Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Amidst the discussion of the deficiencies and limitations of the latest Mac Pro most people are assuming there will be another, more powerful one coming along. I'm not so sure of that. I think this Mac Pro could be the end of a line they don't really care about anymore. I personally love the concept, but I've now got a loaded Dell workstation that covers most of the bases and I think future Mac Studios may be all you're going to get. Again the memory limitations are a big mistake and not good for music production and I would imagine other things as well that need a lot of RAM. I was still planning to buy one given that assumption but I already have a Studio and a maxed out M1 16 laptop and the available memory is simply inadequate.

With the MacBook Pro you can run a slew of programs simultaneously without choking, but if something is memory intensive there are problems, just like on the studio. At this point Apple is basically forcing power users to switch to a PC to be able to do what the Mac Pro used to do, so my guess is it is going to disappear altogether. They just don't care any more. They are a phone company now with almost complete dedication to IOS now. I also have a iPad Pro with the keyboard, etc. but the OS still sucks alongside the Mac, and I don't see them doing all that much more on the Mac other than newer processors with hyper-expensive, and limited RAM and storage.

For what it's worth, if Apple wanted to discontinue the Mac Pro, they would've done so by now. The 2013 Mac Pro was widely regarded as a total failure and enough people complained about it (and switched to Windows as a result) that they spent several years putting out the 2019 model.

I know reaction to the 2023 model has been...well...less than desirable. But, for how much work they did with the Mac Pro customer base to try to rectify things with the 2019 model, it would seem to be far-fetched if they didn't:

(a) continue that open dialogue with that customer base

(b) use that data to determine what would be considered acceptable by the largest possible percentage of that customer base, given what they've already committed to with Apple Silicon's current system architecture in all of the other Macs

Yes, they will definitely alienate people that would've otherwise been fine with a 2019 model with many of the changes made in the 2023 model. That much is pretty much indisputable at this point. Though, whether it's enough to ultimately cause another 2013-Mac-Pro-caliber outcry among those customers or not is a different story. There will definitely be some whose needs will never be served by the 2023 Mac Pro, nor any Apple Silicon Mac Pro. But how much of a percentage of that customer base will be impacted? I think that's the critical question to ask here.

The Mac Pro may very well always just be an Ultra SoC equipped Mac Studio with PCIe slots. Hopefully they do eventually put out an Extreme chip. But even if they do not, this machine will still have people that have no choice but to buy it for its added I/O capability which is why it's still being sold today. Remove that requirement, and then there's no reason why the Ultra SoC version of Mac Studio wouldn't be enough for anyone buying a Mac Pro for performance reasons alone.

I dont think they will do the other things they really need to do which is:

1) add ECC
2) add support for 3rd party GPUs
3) add ability to upgrade RAM
4) add ability to upgrade CPU

Irritatingly, they could've done (and still could yet do) 3 and 4 by socketing the SoC.

I'm wondering if they did analysis of 1 to determine that ECC didn't make that big of a real-world difference in workloads (mind you, I'm not asserting that it doesn't; but I'm wondering if Apple didn't look that over and decide that either it wasn't necessary or that M2 Ultra could make up for it in some other not-so-clearly evident fashion).

2 is definitely off the table, but it's also predicated on Apple's overall gamble that Apple engineered GPUs on Apple SoCs running Apple's OS and leveraging Apple's graphics API will be superior to how it was before. Given that M2 Ultra is a first stab at that in the specific context of the Mac Pro, I wonder if it won't get better. Certainly, the first Intel Mac Pro (MacPro1,1 and, MacPro2,1) had a slew of silly annoyances that were definitely made better with the second major release (Early 2008 or MacPro3,1), and even more that were made better with the one thereafter (Mac Pro Early 2009 or MacPro4,1). Like you said, it's very clearly a stop-gap release.

TLDR I think we will get one more based on the M3 (fingers crossed).

Agreed. It seems like a safe bet, assuming they don't just pull an M1 iMac and only update it infrequently. I could see them doing that. But I do at least agree that this isn't the final Mac Pro release.

Lol, I think youre forgetting that the pro market is not limited to YouTube/video people but includes, architects, engineers, genetic scientists, simulation scientists, other scientists, machine learning professionals, encryption professionals, 3D artists, etc etc.

Yeah, and how many of those people does has Apple truly catered to with the Mac Pro in the last 13 years? Yes, the 2019 model was a shot in the arm that harkened back to the 2010/2012/5,1 days. But even that is hamstrung by the inability to run NVIDIA cards on a modern macOS version, among several other inherently missing features.

I'll grant that every 16-inch MacBook Pro released since the 2019 model DOES seem adequately catered to its target market audience. But, those communities that you reference are very poorly served by the Mac Pro and have for at least the last 13 years.

Maybe 3D artists. That one is probably still served by Mac Pros.

But my point remains, Apple is very clearly not the best choice for those types of pro markets and hasn't been for several years now. Remarking that the 2023 Mac Pro is not "a true Mac Pro" for lack of replaceable graphics or RAM, let alone ECC RAM sort of is beside the point. It hasn't been a good platform for most of these high-end use cases for a while now.

I guess. They are competing so well that an intel i9 processor (the kind we used to get in our laptops) now outpaces the fastest Macs made.

Run of the mill Intel processors have been outpacing the Mac Pro for the last decade (due to Apple's inconsistency in releasing updates for it). That's not new. It's just lame that Apple only bothered to make sure that whatever SoC this Mac Pro came with (which ended up being M2 Ultra) only outperformed the Xeon that was in its predecessor, rather than what Apple would've otherwise released in a new model.

As does the AMD 6900XT outpace the fastest graphics offered by apple...

I've seen test results from a ton of different places that show the opposite. M2 Ultra seems to beat out any single AMD GPU on its own, but still come a fair bit short compared to those "Duo" MPX modules or multi-card GPU configurations in the 2019 model.

Then again, Apple really seems to be optimizing everything for certain workloads. So, it wouldn't surprise me if M2 Ultra's GPU destroyed the 6900XT in some workloads, but got destroyed by it in others.

Obviously, their "we're optimizing for the workloads WE THINK matter" sentiment from them is flawed in the context of a product the entire mission statement of which is "you build it for your needs".

Hopefully apple will kick it up a gear with the M3...

Here's hoping. The original Mac Pro had some annoying trade-offs from the last Power Mac G5 that it replaced. Hopefully, the second Apple Silicon Mac Pro release fixes some of the ones in this one.

What is so strange then is when I tested the M1 Ultra against my 13900k machine and the 5995wx Threadripper Pro workstation sitting here, it was substantially faster in the intended workload, so, it is now getting used for that workload until I get this M2 Ultra in service.

Geekbench drag racing doesn't always match reality.
Apple seems to be optimizing for specific workloads. Not saying these things don't have an overall average speed to compare/benchmarch, but I think they shine in some settings and are crap (relative to what else is out there) in others.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
It's Apple Hubris for them to think they could surpass the performance of chipmakers who have been in the game decades longer. Instead we got below-par performance with the added "feature" of non-upgradability.

Way to go, Tim. Bravo, team Cupertino. :rolleyes:
To be fair, they did a pretty decent job on the laptops side of things.

But, more to your point, I think they more care about performance per watt than they do about just raw performance. That sort of strategy works wonders on laptops and smaller form factor desktops, but doesn't do anything for towers wherein wattage/electricity usage isn't your top priority.

Reactions: mikas

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
I know reaction to the 2023 model has been...well...less than desirable. But, for how much work they did with the Mac Pro customer base to try to rectify things with the 2019 model, it would seem to be far-fetched if they didn't:

The open dialogue is non existent now, aside from the devotees spending time post launch of the new Mac Pro calling users of the 2019 Mac Pro cashed up hobbyists and any other negative term they could think of.

Users got the message clearly and are going elsewhere. The new Mac Pro is DOA and future ones must now be on very shaky ground.

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
May 22, 2014
For what it's worth, if Apple wanted to discontinue the Mac Pro, they would've done so by now. The 2013 Mac Pro was widely regarded as a total failure and enough people complained about it (and switched to Windows as a result) that they spent several years putting out the 2019 model.

(b) use that data to determine what would be considered acceptable by the largest possible percentage of that customer base, given what they've already committed to with Apple Silicon's current system architecture in all of the other Macs

Yes, they will definitely alienate people that would've otherwise been fine with a 2019 model with many of the changes made in the 2023 model. That much is pretty much indisputable at this point. Though, whether it's enough to ultimately cause another 2013-Mac-Pro-caliber outcry among those customers or not is a different story. There will definitely be some whose needs will never be served by the 2023 Mac Pro, nor any Apple Silicon Mac Pro. But how much of a percentage of that customer base will be impacted? I think that's the critical question to ask here.

The Mac Pro may very well always just be an Ultra SoC equipped Mac Studio with PCIe slots. Hopefully they do eventually put out an Extreme chip. But even if they do not, this machine will still have people that have no choice but to buy it for its added I/O capability which is why it's still being sold today. Remove that requirement, and then there's no reason why the Ultra SoC version of Mac Studio wouldn't be enough for anyone buying a Mac Pro for performance reasons alone.

Irritatingly, they could've done (and still could yet do) 3 and 4 by socketing the SoC.

I'm wondering if they did analysis of 1 to determine that ECC didn't make that big of a real-world difference in workloads (mind you, I'm not asserting that it doesn't; but I'm wondering if Apple didn't look that over and decide that either it wasn't necessary or that M2 Ultra could make up for it in some other not-so-clearly evident fashion).

2 is definitely off the table, but it's also predicated on Apple's overall gamble that Apple engineered GPUs on Apple SoCs running Apple's OS and leveraging Apple's graphics API will be superior to how it was before. Given that M2 Ultra is a first stab at that in the specific context of the Mac Pro, I wonder if it won't get better. Certainly, the first Intel Mac Pro (MacPro1,1 and, MacPro2,1) had a slew of silly annoyances that were definitely made better with the second major release (Early 2008 or MacPro3,1), and even more that were made better with the one thereafter (Mac Pro Early 2009 or MacPro4,1). Like you said, it's very clearly a stop-gap release.

Agreed. It seems like a safe bet, assuming they don't just pull an M1 iMac and only update it infrequently. I could see them doing that. But I do at least agree that this isn't the final Mac Pro release.

Yeah, and how many of those people does has Apple truly catered to with the Mac Pro in the last 13 years? Yes, the 2019 model was a shot in the arm that harkened back to the 2010/2012/5,1 days. But even that is hamstrung by the inability to run NVIDIA cards on a modern macOS version, among several other inherently missing features.

I'll grant that every 16-inch MacBook Pro released since the 2019 model DOES seem adequately catered to its target market audience. But, those communities that you reference are very poorly served by the Mac Pro and have for at least the last 13 years.

Maybe 3D artists. That one is probably still served by Mac Pros.

But my point remains, Apple is very clearly not the best choice for those types of pro markets and hasn't been for several years now. Remarking that the 2023 Mac Pro is not "a true Mac Pro" for lack of replaceable graphics or RAM, let alone ECC RAM sort of is beside the point. It hasn't been a good platform for most of these high-end use cases for a while now.

Run of the mill Intel processors have been outpacing the Mac Pro for the last decade (due to Apple's inconsistency in releasing updates for it). That's not new. It's just lame that Apple only bothered to make sure that whatever SoC this Mac Pro came with (which ended up being M2 Ultra) only outperformed the Xeon that was in its predecessor, rather than what Apple would've otherwise released in a new model.

I've seen test results from a ton of different places that show the opposite. M2 Ultra seems to beat out any single AMD GPU on its own, but still come a fair bit short compared to those "Duo" MPX modules or multi-card GPU configurations in the 2019 model.

Then again, Apple really seems to be optimizing everything for certain workloads. So, it wouldn't surprise me if M2 Ultra's GPU destroyed the 6900XT in some workloads, but got destroyed by it in others.

Obviously, their "we're optimizing for the workloads WE THINK matter" sentiment from them is flawed in the context of a product the entire mission statement of which is "you build it for your needs".

Here's hoping. The original Mac Pro had some annoying trade-offs from the last Power Mac G5 that it replaced. Hopefully, the second Apple Silicon Mac Pro release fixes some of the ones in this one.

Apple seems to be optimizing for specific workloads. Not saying these things don't have an overall average speed to compare/benchmarch, but I think they shine in some settings and are crap (relative to what else is out there) in others.

More than 3D is in vogue now. Machine learning for example. And gaming. They seem to be pretending to care about that all over again. And all 3 of those kind of combine to be relevant for spacial computing and development around that.

And disagree. First hand reports here and 6900XT beats out the M2Ultra wrt to apple's own Metal standard in tests (and game frame rates too). Architecture and the other sciences do matter. You are speculating on what's in the mind of Apple. You may be right. But the last thing we have about them caring about those fields are their own words during their apology tours where they did acknowledge those fields and that being 'pro' meant a huge variety of things, not just YouTubers that got their encoding/decoding accelerated.

Also, disagree about 2019 Mac Pro being beaten out. Well sure, it's a 4 year old machine, obviously things today will beat it soundly. But when it came out, it was decently competitive at the time. That *at this time* when apple brings out its M2 ultra and it's spanked by a laptop chip, is an embarrassment (completely ignored by the tech press, but not by pros in the know). That did not happen at the time when teh 2019 Mac Pro came out. It certainly wasn't top of the pyramid (but was up there towards the top), but it certainly wasn't being spanked by an i9 laptop at the time of its release.

Agree with many of your other points.

JazzyGB1

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2002
UK
The Mac Pro died in 2012 and it's never returning.
Nothing released since...including the 2019 model have been a suitable replacement for the 5,1 tower.
A new scalable Apple tower with modernised components that doesn't start at twice the price of the previous tower despite shipping with half the storage shouldn't be impossible for Apple.
They simply refuse to do it.
You know when you want to break up with a girlfriend, so you start treating them poorly until they break up with you...That's Apple and the Mac Pro user.
They bailed on it long ago, now they are just waiting for you to leave.

Romain_H

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2021
Nothing released since...including the 2019 model have been a suitable replacement for the 5,1 tower.
A new scalable Apple tower with modernised components that doesn't start at twice the price of the previous tower despite shipping with half the storage shouldn't be impossible for Apple.
You know when you want to break up with a girlfriend, so you start treating them poorly until they break up with you...That's Apple and the Mac Pro user.
^^ This. Surely smells strongly like it

Reactions: ZombiePhysicist

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
May 22, 2014

I hate how difficult it is to disagree with this.

That said, I think the 7,1 was a better machine than the 5,1 (And not just because it had obviously more modern/updated chips etc...It's just a better thought through machine. I have both by the way and my 5,1 is maxed out). But it was not better by the factor of how much more expensive it was. Also, it definitely will not be as long lived wrt macOS as the 5,1...precisely because of what you very rightly point out above...

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
I hate how difficult it is to disagree with this.

That said, I think the 7,1 was a better machine than the 5,1 (And not just because it had obviously more modern/updated chips etc...It's just a better thought through machine. I have both by the way and my 5,1 is maxed out). But it was not better by the factor of how much more expensive it was. Also, it definitely will not be as long lived wrt macOS as the 5,1...precisely because of what you very rightly point out above...

Just have to ditch MacOS - get rid of MacOS and you'll be going for a bit longer with Windows and modern GPUs.

Windows (the Workstation version) runs extremely well on my 7,1. I just wish the 2.5ghz 28 core processor wasn't so hard to find. Where have they all gone? They are expensive too.

Apple Knowledge Navigator

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2010
I believe the subject of the future of Mac Pro has less to do with the architecture (Wintel, AS) and more to do with how system resources have become more affordable.

An entry level Mac can now edit 4K video, run DAWs effectively, Adobe CC without lag multitask efficiently. Many years ago all this would have been unthinkable - you simply had to get the ‘Pro’ so that the hardware could keep up.

So realistically, unless Apple wants to continue to try and market raw power as the USP, the only benefit of a Mac Pro today is the internal PCIe. And I would guess that unless Apple can reduce the manufacturing costs of the machine and shrink it, it’s days are numbered.

Jethro!

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2015
To be fair, they did a pretty decent job on the laptops side of things.

But, more to your point, I think they more care about performance per watt than they do about just raw performance. That sort of strategy works wonders on laptops and smaller form factor desktops, but doesn't do anything for towers wherein wattage/electricity usage isn't your top priority.
Exactly. Tower users don't care about efficiency. We want power, upgradability and customization.
On the power front, the new Mac "Pro" lags behind Intel and AMD.
Upgradability and customization is virtually nonexistent.
It's a disposable machine, and should be priced as such, but isn't.
No sale.

Reactions: Romain_H and mikas

ondioline

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2020
I just wish the 2.5ghz 28 core processor wasn't so hard to find. Where have they all gone? They are expensive too.
Those Xeon W-32* processors were never sold retail, and not many workstations were made that used them. I’m not even sure where the ones on eBay come from, a lot of them were like test samples and stuff?

Anyway I don’t think getting one is going to get any easier.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
And disagree. First hand reports here and 6900XT beats out the M2Ultra wrt to apple's own Metal standard in tests (and game frame rates too).

I've seen others that suggest the other way around. I'm guessing that it's highly dependent on specific workloads (especially given that Apple seems to be optimizing these chips and macOS running on them for those things) which is ultimately to say that both scenarios are probably true.

Architecture and the other sciences do matter.

I never said that they don't. Just not to Apple.

You are speculating on what's in the mind of Apple. You may be right. But the last thing we have about them caring about those fields are their own words during their apology tours where they did acknowledge those fields and that being 'pro' meant a huge variety of things, not just YouTubers that got their encoding/decoding accelerated.

Right. It's possible that their efforts to listen to and cater to pros ended the moment that 2019 Mac Pro was first available for sale. Considering the scale of what they did to even get to THAT point, I'd be surprised if that was the case. But I can't rule it out, considering the fact that 1/8 to 1/4 the maximum RAM capacity of its predecessor and no ability to upgrade RAM or graphics isn't insignificant (especially when, as I've said a billion times on these forums, socketing the SoC WAS an option).

Also, disagree about 2019 Mac Pro being beaten out. Well sure, it's a 4 year old machine, obviously things today will beat it soundly.

I'm only talking about it in that context. Again, I don't agree with Apple's stances on this stuff; I'm just reiterating what they are. And, yeah, given those asininely ambiguous graphs and comparisons about performance "relative to the most popular PC chip", it doesn't surprise me at all that the M2 Ultra is not competitive to what would've gone into a 2023 Intel Mac Pro had Apple not made this particular processor architecture AND system architecture changeovers. But, Apple only cares about their next machine beating out their previous and, for whatever reason, they believed that this machine was enough.

But when it came out, it was decently competitive at the time. That *at this time* when apple brings out its M2 ultra and it's spanked by a laptop chip, is an embarrassment (completely ignored by the tech press, but not by pros in the know). That did not happen at the time when teh 2019 Mac Pro came out. It certainly wasn't top of the pyramid (but was up there towards the top), but it certainly wasn't being spanked by an i9 laptop at the time of its release.

Well, the lame thing about Apple no longer using the same processor architecture as the rest of the PC industry is that we now return to "Apples and Oranges" types of comparisons with these processors - which is to say that Apple's Macs could be compared directly to PC hardware because they were using the same chips from the same company as those in PCs. When they used a weak Intel processor, it was obvious to everyone. Now, they can go back to the PowerPC G4 and G5 era of making hyperbolic claims about performance relative to Intel and AMD PCs because now it's not just the OS that's different. It'll be the Megahertz Myth all over again.

Reactions: AeroSatan

jimmy_john

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2023
what is your use case for it?

Visual FX and compositing, some editing for features and commercial. Light 3d work if the threadripper machines are tied up with a sim or render etc. Macs have never been competitive in the high end 3d space but it's fine for smaller stuff. So generally use Windows or Linux for 3d.

Wait till you'd like to upgrade it 2 years or so down the road. Been there, done that with the Trashcan

In 2 years I suspect I'll be using an m3 or m4 ultra or extreme version of it and this one will be sold or repurposed elsewhere.

Reactions: Yebubbleman

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
Visual FX and compositing, some editing for features and commercial. Light 3d work if the threadripper machines are tied up with a sim or render etc. Macs have never been competitive in the high end 3d space but it's fine for smaller stuff. So generally use Windows or Linux for 3d.
It says a lot that the one positive user in this thread uses a Windows box for the real work and the Apple Silicon Mac Pro for the light work.

The Mac Pro’s goal is to replace Windows workstations. Not supplement them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.