogged down with icloud uploads over adsl that maxxed out his upload (and hence download) speeds, he also had 760GB of unneeded cache files in library/app spt/adobe/common..... BUT the blackmagic speedtest for the aura x2 nvme is 450 write 800ish read. Thats crap write speed isn't it?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.