Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seasurfer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2007
What do you think of the Mac Pro 2019 and gaming with the Radeon Pro Vega II Duo?

Do you all think it can play game reasonably well with the 6K monitor?

JesperA

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
Sweden
WITH the 6k monitor, sure, AT 6k resolution though; obviously depends on the game but since there is no gaming benchmark of the Duo, we can only guess. Generally WS GPU:s are not optimal for gaming though

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
It can probably play games well.. but erm... why would you want to with that GPUs in the machine? They're not gaming GPUs. But also, why type of games were you thinking of?

seasurfer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2007
It can probably play games well.. but erm... why would you want to with that GPUs in the machine? They're not gaming GPUs. But also, why type of games were you thinking of?

I usually play World of Warcraft and Diablo III.

The iMac Pro 2017 with Vega 56 can play just fine, but not that great.

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
I usually play World of Warcraft and Diablo III.

The iMac Pro 2017 with Vega 56 can play just fine, but not that great.

I think it'll be more of the fine, but not that great, given that these GPUs aren't meant for gaming.

That said, if they do allow Nvidea graphics at some point, then it'd be better, or if you're wishing to deal with the driver issues, then it could be ok.

Flint Ironstag

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2013
Houston, TX USA
People always crow "it's not meant for gaming", and "it's not optimal" as if you're going to have some sub-par experience. It's a 14 TFLOP card - of course it can play games. I plunk down that kind of money, it damn well better be able to game after a hard day's work. You expect 7,1 owners to buy a GeForce just to game on? The AMD cards will do just fine. Rock on, seasurfer.

I wouldn't expect to run WoW at 6k though. :D

Now if you want to have an interesting discussion, let's talk about this new Metal feature (I forget what it's called) that allows the OS to see all the GPUs as a single device. That might bring some interesting performance gains.

jameslmoser

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
Assuming Bootcamp will work with this machine (not sure why it wouldn't, but...) you could just put an Nvidia card in it and boot into windows for gaming. It has standard pcie slots. =)

Its a shame OSX/Vmware Fusion doesn't allow PCI passthrough... =)

Maybe one could put three graphics cards in it, run linux as the host, and pass a video card through to mac os and windows vms! That would be an awesome setup.

[doublepost=1560298599][/doublepost]
Not optimal how?

Mainly drivers.

Flint Ironstag

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2013
Houston, TX USA
The OP plays Diablo III & World of Warcraft, both of which run on MacOS. Why on earth would they boot into Windows when the proposed machine has a Radeon Pro Vega II Duo? The games will fly as-is. What need would you possibly have for an Nvidia card for OP's stated purpose?

So what if the drivers don't offer power & overclocking tweaks - once you're running D3 at 300 FPS at ultra settings, what more do you want?

I don't see anything about drivers that would negatively impact OP's gaming experience - the card has plenty of horsepower for their intended titles.

jameslmoser

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
The OP plays Diablo III & World of Warcraft, both of which run on MacOS. Why on earth would they boot into Windows when the proposed machine has a Radeon Pro Vega II Duo? The games will fly as-is. What need would you possibly have for an Nvidia card for OP's stated purpose?

So what if the drivers don't offer power & overclocking tweaks - once you're running D3 at 300 FPS at ultra settings, what more do you want?

I don't see anything about drivers that would negatively impact OP's gaming experience - the card has plenty of horsepower for their intended titles.

I was talking about optimized gaming in general, not for those specific games... you know... as in the title of the thread
"Mac Pro 2019 and Gaming"

Reactions: mrxak

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
Not at 6k. Probably could handle 4K resolution.

You didn’t mention what else you’d be using the machine for, but that monitor would not be good for gaming. It would be fine if you were also doing high end video editing or something. But if you aren’t that display is totally a bad choice. Much better options cheaper.
[doublepost=1560302531][/doublepost]
I was talking about optimized gaming in general, not for those specific games... you know... as in the title of the thread

Metal is running fairly even with Windows these days, assuming the port was good. OpenGL games are still a problem.

Flint Ironstag

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2013
Houston, TX USA
I'm talking about... you know... the games OP specifically mentioned before you chimed in. They are MacOS native, not ports, and will fly on that hardware. Whether or not Blizzard will update them to run at 6k, and how they will perform at that level is unknown. I imagine you'd need to drop down to 4k. The proposed hardware is more than enough to run them.

I reckon OP will have a very satisfactory experience with those titles, and won't give a damn if it's optimal or not.

Let us know, seasurfer :).

ssgbryan

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
People always crow "it's not meant for gaming", and "it's not optimal" as if you're going to have some sub-par experience. It's a 14 TFLOP card - of course it can play games. I plunk down that kind of money, it damn well better be able to game after a hard day's work. You expect 7,1 owners to buy a GeForce just to game on? The AMD cards will do just fine. Rock on, seasurfer.

I wouldn't expect to run WoW at 6k though. :D

Now if you want to have an interesting discussion, let's talk about this new Metal feature (I forget what it's called) that allows the OS to see all the GPUs as a single device. That might bring some interesting performance gains.

AMD Pro Render Engine does that - It also sees the CPUs and system ram as well as the GPUs.

And it doesn't care if you are team red or team green.

Reactions: Flint Ironstag

thornslack

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2013
Running games under OSX seems sort of silly if you’ve ever played the same title in windows. The performance delta is significant.

That being said, I would love to have a nCMP to put windows on :p

jameslmoser

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
I'm talking about... you know... the games OP specifically mentioned before you chimed in. They are MacOS native, not ports, and will fly on that hardware.

You mean the ones he said he "usually" played?? So he mentioned those two games and now all of a sudden the whole thread must be limited to those two, and the mac edition of them at that. Got it.

Reactions: mrxak and ssgbryan

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
What do you think of the Mac Pro 2019 and gaming with the Radeon Pro Vega II Duo?

Probably should wait until you see what the Pro Vega II Duo will cost. If gaming is the primary objective for that module you are probably going to be disappointed.

For the price of that whole system MP+Duo+6k ? No, from the perspective of reasonable 'bang for the buck".

Also highly doubtful any game developers are going to spend substantive time trying to optimize for that configuration. Nor is Apple probably going to spend much time on that use case either ( tweaking for higher frame rates) .

Kpjoslee

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
For Radeon Pro Vega II duo as gaming GPU. Reminder that there aren't that many games supporting dual GPU, so most of the time, it would be as good as Radeon 7 in terms of gaming performance, which is about as good as RTX 2080.
So will it play games well, yeah, since it would be as good as 2nd best GPU in the market right now. But from a bang for the buck perspective, you would be better off with 2080ti custom system with 1/4 the price of Mac Pro.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
So will it play games well, yeah, since it would be as good as 2nd best GPU in the market right now. But from a bang for the buck perspective, you would be better off with 2080ti custom system with 1/4 the price of Mac Pro.

I get the impression that (for the OP) bang for buck doesn't really matter.

TO ME
... It sounds like the OP is planning to get the MP7,1 (gaming aside) for his/her use, and just wants to know if it can be expected to give decent performance with the games mentioned. My GUESS would be yes, it will.

th0masp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2015

Well if there is such a feature wouldn't it also directly benefit the dual GPUs in the still-current Mac Pro? As in: the feature they should have had in 2014? :)

Reactions: Flint Ironstag

th0masp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2015
Since the official Apple Vega 7 is advertised as having 32 GB of RAM I expect it to be priced like full-on workstation cards. Probably a good deal higher than the Titan RTX, seeing as it's got more RAM and is the certified, blessed and only option for the MP.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008

The Vega Pro II is a faster version of Radeon VII with much more VRAM. It will perform close to GeForce 2080 GTX in most games. The duo version is two of these GPUs stacked together.

That said, MP is a total waste of money for gaming and you probably won’t get most recent windows drivers for those GPUs. If you are buying it for work though and also want to enjoy occasional gaming, it will most likely be a rather decent gaming PC.
[doublepost=1560333404][/doublepost]

I don’t think there is anything like this in Metal 3? It would also run agains the core idea of a modern graphics API which is meant to give you predictable performance and close to metal access. Multi-GPU support has to be explicitly coded in for Metal, DX12, Vulcan as far as I know (and anyway, implementing simple alternate frame rendering for multiple GPUs is not that difficult if your engine is well designed).

Maybe you are referring to the new peer group API, that allows faster data transfers between GPUs in crossfire configurations?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.