Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

end3rl3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2021
I have the 2013 Mac Pro. I had 3 x Dell 4K monitors and it worked fine.

I bought a Samsung 49" Ultra-wide monitor.

The monitor has HDMI or DisplayPort inputs.

On HDMI it only offers up to 3840 x 1080 resolution which is very blurry font.

I tried mini-DisplayPort to full DisplayPort v1.4 and it provides the higher resolution of this monitor (5120 x 1440) BUT everything is extremely unreadable. For example, the login screen is literally at the end of the monitor.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

OlMa

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2021
Hi

I have the same issue here, I replaced my Eizo 32" 4k monitor by the Samsung G9 Odyssey.
With DisplayPort the best I can have is 3840x1080 at 60Hz (with adaptive-Sync disable)

My PC have no issue to handle the 5120x1440 resolution at 240 Hz by the way.

mikas

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2017
Finland
No luck here either. I've got an 2013 with D300s and the former model Odyssey, Samsung C49RG90 at 5120x1440. I tried DP and HDMI cables, I believe those were quality enough products for the required bandwidth.

This 2013 is not my primary home office mac, though I do have an eGPU to drive 5120x1440 too. It just does not seem to be without a hassle to use eGPU. At least not with this unsupported Mac. I need to have that TB2-TB3 Apple adapter, and need to batch my system with PurgeWrangler. I haveto disable SIP and boot authenticated-root disabled too. It seems authenticated-root disabling doesn't survive over boots, which is the worst culprit for me.

Otherwise, the performance is good. I've got a Vega56 in a Razor Core X.

end3rl3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2021
If anyone else is out there - here is what I did to resolve the issue.

Plug in 2 display port cables from the mac pro to the monitor then turn on PBP (picture beside picture). It acts as 2 screens (which I actually like). Then in the mac os x settings turn on the ability to span applications multiple windows to allow you to move windows between and on both screens, etc.

It works great now and I have the "magnet" app to hotkey moving windows around and snapping to sides, corners, etc.

Thanks for your guys replies and good luck!

mistermac.us

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2021
This guy had both of your setups (2015 MBPro, which is basically the same) and replaced it with a M1!

mikas

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2017
Finland
Ok, I am giving the 6,1 the Last Ride of the Day.
Razor Core X with Radeon VII 16GB. E5-1650v2, 64GB RAM. Dell P2715Q 4K + Dell U2515H WQHD.

I have considered the 7,1 too for the last couple of weeks. It's not a so desirable a product to or for me. So let's see what it's all about today with a 6,1.

The reason for this is the deprecation of 5,1 + latest  OS. I do realize great efforts are being under development, with late bloom mainly. But I have to deliver my work, today and tomorrow.

There is a reason to not buy a M1 for me. Memory, and GPU. Both suffer a lot for my work, and really too much to do my work. To do my work at all that is.

That's why I'll try my secondary option for a while. To wait for something Apple is not willing to give any information about.

A 6,1 and the latest  OS with it. My main software now supports the latest  OS, eventually. Great. So nice. So let's try. With an eGPU VII. eGPU VII is 45k versus 50+ in LuxMark as an eGPU compared to PCIe 2.0 card.

edit and On Topic. I will try my Samsung with this soon too. G9 earlier model 5120x1440.

Attachments

• Last try with trashcan 2.jpg
    Last try with trashcan 2.jpg
    408.8 KB · Views: 117
  • Last try with trashcan.jpg
    Last try with trashcan.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:

mikas

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2017
Finland
Putting it to sleep is s*it. Razor goes extreme with fans. I'll try to maneuver with it. Phuuh.

Stex

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2021
NYC
The reason for this is the deprecation of 5,1 + latest  OS. I do realize great efforts are being under development, with late bloom mainly. But I have to deliver my work, today and tomorrow.

Hi @mikas --- I completely understand your situation, yet I would still encourage you to read this recent post by @cdf pasted below. You could maybe try OC+Latebloom on one of your 5,1 cMPs to see whether it is ok enough for your everyday work needs?

If you don't need to shutdown/restart too often, I would say the current workaround provides a reliable option to keep these machines going for a bit more time. As long as you have a fresh/good BR2032 battery, putting the cMP to sleep either manually or by the system works perfectly (for me).

Reactions: mikas

mikas

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2017
Finland
Thanks four encouraging. I probably will do that too. I don't normally restart unless absolutely necessary, like for a security update or so. That would be very rarely these days. I have all covered up by daily CCC backups, and DropBox business account has got a few months of recoverable files for all of my work documents. But I am still scared of data loss, which seems to be possible with cMP + Big Sur 11.3 and above problems.

Kryptonite is now the successor of PurgeWrangler. I updated the software, and it says you can have SIP and authenticated root enabled too from now on. That's great. I think I need to PayPal something to mac_editor.

I have mostly used my G9 like end3rl3 above. It's got 3 inputs and you can divide the screen between two inputs. That's the most workable set-up for me too. I haven't tried that with eGPU yet, I hope it still works all the same.

I still have a 10 core 2690 v2 in the drawer waiting to get in the cylinder. It just seems I don't necessarily need it anymore now that I have my VII's in use for rendering 3D viz.

And who knows, I might end up scoring a Radeon 6800 XT some lucky thursday from AMD.com.
:rolleyes:
I don't know how big of an improvement that would be over VII though.

edit. read the post from cdf, thanks for pointing that out. I'll remember that then proceeding forward with my cMPs to Big Sur later..

edit. corrections..

Last edited:
Reactions: Stex
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.