Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Schnitzel1979

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 4, 2013
Hi everybody,
merry christmas for all of you !
Wanted to ask, are there any indications for a release of the new Mac Pro in 2023 ?
Date and what M-Chip it will get ?
Thank you !
Best regards,
Schnitzel

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
There have been some rumors on the front page. Latest I've read is that they've cancelled the highest end M1/M2 chip (the Extreme) and it will be shipping with an M1 or M2 Ultra. Apparently it will have expandability, but nobody knows what form that will come in. Memory and storage options will be vastly lower than the current Intel based Mac Pro. So it's looking more like a replacement for the 6,1 Mac Pro rather than a replacement for the 7,1. The true successor for the 7,1 will probably arrive one or two generations after this next one. That will be more or less in-line with end of support for the 7,1.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
Hi everybody,
merry christmas for all of you !
Wanted to ask, are there any indications for a release of the new Mac Pro in 2023 ?
Date and what M-Chip it will get ?
Thank you !
Best regards,
Schnitzel
You can start with this article from last week…

Blaine

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2007
Abilene TX
I hope they have a cheaper entry model for people who basically want the power of the Mac Studio, but with the option to upgrade the ram and storage ourselves. I hate how the studio is locked down.

Reactions: AlphaCentauri

Apple Knowledge Navigator

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2010
I hope they have a cheaper entry model for people who basically want the power of the Mac Studio, but with the option to upgrade the ram and storage ourselves. I hate how the studio is locked down.
Depends what you class as 'cheap'. The Studio with M1 Ultra, which arguably should be the minimum SoC for Apple's highest-end Mac, costs $4,000 with an enclosure that allows for internal expansion. It honestly wouldn't make sense for them to use the Max as a base config, given the only difference in CPU cores across the vanilla, Pro and Max is two performance ones.

You can bet the new Mac Pro will cost $5,000 minimum for the base spec.

Reactions: AlphaCentauri
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.