Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 8, 2022
iFixIt's posted their teardown of the new Mac Pro

Despite the lack of RAM expansion or GPUs, there are positives to the new Mac Pro. The RAM compartments now hold the SSD and it's easy to remove now. Hell, everything is easy to remove and replace now, including the logic board.

Also spoilers: it still is crap at grating cheese.

rondocap

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2011
Thank you for sharing, love seeing this!

The Intel Mac Pro was full of little surprises and capabilities, and even though this one is less so surprising, still nice to have the internals for some other possibilities for those who need it.

Reactions: ikir

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 8, 2022
Thank you for sharing, love seeing this!

The Intel Mac Pro was full of little surprises and capabilities, and even though this one is less so surprising, still nice to have the internals for some other possibilities for those who need it.

Fingers crossed we can get new PCIE stuff that could be used with those slots besides just BlackMagic and Avid cards to justify the extra $3000

Reactions: aParkerMusic

DrEGPU

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2020
Fingers crossed we can get new PCIE stuff that could be used with those slots besides just BlackMagic and Avid cards to justify the extra $3000

It seems like the consensus (for now, anyway) is that any pcie card compatible with MacOS that isn’t a GPU will work, ie nvme expansion, etc

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
It seems like the consensus (for now, anyway) is that any pcie card compatible with MacOS that isn’t a GPU will work, ie nvme expansion, etc
Has anyone tried a standard Radeon 6800XT or a 6900XT in the final released 2023 machine? Note I’m not talking about the MPX modules, just the standard AMD reference cards.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 8, 2022
Has anyone tried a standard Radeon 6800XT or a 6900XT in the final released 2023 machine? Note I’m not talking about the MPX modules, just the standard AMD reference cards.

GPU cards will not work period on the ARM Mac Pro. The M series chips don't support any extra GPUs at all. Not even eGPUs.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 8, 2022
Yeah, Apple will have to provide drivers in order for GPU’s to work.

Which they won't, because it's Apple

They made it clear they have no interest in supporting those GPUs anymore. They want everyone on the iGPUs of the M series chips. These GPUs are insane no doubt and are capable of great things, but for industry professionals it's not enough.

NewUsername

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2019
It’s actually a very nice product imho, just a pity it’s 3000 USD above the Mac Studio and the RAM/GPU options are limited.

Still, I miss the times of the Power Macs and original Mac Pro when these machines were also affordable for simple enthusiasts. Though we don’t really need it anymore with the Mac mini with M2 Pro and the Mac Studio.

Calaveras

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2021
GPUs don't work.
Apple's Pro Res video acceleration cards are no longer an option when you build to order.
Again we are in a position of wondering what is the point of the Mac Pro?
It seems Apple can only get it right every other iteration, like a Trek movie.
If I get a replacement for my Mac Pro, I'm going for the Studio. The Pro is just a status symbol.

Reactions: Farravi

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021
GPUs don't work.
Apple's Pro Res video acceleration cards are no longer an option when you build to order.
If I get a replacement for my Mac Pro, I'm going for the Studio. The Pro is just a status symbol.

You don't need Afterburner cards because those features are built into Apple Silicon. That's why they're not available to order.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 8, 2022
GPUs don't work.

The Afterburner Card is obsolete. It was turned into retroware with the advent of the M1 Pro and the introduction of the Media Engine which does the Afterburner card's job a lot better in a smaller package, and the M2 Ultra is equivalent of seven of these Afterburner Cards.

Apple-M1-Pro-Media-Engine.jpg

M1-Max-ProRes-benchmark.jpg

Reactions: HDFan and Longplays

Longplays

Suspended
May 30, 2023
M2 Ultra's limitation covers ~80% of the most common use cases for a Mac Pro. Give it time and future 2025 Mac Pro address higher-end use cases.

If you're happy with the 2019 Mac Pro Intel then Apple will likely address almost all relevant shortcomings as late as 2027 when it receives its final Security Update.

Reactions: AlphaCentauri

DrEGPU

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2020
M2 Ultra's limitation covers ~80% of the most common use cases for a Mac Pro. Give it time and future 2025 Mac Pro address higher-end use cases.

If you're happy with the 2019 Mac Pro Intel then Apple will likely address almost all relevant shortcomings as late as 2027 when it receives its final Security Update.
80% doesn’t sounds very professional to me. That’s what mildly irritates me. Apple claims to be developing this for the “pros”, but what they really mean is just for the A/V crowd.

Deep-leaning professional? Not for you. Scientific modeling professional? Not for you? Advanced financial analysis/prediction? Not for you. Scientific modeling? Not for you!

Reactions: ZombiePhysicist

Longplays

Suspended
May 30, 2023
80% doesn’t sounds very professional to me. That’s what mildly irritates me. Apple claims to be developing this for the “pros”, but what they really mean is just for the A/V crowd.

Deep-leaning professional? Not for you. Scientific modeling professional? Not for you? Advanced financial analysis/prediction? Not for you. Scientific modeling? Not for you!
On the product page these are the expected typical use case
The previous workflows did not have the volume to necessitate the extra R&D to cover them for the next 15 months.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
The first time I heard this joke, I smiled shortly. It was almost twenty years ago, when Рower Mac come out. Do we still need to take on the challenge? :)

The video is on Youtube. The cheese stuff is click-bait to crank up 'ratings'. Pragmatically almost says so in the video when she made remarks to the effect of 'the cheese grading part was the most talked about part of the MP 2019 teardown' video ( also on YouTube). If the mass audience says 'do it again' then they 'do it again'. Until the masses do a 'thumbs down' on the cheese stuff, it will remain part of the 'gladiator games' .

When the teardowns were only static photos of labeled chip components didn't get this kind of stuff. Now, it has more in common with the generic 'unboxing' videos you get for random products; more entertainment than informative.

Reactions: AAPLGeek

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009

Simple peasant, you dont understand. Video editors are mount olympus. us mere scientific/research professionals are not qualified to breathe the rarefied air of the video editors
On the product page these are the expected typical use case
The previous workflows did not have the volume to necessitate the extra R&D to cover them for the next 15 months.
Yet despite people ditching the mac pro for the last decade since the trashcan debacle the 2019 mac pro did support those workloads inherently through expandability. this was evidenced by their boasting about performance of their computers in matlab (which btw has a pretty lousy reputation in some scientific circles outside of mechanical engineering, image processing, and control people). but at least it was something. now of course those matlab comparisons are gone so **** those people amirite?
The video is on Youtube. The cheese stuff is click-bait to crank up 'ratings'. Pragmatically almost says so in the video when she made remarks to the effect of 'the cheese grading part was the most talked about part of the MP 2019 teardown' video ( also on YouTube). If the mass audience says 'do it again' then they 'do it again'. Until the masses do a 'thumbs down' on the cheese stuff, it will remain part of the 'gladiator games' .

When the teardowns were only static photos of labeled chip components didn't get this kind of stuff. Now, it has more in common with the generic 'unboxing' videos you get for random products; more entertainment than informative.
doesn't change the fact that its cringe and they ruined such an expensive machine

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
The Afterburner Card is obsolete. It was turned into retroware with the advent of the M1 Pro and the introduction of the Media Engine which does the Afterburner card's job a lot better in a smaller package,

Pragmatically more so dead when Apple put some ProRes acceleration into the A15 SoC in September 2021. The ProRes subsystems are not completely the same, but the writing was on the wall a month before the M1 Pro ever showed up ( October 2021).

ProRes wasn't going to be some high end, 'rarified air' , Mac Pro only feature locked to a $2K card. Afterburner card was a field deployed prototype before they stuff the feature into the vast majority of the whole line up. Once mass deployed , then do not need the 'test mule' prototype anymore. (extremely likely there is no Afterbuner 2 or major changes coming; the job is done. ).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.