Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

naujoks

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 6, 2008
London, UK
I have a Mac Pro 2013 which was working fine until today, when on booting the WiFi mouse wasn't working.
I held the power button pressed to power down the machine.
When trying to restart it, the fan won't spin up and there's no boot chime. The only sign of life is the lights at the back coming on, staying on for 15 seconds and then go off again.
What could be the problem?

naujoks

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 6, 2008
London, UK
One thing I noted is that all lights at the back are lighting up, except the power button itself.

naujoks

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 6, 2008
London, UK
Yes, I see that now.
I did the NVRAM reset (no change), but the SMC reset it simply unplugging it for a bit and then turning it back on?

Desktop computer
If your Mac isn't a laptop computer, follow these steps:
Shut down your Mac, then unplug the power cord.
Wait 15 seconds, then plug the power cord back in.
Wait 5 seconds, then press the power button to turn on your Mac.

Either way, I did that and it still doesn't work.
I read that a run down SMBIOS battery might be the reason for the fault, so I swapped that for a new one, although the old one was at 3.06V and probably fine.

bax2023

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2023
Serbia
I've tried the PSU from another Trashcan and also swapped the CPU.
Same result.
Are you in position to swap I/O boards ?

Screenshot 2024-03-25 at 22.05.15.png

bax2023

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2023
Serbia
So, you have cleard NVRAM, reset the SMC, swapped PSU, I/O board nad Logic Board, and its still the same problem ?

You could try with different, 100% good RAM modules before going to CPU board and after that I'm out of ideas. There is no reason to suspect on GPUs or NVMe with those symptoms.

naujoks

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 6, 2008
London, UK
That is correct. I've swapped the CPU as well.
So really the issue can only be with the CPU board. But why should that break all of a sudden?

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
That is correct. I've swapped the CPU as well.
So really the issue can only be with the CPU board. But why should that break all of a sudden?
who knows? 10 year old computer box can break any time. Time to move to newer machine.

dtelena

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2012
Hi, I am on the same boat. Exactly the same symptons and I have tried everthing too: swapped PSU, I/O board, CPU, memory, etc. even changed the BR2032 battery for a new one... the only thing I haven't swapped is the circle logic board and the CPU riser card (the one that contains the CPU itself and the RAM slots) so I guess the problem must be in one of these cards but how should I know for sure which is the faulty one? It doesn't make sense that a computer doesn't turn on (well sometimes it does turn on, sometimes takes several minutes to turn on and in most cases it doesn't do anything at all so looks like random pattern) due to any of these two boards I haven't swapped, right? or are they?

I have ran ASD several times and every time the results are the same: NO issues at all !!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.