Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mys7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2020
Hi everyone! i got a late 2008 Mac Pro 3,1 that still kicks asses (running patched Big Sur and Windows 11). Tbh since i got my M1 air i barely use it but, when i need it, it doesn't always turn on. I have to unplug/replug AC cable and it will work. I already tried to reset SMC without success. Can someone help me? Thank you in advance

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
I had the same Mac Pro that wouldn’t turn on unless you tried multiple times. Finally replaced the power supply and that fixed the problem. Your unpluggingnthe PS may be resetting something internally that allows it to power on. When you try to power on, does anything happen? Power LED, fans, etc?

mys7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2020
I had the same Mac Pro that wouldn’t turn on unless you tried multiple times. Finally replaced the power supply and that fixed the problem. Your unpluggingnthe PS may be resetting something internally that allows it to power on. When you try to power on, does anything happen? Power LED, fans, etc?
When i try to power on nothing happens. Unplugging may reset SMC?

mys7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2020
Thank you for the sad news... i see they're quite expensive :(

NewbiePPC

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2021
Some months ago I replace my 3,1 power supply with one from a 1,1. No issues until now

Reactions: mys7

mys7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2020
Hi! i replaced the battery and the problems seems solved, the mac pro turn on and off perfectly. Since i replaced the battery the fun run FULL speed all of the time! ? i'll try a SMC reset, if you have any suggestion...

mys7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2020
The IO fan goes crazy... i had to keep it quiet with smcFanControl (temperatures are ok anyway)

Steviewest

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2003
Edinburgh, Scotland
Yes, try both SMC and PRAM resets. Now that the battery can keep these in an uncorrupted state, the reset should stick.
(When the battery is low, they keep getting corrupted even after a reset)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.