Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
I should start my own thread. Apologies for going of topic on your thread Alain! I just tok possession of the Mac Pro 2019. It'd be very convenient - of course - to just take some of the SSDs in my older 5,1 bays. Does anyone know whether the Samsung 860 is compatible? Assuming it's not? Apple requires I purchase different SSD?
2019 Mac Pro have two SATA ports, but you have to buy a Promise bracket to install any SATA drives using the two native ports. You can't install any SATA drives as Apple sends you the 2019 Mac Pro.

You can use PCIe SATA adapters to install your SSDs too, like OWC Accelsior S

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
I should start my own thread. Apologies for going of topic on your thread Alain! I just tok possession of the Mac Pro 2019. It'd be very convenient - of course - to just take some of the SSDs in my older 5,1 bays. Does anyone know whether the Samsung 860 is compatible? Assuming it's not? Apple requires I purchase different SSD?

SATA SSDs need to be in an adapter via PCIe or USB/USB3/USB-C or TB to connect. External drive bays via USB-C 10Gbps get the full theoretical max speed of SATA SSDs. Using Samsung EVO 860's in various sizes successfully via USB-C 10Gbps in macOS Mojave and Catalina.

machenryr

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2016
2019 Mac Pro have two SATA ports, but you have to buy a Promise bracket to install any SATA drives using the two native ports. You can't install any SATA drives as Apple sends you the 2019 Mac Pro.

You can use PCIe SATA adapters to install your SSDs too, like OWC Accelsior S
Thank you. Yes, I plan on getting the Promise later. But I was hoping there'd be an adaptor cheaper quicker. Thank you.

zachek

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2020
Los Angeles
Not with your SSD/M.2 adapter, will be a lot slower than the T2 storage.
Hi Tsialex, I have a similar question. What about with a Highpoint 7101A-1 with a 1TB Samsung EVO Plus? Will that be slower than the T2 storage? I currently have this card in my cMP 5,1 and the Evo Plus is my boot drive running 10.14.6. The other 3 drives are in a RAID 0, which I would also like to use in the 7,1 also.

If the speeds are comparable, I will just wipe that boot drive and rebuild the RAID 0 as a 4x array to increase the storage. If not, I'll try to make the Samsung SSD work as the boot.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^I have two PCIe SSD cards. An IOCreast card with two SSDs and a HighPoint SSD7103 with four SSDs (3 970 EVOs and 1 970 PRO) My Boot drive is on the 970 Pro on the HighPoint. I don't use my T2 drove for anything other as a backup in case of catastrophic failure. Both of my SSD cards were originally mounted in my cMP 5,1. I don't run these as a raid.

Below are the speeds recorded in BlackMagic Speed Test. The first is the 970 Pro on the Highpoint. The second is the T2 Drive:

TinyGrab Screen Shot 9-3-22, 5.06.53 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-03 at 4.49.13 PM.png

Lou

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.