Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alexffff

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 26, 2017
Hi everyone!

I cant install Windows 7 x64 on my MP 3,1 2008.
MP 3,1 2008 (flashed to support NVMe)
MacOS: 10.13.6 (17G65)
Boot ROM Version: MP31.006C.B05
BootCamp: Version 6.1.0 (6067.60.1)
Original MSDN Windows 7 x64 iso
USB 2.0 Stick (I tried two different, tried to insert in front and back panel)
SATA SSD 860 (second drive)

I tried to install Windows using BootCamp: after burning ISO to USB Stick with BootCamp mac rebooted but could not boot from USB. There was error "No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key". After booting it to MacOS back there was no USB Stick in Preferences -> StartupDisk. Booting with Option key shows only drive with MacOS.
I tried to use rEFInd, with rEFInd I can see USB Stick, but I also have an error ("A disk read error occurred").

Next I tried to start installation process using VMWare Fusion. I stopped VM while first reboot during Windows installation, mounted VM image using Paragon VMDK Mounter and restored image to SSD using Disk Utility. I could see SSD in Preferences -> StartupDisk, but no luck to boot this drive: "No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key". After reboot holding Option key there were no SSD Drive with Windows installation files. I tried rEFInd, SSD appeared but I could not boot: "A disk read error occurred"

Windows 7 x86 the same problem.

I also tried to burn iso on USB myself (convert iso to img, burn on usb with dd command), still cant see USB as bootable device (boot holding Option key).

But I can burn MacOS, Ubuntu x64, Debian x64 on USB and its visible booting with Option key.

Next I tried to install Windows 8.1 x64. I created bootable USB with BootCamp Assistant. Next I could boot from it: "Loading files..." process started, after it finished MP rebooted and "Loading files..." process started again (boot loop?). So no luck again.

How can I install Windows 7 x64 on my MP 3,1?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.