Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nopster

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2009
So folks with Sonnet cards... which slot is it installed in... I'm wondering the x8 slots are behind a PCI switch, and Sonnet's cards have a PCI bridge chip to allocate lanes between the SSDs... could that doubling up of lane negotiating infrastructure be the problem?

Is there anyone with a single SSD (as in only hosts 1) card exhibiting this behaviour?
Sorry for delay, I was not able to have Mac Pro switched on for hours.
Once opened, I discovered a thing that I forgot: Inside there were 2 Sonnet cards. One for SSD MVME, the other card is a Sonnet for SSD Sata III, which I used in the old Mac Pro. This card was mounted some year ago on the 5th slot, but it is empty, no HD. So I unmount this card. Tried to boot: I unmounted the Sonnet card NVME, installed on the 4th bay 16X, because Sonoma did it again. So this time I moved the Sonnet card on the 5th 16X slot: now seems that, this time, disconnections have decreased. It's the only card installed on the Mac Pro: I also have the Pegasus enclosure with 2 HDD Sata III 3,5 installed on top.
Anyway, the Sonnet card sometimes randomly disconnect.
Hoping that the next Sonoma update can solve this terrible bug, but I'm not so confident about it

cobra521

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2016
FL
I have two X4 silent Sonnet cards installed in slots 5 & 7. When one disappears it is usually the same one. I still have to figure out which slot's card that is happening to.

That places one card in a 16-bit slot, the other in an 8-bit slot. Would moving the 16-bit card to an 8-bit slot make a difference?

My Expansion Slot Utility says Pool A is allocated 100%, Pool B 125%.

I do have Automatic Bandwidth Configuration checked. Could that make a difference?

Tom

Daily PRAM Resets

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2024
I've been able to reach Sonnet and they confirm there is a bug with Sonoma and they have replicated it. Sonnet have started a bug report with Apple, but it could be some time before a fix is made and then rolled out to the masses. Until then, don't upgrade to Sonoma!!

lomahs

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2016
I use two "normal" PCIe plug-in cards for NVME SSDs (Lexar NM790 2TB as boot drive, Samsung 980 1TB for files).
The boot volume is not recognized for no apparent reason almost 50% of the time when switching on. After a restart it usually works. One of the cards is a Aquacomputer kryoM.2 evo PCIe 3.0 x4.
The Mac then does not start from the internal SSD but only shows that there is no startup drive.
This behavior first occurred with macOS 13 and persists with macOS 14.2.1.
The whole thing is a bit annoying...

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
May 22, 2014
I use two "normal" PCIe plug-in cards for NVME SSDs (Lexar NM790 2TB as boot drive, Samsung 980 1TB for files).
The boot volume is not recognized for no apparent reason almost 50% of the time when switching on. After a restart it usually works. One of the cards is a Aquacomputer kryoM.2 evo PCIe 3.0 x4.
The Mac then does not start from the internal SSD but only shows that there is no startup drive.
This behavior first occurred with macOS 13 and persists with macOS 14.2.1.
The whole thing is a bit annoying...

Strange. does this happen only with multiple drives or even a single drive/card? My Highpoint card and micron 9300 pro drive seem to stay mounted.

Last edited:

lomahs

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2016
Strange. does this happen only with multiple drives or even a wing drive/card? My Highpoint card and micron 9300 pro drive seem to stay mounted.
Sorry, what means "wing drive"?
After the MacPro has recognized the startup drive (possibly only after several attempts), everything works permanently without errors. None of the hard disks or other SSDs fail during operation.

Reactions: ZombiePhysicist

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
May 22, 2014
Sorry, what means "wing drive"?
After the MacPro has recognized the startup drive (possibly only after several attempts), everything works permanently without errors. None of the hard disks or other SSDs fail during operation.

Sorry, autocorrect. It should have said "single..drive".

profdraper

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
Sorry for delay, I was not able to have Mac Pro switched on for hours.
Once opened, I discovered a thing that I forgot: Inside there were 2 Sonnet cards. One for SSD MVME, the other card is a Sonnet for SSD Sata III, which I used in the old Mac Pro. This card was mounted some year ago on the 5th slot, but it is empty, no HD. So I unmount this card. Tried to boot: I unmounted the Sonnet card NVME, installed on the 4th bay 16X, because Sonoma did it again. So this time I moved the Sonnet card on the 5th 16X slot: now seems that, this time, disconnections have decreased. It's the only card installed on the Mac Pro: I also have the Pegasus enclosure with 2 HDD Sata III 3,5 installed on top.
Anyway, the Sonnet card sometimes randomly disconnect.
Hoping that the next Sonoma update can solve this terrible bug, but I'm not so confident about it
No, only applies to Sonoma, eg, Monterey works perfectly as it should. Apple support is full of this stuff but as yet unanswered. And no, is not excluseively about Sonnet or any external drive for that matter & there a million time-waisting excuses for that out there, eg, encription, booting from recovery to fix, etc etc. None of these work or are relevant to the specific problem. Clearly is ***** coding in Sonoma.

BTW the *only* fixes I have found are to 1) boot into Monterey (all good) then re-boot into Sonoma & then the mounting temporarily works, or 2) in Sonoma, re-boot after both resetting the SMC and zapping the PRAM. Still only temporary though. PITA. Most reliable is to stay with Moterey - oh, but now we're being force updated to Sonoma it would seem:

J-MI

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2012
The mounting problems are also with owc accelsior 4m2 and Aquacomputer kryoM.2 evo PCIe 3.0 x4.
If it's gonna happen, both disappears...
Last week I replaced my Sonnet card, which was causing disconnection problems under Sonoma, with an OWC card. Since the replacement, I have not had any disconnection problems with the OWC card.

Reactions: ZombiePhysicist

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
I've been able to reach Sonnet and they confirm there is a bug with Sonoma and they have replicated it. Sonnet have started a bug report with Apple, but it could be some time before a fix is made and then rolled out to the masses. Until then, don't upgrade to Sonoma!!
I have a Sonnet Silent, (), and have no mounting problems in the latest Sonoma.
It's in slot 5
It carries 2 NVME drives in the outer two positions.

Anything you want me to check for similarities?

cobra521

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2016
FL
Interesting H2! I have two of those cards, one in slot 5 and the other in an 8-bit slot. I think maybe the one in the 8-bit slot is the one that keeps disappearing. I'll have to check - too bad it's a pain to take the cover off.

Tom

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
Interesting H2! I have two of those cards, one in slot 5 and the other in an 8-bit slot. I think maybe the one in the 8-bit slot is the one that keeps disappearing. I'll have to check - too bad it's a pain to take the cover off.

Tom
yeah that was a complete fail on Apples part. I have an additional card also, the following;
, in slot 7.

jwestpro

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2010
Last week I replaced my Sonnet card, which was causing disconnection problems under Sonoma, with an OWC card. Since the replacement, I have not had any disconnection problems with the OWC card.
Which OWC card? There are a few that I can think of as options: 1M2 pcie4, 4M2 pcie3, 8M2 pcie4
Also on which mac pro? 7.1 or 2023 14.8 ?

bcomer

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2008
Ottawa
First boot after the 14.3 update, it happened again. Not fixed.

Well that sucks - Apple needs to get its sh*t together.

Time to install the previous OS - Sonoma is garbage with such a faulty issue like this.

I would switch to Windows if was not such a steaming pile of 💩.

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
I was wondering whether the "fix" from today's updates of:

Xsan volumes no longer fail to mount automatically.

...was referring to this issue. Though, it would be very like Apple to only implement a fix in the specific Xsan context.

nopster

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2009
I was wondering whether the "fix" from today's updates of:

...was referring to this issue. Though, it would be very like Apple to only implement a fix in the specific Xsan context.
I'm not at home right now to test, did you install the new update and see if it solves the original problem of this thread?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.