Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jhonjhon236

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2022
Yes, Nvidia Titan Kepler cards work with Mojave. Some users here have it, but read this: #2529.

Edit:

This fix is only valid for MP5,1 and the corrective procedure is not applicable or even possible with a MP3,1 since Apple split MP3,1 BootROM with two flash memories and AFAIK, it's not possible to reconstruct a MP3,1 BootROM correctly with the current tools available outside Apple.

For future reference, MP3,1 have two flash memories for the BootROM:
  1. a TSOP-32 Firmware HUB memory (FWB) with the permanent part of the BootROM,
  2. a SOIC-8 SPI flash with the dynamic part of the BootROM, the NVRAM.
This BootROM split makes the MP3,1 the easiest Mac to brick and because the FWB memory is a TSOP-32, it's the most difficult Mac to unbrick, since it's extremely difficult and costly to remove and reprogram TSOP-32 flash memory with the usual tools available to non-professionals.
While I hate to revive an old thread, I think my 3,1 bricked itself. Have tried PRAM, SMC, shuffling RAM etc to no avail. The EFI light is not illuminated for the diag button and I was pointed to you from the Mac Pro discord server. Still chimes. Only have PC GPU so I cannot try Mac card. Circles on pic 2 is what is illuminated while Xes are what it says should be illuminated but isn't. Main concern is the lack of EFI illumination. I assume LED 7 is just because I have a non Mac GPU.

Attachments

• A89A9093-2E2C-483C-8369-FF5FD121129B_4_5005_c.jpeg
    A89A9093-2E2C-483C-8369-FF5FD121129B_4_5005_c.jpeg
    54.9 KB · Views: 53
  • FA60D165-79DA-4E5E-80B9-1541A9523331_1_102_a.jpeg
    FA60D165-79DA-4E5E-80B9-1541A9523331_1_102_a.jpeg
    227 KB · Views: 32

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
While I hate to revive an old thread, I think my 3,1 bricked itself. Have tried PRAM, SMC, shuffling RAM etc to no avail. The EFI light is not illuminated for the diag button and I was pointed to you from the Mac Pro discord server. Still chimes. Only have PC GPU so I cannot try Mac card. Circles on pic 2 is what is illuminated while Xes are what it says should be illuminated but isn't. Main concern is the lack of EFI illumination. I assume LED 7 is just because I have a non Mac GPU.

No EFI_DONE LED lit = BootROM defect/brick or a logic board failure right before that.

The best prognosis is that the FWB flash memory that stores the BootROM failed and replacing it will get you going again. The worst is that is not a BootROM defect, but somewhere else and replacing the BootROM will be useless and very expensive.

Unless you are capable of removing and replacing a TSOP32 and already have all the equipment/supplies, is not worth to try to revive a bricked MacPro3,1 logic board, no SPI replacement/MATT card (like all newer MacPros than the MacPro3,1 have) to confirm that the flash memory is really the problem before investing your time and money.

The equipment and supplies to prove or disprove the BootROM failure will cost you much more than a used logic board. Since it's a FWB flash memory, it will require a real flash memory programmer, like a TL866II + TSOP32 adapter, not a cheap SPI one, plus a reworking station to replace the flash memory.

Reactions: Jhonjhon236

Jhonjhon236

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2022
Dang, that really isn't what I wanted to hear but is what I feared. Sadly I fear needing a new logic bard may be a death sentence for this ol girl because it isn't really easy to spend $60+ on a computer I got for $100. May be a good excuse to finally get a 4,1/5,1 but still pains me. I guess I could attempt to recoup some cost on eBay, but it still sucks. Not that it matters at this point but I also attempted using the RestoreCD from Apple which did absolutely nothing. Thank you for the help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.