Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

z33capt13n

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2020
Aight lads and lasses of MacRumours

I have a question: What are some of your reccomendation for fan cooling on 3,1 (or any of the old pre trashcan macs)?

I've set this cooling profile but one of my Ram banks is a good few degrees hotter at any given time.

For context I've repasted the CPU's and the Northbridge chip, and the ram have little mini heatsinks on them which I attached with thermal pad tape (Well worth a go by the way, temps dropped a good 10 degrees over the ram banks doing that). It's running a flashed EVGA nVidea GPU too, but I can't see that screwing with airflow that much.

Is it something you guys have seen before and can it be managed or should I stop worrying about it and just be happy I was able to scoop a mac pro for £150 all in that runs catalina?

Screenshot 2020-09-30 at 10.01.29.png

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
I don't think you have anything to worry about. I tried Macs Fan Control for the first time today. Setting Active preset to Full blast is a great way to move some dust. I should probably do some cleaning.
Screen Shot 2020-09-30 at 10.33.46 AM.png

z33capt13n

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2020
I don't think you have anything to worry about. I tried Macs Fan Control for the first time today. Setting Active preset to Full blast is a great way to move some dust. I should probably do some cleaning.
View attachment 961503
Haha fair dos. First thing I did when I got mine was open it up to clean it and hoo boy these things are dust farms. I'll probably give it a yearly clean just to keep ontop of fan dust. I'd highly reccomend getting the little 10x10mm heat sinks and attaching them to your ram if possible (I Used 3m double sided pads) as it really lowers ram temp.

On a side note, I notice your GPU shows up on fan control whereas mine doesnt. That's interesting! I wonder if it's a driver/OS issue- I'm on Catalina with DosDude1s amazing patcher and a flashed windows EVGA version of the GTX. Did you install any drivers? I was considering it but as everything is working fine on my mac I'm loath to do so incase I screw something up as I'm using this machine as my WFH/Freelance computer right now.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
I didn't think I would see so much dust fly - I'll do some vacuuming before I try that again. The fans take a few seconds to ramp up to full blast and they get loud (the computer is usually silent - much more quiet than a PowerMac G5 Quad I have).

My RAM has the Apple type heat spreaders already.

My GPU is a Mac Edition card.
Anyway, it doesn't show a temperature so I don't know why it shows up in the Macs Fan Control UI.
There is a preference to add Discrete GPUs. I can deselect that to remove the GPU from the list.

I am using DosDude's patchers for Sierra, HighSierra, Mojave, and Catalina. I make custom boot HFS+ partitions (marked with a (B)) for the apfs OSs (Mojave and Catalina) so they can appear in the Startup Manager. They boot to a blessed EFI Shell that run a startup.nsh script (like the one created by DosDude's apfs patch). But I found recently that I can make the firmware load drivers before the Startup Manager even starts so it can show apfs volumes too. NTFS is also a possibility (but it's not a good idea to boot Windows in EFI mode without OpenCore to protect NVRAM).
MacPro3,1 Startup Manager.jpg

I tried a XHCI EFI driver (USB 3.x) in rEFInd but it hangs (load manually to test before adding it to drivers folder or Driver#### NVRAM variables) - I guess it needs to be rewritten to work on old Apple EFI. I think the NVMe driver works so I could add that as well to Driver####.

To make the apfs Recovery partitions appear in Startup Manager (marked with (R)), the bless command can be used with the --folder and --file options. The Startup Manager shows the Preboot volumes (marked with a (P)). The Startup Manager shows the root file system of each apfs OS as "EFI Boot" because the bless command won't bless it (it blesses the Preboot file instead). For Catalina root (shown next to rEFInd in the above picture), the data volume has the .VolumeIcon.icns file - it needs to replace the root file system's sym link so the Startup Manager can see the icon (and also when you boot into a different OS).

Here's some commands I use to create the multi line disk labels:

Code:
# show the appearance of all the .disk_labels before updating them
dumpAllDiskLabels

# output some makemultilinedisklabel - the result can be edited like below to make the label appear as you like
makeLabelCommands

# multiple Recovery HD's: they may have different mount points each time so these commands cannot be used more than once
# - create these commands with makeLabelCommands and modify them
#makemultilinedisklabel "/Volumes/Recovery HD/com.apple.recovery.boot" "Recovery"$'\n'"10.7.2"
#makemultilinedisklabel "/Volumes/Recovery HD1/com.apple.recovery.boot" "Recovery"$'\n'"10.9"
#makemultilinedisklabel "/Volumes/Recovery HD2/com.apple.recovery.boot" "Recovery"$'\n'"10.8"
#makemultilinedisklabel "/Volumes/Recovery HD3/com.apple.recovery.boot" "Recovery"$'\n'"10.7.4"
#makemultilinedisklabel "/Volumes/Recovery HD4/com.apple.recovery.boot" "Recovery"$'\n'"10.12.2"
#makemultilinedisklabel "/Volumes/Recovery HD5/com.apple.recovery.boot" "Recovery"$'\n'"10.13.4"
#makemultilinedisklabel "/Volumes/Recovery HD6/com.apple.recovery.boot" "Recovery"$'\n'"10.14.3"

# There is some process in macOS that updates .disk_label files in certain circumstances, so these commands
# set the schg flag of the newly created files.
makemultilinedisklabel "/Volumes/ElCapitan/System/Library/CoreServices" "ElCapitan"$'\n'"10.11.6"
makemultilinedisklabel "/Volumes/HighSierra/System/Library/CoreServices" "HighSierra"$'\n'"10.13.6"
makemultilinedisklabel "/Volumes/Leopard/System/Library/CoreServices" "Leopard"$'\n'"10.5.8"
makemultilinedisklabel "/Volumes/Lion/System/Library/CoreServices" "Lion"$'\n'"10.7.5"
makemultilinedisklabel "/Volumes/Lion2/System/Library/CoreServices" "Lion2"$'\n'"10.7"
makemultilinedisklabel "/Volumes/Lion3/System/Library/CoreServices" "Lion3"$'\n'"10.7.5"
makemultilinedisklabel "/Volumes/Mavericks/System/Library/CoreServices" "Mavericks"$'\n'"10.9.5"
makemultilinedisklabel "/Volumes/Mojave3/System/Library/CoreServices" "Mojave3"$'\n'"10.14.3"
makemultilinedisklabel "/Volumes/MountainLion/System/Library/CoreServices" "MountainLion"$'\n'"10.8.5"
makemultilinedisklabel "/Volumes/Sierra/System/Library/CoreServices" "Sierra"$'\n'"10.12.6"
makemultilinedisklabel "/Volumes/SnowLeopard/System/Library/CoreServices" "SnowLeopard"$'\n'"10.6.8"
makemultilinedisklabel "/Volumes/Yosemite/System/Library/CoreServices" "Yosemite"$'\n'"10.10.5"

# Preboot have labels because it is blessed
# Root shows "EFI Boot" because bless always points to Preboot instead of root /
# Maybe there's an Apple EFI protocol to get blessed file - maybe this protocol is added by the apfs and hfs EFI drivers
# - maybe this protocol can be overridden

fixapfsbooter /Volumes/Mojave4 "Mojave4" "10.14.4"
fixapfsbooter /Volumes/Mojave5 "Mojave5" "10.14.5"
fixapfsbooter /Volumes/Mojave6 "Mojave6" "10.14.6"
mount | grep ' on / ' | grep -q 'read-only' && sudo mount -uw /
fixapfsbooter / "Catalina" "10.15.7"

# custom booters never get overwritten (doesn't matter since we set the schg flag)
#makemultilinedisklabel "/Volumes/Mojave4 Boot/macOSMojave4Patcher" "Mojave4 (B)"$'\n'"10.14.4"
#makemultilinedisklabel "/Volumes/Mojave5 Boot/macOSMojave5Patcher" "Mojave5 (B)"$'\n'"10.14.5"
#makemultilinedisklabel "/Volumes/Mojave6 Boot/macOSMojave6Patcher" "Mojave6 (B)"$'\n'"10.14.6"
#makemultilinedisklabel "/Volumes/Catalina Boot/macOSCatalinaPatcher" "Catalina (B)"$'\n'"10.15.7"

# custom booters never get overwritten (doesn't matter since we set the schg flag)
#makemultilinedisklabel "/Volumes/Shell/shell" "Shell"$'\n'"" # •••••••••••••• find out the version of the Shell here
#makemultilinedisklabel "/Volumes/rEFIt/refit" "rEFIt"$'\n'"" # leave the custom label that has italics (no new versions are produced)

# makemultilinedisklabel "/Volumes/EFI1/EFI/BOOT" "EFI1/EFI/BOOT"$'\n'"Ubuntu boot" # custom label doesn't work on MacPro3,1 for "EFI Boot" but custom VolumeIcon.ics does work.

# NTFS disks are not readable by Mac EFI so these don't need a label (actually untrue - you can add ntfs.efi driver to Driver#### and DriverOrder
# but NTFS can't be blessed so the label won't be used even if it can be read - unless there's a bless EFI protocol that we can override?)
#makemultilinedisklabel "/Volumes/Windows 10/EFI/BOOT" "Windows"$'\n'"10"
#makemultilinedisklabel "/Volumes/Windows 7 64 b/EFI/BOOT" "Windows"$'\n'" 7 64 b"

# installers are probably not overwritten (doesn't matter since we set the schg flag)
#makemultilinedisklabel "/Volumes/Install Catalina 10.15.0.1 Patched/System/Library/CoreServices" "Install"$'\n'"Catalina"$'\n'"Patched"$'\n'"10.15.0.1"
#makemultilinedisklabel "/Volumes/Install Mojave 10.14.3 Patched/System/Library/CoreServices" "Install"$'\n'"Mojave"$'\n'"Patched"$'\n'"10.14.3"
#makemultilinedisklabel "/Volumes/Install Mojave 10.14.6 Patched/System/Library/CoreServices" "Install"$'\n'"Mojave"$'\n'"Patched"$'\n'"10.14.6"
#makemultilinedisklabel "/Volumes/Install High Sierra 10.13.6 Clover/System/Library/CoreServices" "Install"$'\n'"High"$'\n'"Sierra"$'\n'"Clover"$'\n'"10.13.6"
#makemultilinedisklabel "/Volumes/Install Sierra 10.12.5 Clover/System/Library/CoreServices" "Install"$'\n'"Sierra"$'\n'"Clover"$'\n'"10.12.5"
#makemultilinedisklabel "/Volumes/Install Catalina 10.15.2 Patched/System/Library/CoreServices" "Install"$'\n'"Catalina"$'\n'"Patched"$'\n'"10.15.2"
#makemultilinedisklabel "/Volumes/Install Catalina 10.15.3 Patched/System/Library/CoreServices" "Install"$'\n'"Catalina"$'\n'"Patched"$'\n'"10.15.3"
#makemultilinedisklabel "/Volumes/Install Catalina 10.15.6 Patched/System/Library/CoreServices" "Install"$'\n'"Catalina"$'\n'"Patched"$'\n'"10.15.6"
#makemultilinedisklabel "/Volumes/Install Catalina 10.15.7 Patched/System/Library/CoreServices" "Install"$'\n'"Catalina"$'\n'"Patched"$'\n'"10.15.7"

# rEFInd installed with -ownhfs argument automatically appears in Startup Manager like a normal HFS+ installed macOS (and therefore also appears in Startup Disk preferences panel)
# We'll make a custom label to include the version number.
#makemultilinedisklabel "/Volumes/rEFInd/System/Library/CoreServices" "rEFInd"$'\n'"0.11.5"

# show the appearance of all the .disk_labels after updating them
dumpAllDiskLabels

The MacPro3,1 firmware requires it32 type icons inside the .VolumeIcon.icns file. I created some custom tools to convert the format that newer macOS versions use.

Reactions: z33capt13n

OS6-OSX

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2004
California
Have had a Vantec fan blowing across the PCIe slots (items within) for years.
Mounted on top of the RAM cage when MP is together.
Vantec Fan.jpg

Spring Cleaning 2.jpg

z33capt13n

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2020
W
I didn't think I would see so much dust fly - I'll do some vacuuming before I try that again. The fans take a few seconds to ramp up to full blast and they get loud (the computer is usually silent - much more quiet than a PowerMac G5 Quad I have).

My RAM has the Apple type heat spreaders already.

My GPU is a Mac Edition card.
Anyway, it doesn't show a temperature so I don't know why it shows up in the Macs Fan Control UI.
There is a preference to add Discrete GPUs. I can deselect that to remove the GPU from the list.

I am using DosDude's patchers for Sierra, HighSierra, Mojave, and Catalina. I make custom boot HFS+ partitions (marked with a (B)) for the apfs OSs (Mojave and Catalina) so they can appear in the Startup Manager. They boot to a blessed EFI Shell that run a startup.nsh script (like the one created by DosDude's apfs patch). But I found recently that I can make the firmware load drivers before the Startup Manager even starts so it can show apfs volumes too. NTFS is also a possibility (but it's not a good idea to boot Windows in EFI mode without OpenCore to protect NVRAM).
View attachment 961592

I tried a XHCI EFI driver (USB 3.x) in rEFInd but it hangs (load manually to test before adding it to drivers folder or Driver#### NVRAM variables) - I guess it needs to be rewritten to work on old Apple EFI. I think the NVMe driver works so I could add that as well to Driver####.

To make the apfs Recovery partitions appear in Startup Manager (marked with (R)), the bless command can be used with the --folder and --file options. The Startup Manager shows the Preboot volumes (marked with a (P)). The Startup Manager shows the root file system of each apfs OS as "EFI Boot" because the bless command won't bless it (it blesses the Preboot file instead). For Catalina root (shown next to rEFInd in the above picture), the data volume has the .VolumeIcon.icns file - it needs to replace the root file system's sym link so the Startup Manager can see the icon (and also when you boot into a different OS).

Here's some commands I use to create the multi line disk labels:

Code:
# show the appearance of all the .disk_labels before updating them
dumpAllDiskLabels

# output some makemultilinedisklabel - the result can be edited like below to make the label appear as you like
makeLabelCommands

# multiple Recovery HD's: they may have different mount points each time so these commands cannot be used more than once
# - create these commands with makeLabelCommands and modify them
#makemultilinedisklabel "/Volumes/Recovery HD/com.apple.recovery.boot" "Recovery"$'\n'"10.7.2"
#makemultilinedisklabel "/Volumes/Recovery HD1/com.apple.recovery.boot" "Recovery"$'\n'"10.9"
#makemultilinedisklabel "/Volumes/Recovery HD2/com.apple.recovery.boot" "Recovery"$'\n'"10.8"
#makemultilinedisklabel "/Volumes/Recovery HD3/com.apple.recovery.boot" "Recovery"$'\n'"10.7.4"
#makemultilinedisklabel "/Volumes/Recovery HD4/com.apple.recovery.boot" "Recovery"$'\n'"10.12.2"
#makemultilinedisklabel "/Volumes/Recovery HD5/com.apple.recovery.boot" "Recovery"$'\n'"10.13.4"
#makemultilinedisklabel "/Volumes/Recovery HD6/com.apple.recovery.boot" "Recovery"$'\n'"10.14.3"

# There is some process in macOS that updates .disk_label files in certain circumstances, so these commands
# set the schg flag of the newly created files.
makemultilinedisklabel "/Volumes/ElCapitan/System/Library/CoreServices" "ElCapitan"$'\n'"10.11.6"
makemultilinedisklabel "/Volumes/HighSierra/System/Library/CoreServices" "HighSierra"$'\n'"10.13.6"
makemultilinedisklabel "/Volumes/Leopard/System/Library/CoreServices" "Leopard"$'\n'"10.5.8"
makemultilinedisklabel "/Volumes/Lion/System/Library/CoreServices" "Lion"$'\n'"10.7.5"
makemultilinedisklabel "/Volumes/Lion2/System/Library/CoreServices" "Lion2"$'\n'"10.7"
makemultilinedisklabel "/Volumes/Lion3/System/Library/CoreServices" "Lion3"$'\n'"10.7.5"
makemultilinedisklabel "/Volumes/Mavericks/System/Library/CoreServices" "Mavericks"$'\n'"10.9.5"
makemultilinedisklabel "/Volumes/Mojave3/System/Library/CoreServices" "Mojave3"$'\n'"10.14.3"
makemultilinedisklabel "/Volumes/MountainLion/System/Library/CoreServices" "MountainLion"$'\n'"10.8.5"
makemultilinedisklabel "/Volumes/Sierra/System/Library/CoreServices" "Sierra"$'\n'"10.12.6"
makemultilinedisklabel "/Volumes/SnowLeopard/System/Library/CoreServices" "SnowLeopard"$'\n'"10.6.8"
makemultilinedisklabel "/Volumes/Yosemite/System/Library/CoreServices" "Yosemite"$'\n'"10.10.5"

# Preboot have labels because it is blessed
# Root shows "EFI Boot" because bless always points to Preboot instead of root /
# Maybe there's an Apple EFI protocol to get blessed file - maybe this protocol is added by the apfs and hfs EFI drivers
# - maybe this protocol can be overridden

fixapfsbooter /Volumes/Mojave4 "Mojave4" "10.14.4"
fixapfsbooter /Volumes/Mojave5 "Mojave5" "10.14.5"
fixapfsbooter /Volumes/Mojave6 "Mojave6" "10.14.6"
mount | grep ' on / ' | grep -q 'read-only' && sudo mount -uw /
fixapfsbooter / "Catalina" "10.15.7"

#makemultilinedisklabel "/Volumes/Mojave4 Boot/macOSMojave4Patcher" "Mojave4 (B)"$'\n'"10.14.4"
#makemultilinedisklabel "/Volumes/Mojave5 Boot/macOSMojave5Patcher" "Mojave5 (B)"$'\n'"10.14.5"
#makemultilinedisklabel "/Volumes/Mojave6 Boot/macOSMojave6Patcher" "Mojave6 (B)"$'\n'"10.14.6"
#makemultilinedisklabel "/Volumes/Catalina Boot/macOSCatalinaPatcher" "Catalina (B)"$'\n'"10.15.7"

#makemultilinedisklabel "/Volumes/Shell/shell" "Shell"$'\n'"" # •••••••••••••• find out the version of the Shell here
#makemultilinedisklabel "/Volumes/rEFIt/refit" "rEFIt"$'\n'"" # leave the custom label that has italics (no new versions are produced)

# makemultilinedisklabel "/Volumes/EFI1/EFI/BOOT" "EFI1/EFI/BOOT"$'\n'"Ubuntu boot" # custom label doesn't work on MacPro3,1 for "EFI Boot" but custom VolumeIcon.ics does work.

# NTFS disks are not readable by Mac EFI so these don't need a label (actually untrue - you can add ntfs.efi driver to Driver#### and DriverOrder
# but NTFS can't be blessed so the label won't be used even if it can be read - unless there's a bless EFI protocol that we can override?)
#makemultilinedisklabel "/Volumes/Windows 10/EFI/BOOT" "Windows"$'\n'"10"
#makemultilinedisklabel "/Volumes/Windows 7 64 b/EFI/BOOT" "Windows"$'\n'" 7 64 b"

# installers are probably not overwritten (doesn't matter since we set the schg flag)
#makemultilinedisklabel "/Volumes/Install Catalina 10.15.0.1 Patched/System/Library/CoreServices" "Install"$'\n'"Catalina"$'\n'"Patched"$'\n'"10.15.0.1"
#makemultilinedisklabel "/Volumes/Install Mojave 10.14.3 Patched/System/Library/CoreServices" "Install"$'\n'"Mojave"$'\n'"Patched"$'\n'"10.14.3"
#makemultilinedisklabel "/Volumes/Install Mojave 10.14.6 Patched/System/Library/CoreServices" "Install"$'\n'"Mojave"$'\n'"Patched"$'\n'"10.14.6"
#makemultilinedisklabel "/Volumes/Install High Sierra 10.13.6 Clover/System/Library/CoreServices" "Install"$'\n'"High"$'\n'"Sierra"$'\n'"Clover"$'\n'"10.13.6"
#makemultilinedisklabel "/Volumes/Install Sierra 10.12.5 Clover/System/Library/CoreServices" "Install"$'\n'"Sierra"$'\n'"Clover"$'\n'"10.12.5"
#makemultilinedisklabel "/Volumes/Install Catalina 10.15.2 Patched/System/Library/CoreServices" "Install"$'\n'"Catalina"$'\n'"Patched"$'\n'"10.15.2"
#makemultilinedisklabel "/Volumes/Install Catalina 10.15.3 Patched/System/Library/CoreServices" "Install"$'\n'"Catalina"$'\n'"Patched"$'\n'"10.15.3"
#makemultilinedisklabel "/Volumes/Install Catalina 10.15.6 Patched/System/Library/CoreServices" "Install"$'\n'"Catalina"$'\n'"Patched"$'\n'"10.15.6"
#makemultilinedisklabel "/Volumes/Install Catalina 10.15.7 Patched/System/Library/CoreServices" "Install"$'\n'"Catalina"$'\n'"Patched"$'\n'"10.15.7"

# rEFInd installed with -ownhfs argument automatically appears in Startup Manager like a normal HFS+ installed macOS (and therefore also appears in Startup Disk preferences panel)
# We'll make a custom label to include the version number.
#makemultilinedisklabel "/Volumes/rEFInd/System/Library/CoreServices" "rEFInd"$'\n'"0.11.5"

# show the appearance of all the .disk_labels after updating them
dumpAllDiskLabels

The MacPro3,1 firmware requires it32 type icons inside the .VolumeIcon.icns file. I created some custom tools to convert the format that newer macOS versions use.
Wow, thats an impressive programming rabbithole I don't have the know how to follow you into! I was just happy to have remote flashed my GPU with mac firmware :p I think that's probably it- I'm using a flashed windows GPU whereas you're using the mac one. As I say, my mac functions perfectly and the GPU is detected and I get the precious boot screen so I'm okay with that on a 12 year old mac!

also that ram you linked to is EXPENSIVE hahah

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.