Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BenjaminWeir

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Hello fellow mac users ive been using this mac pro lightly for a little while and i have noticed that the memory and cpus of my mac pro run pretty hot. I am more familiar with pcs than macs so I don't know if this is normal so I thought ill let you see and tell me if this is normal or not. This mac pro has recently been cleaned and has new thermal paste but maybe the job was done wrong I don't know. I made sure not to put to much or to little thermal paste and i am very successful with other computers so those temps concern me that i may have made a mistake. I have attached my machines specs and a screenshot of istat menus reported temps and mind you when I took the screenshot the only programs running were Firefox, grab, and avg antivirus.

Attachments

• Untitled.tiff
    86.3 KB · Views: 276
  • Untitled1.tiff
    4.4 MB · Views: 261

mikas

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2017
Finland
Something is not correct I'm afraid. My 3,1 does not reach those temps evven with running CineBech 3 times in a row (max CPU usage). See pic. It is a 2x 2.8GHz model with 6GB RAM though, but I don't think the difference should be that big between mine and yours. I have bought 64GB for it, and will report the DIMM-temps after upgrading (to 56GB as is adviced).

DIMM temps might be up because of CPU temps are so high, and they share the same cooling zone. Maybe it is the paste was dry or something else just went wrong installing the CPUs.

Are your DIMMs with heatsinks, and if so, what kind/size of heatsinks? Mine are with big black radiators in my 3,1. I've got an self upgraded 1,1 too (2x 2.66GHz, 32GB), and it does get hotter with FB-DIMMs with modest and thin heatsinks. I remember the FB (Fully Buffered) DIMMs do run hot because of the extra buffer chip in them doing it's work all the time. That's why heatsinks are needed or recommended with FB-DIMMs.
MP3_1_Temps_CB15_03.png

mikas

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2017
Finland
RAM Upgrade done, now 44GB.

And the DIMM temps went high after upgrading. New skinnier heatsinks (and bigger ram size) will give a serious boost at temps in there, like 12-13 °C, see slots 1 and 2; from 60-63 °C to 72-76 °C.

CPUs are not warm at all while cinebenching, even less so than earlier.

Still I think your problem is most likely with the CPUs. DIMM temps do rise a few degrees probably because of CPU heat flowing through DIMM riser compartment.

What about trying another software to gauge your temps. It might be a glitch in software maybe, I don't know? Macs Fan Control was used in above tests.

MP3_1_Temps_CB15_44GB_04.png

BenjaminWeir

macrumors newbie
Original poster
RAM Upgrade done, now 44GB.

And the DIMM temps went high after upgrading. New skinnier heatsinks (and bigger ram size) will give a serious boost at temps in there, like 12-13 °C, see slots 1 and 2; from 60-63 °C to 72-76 °C.

CPUs are not warm at all while cinebenching, even less so than earlier.

Still I think your problem is most likely with the CPUs. DIMM temps do rise a few degrees probably because of CPU heat flowing through DIMM riser compartment.

What about trying another software to gauge your temps. It might be a glitch in software maybe, I don't know? Macs Fan Control was used in above tests.

View attachment 896846
Hi thanks so much for the reply, the ram im using was from ebay and has the black apple heat sinks on them. Im gonna run a cinebench r15 on this system and am gonna post the results here.
[automerge]1583087400[/automerge]
Hi thanks so much for the reply, the ram im using was from ebay and has the black apple heat sinks on them. Im gonna run a cinebench r15 on this system and am gonna post the results here.
Ok here are my macs fan control temps while running cinebench r15

Attachments

• Untitled3.tiff
    2.3 MB · Views: 186
Last edited:

mikas

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2017
Finland
CPU core temps seem a lot lower for you now with MFC software. I've got no idea why they give different results.
Your Power Supply is somewhat hotter than mine though.

We live in a middle of winter here in Finland, and it's some minus degrees outside, and about +20 inside my house today. That might make a slight difference too maybe, I don't know about that, maybe it should not.

Overall your temp figures seem a lot better now. I believe the max operating temps for your CPU are around 67 °C, I have googled it earlier (from intel database). It's just if you are to believe the reports of the softwares or not.

BenjaminWeir

macrumors newbie
Original poster
CPU core temps seem a lot lower for you now with MFC software. I've got no idea why they give different results.
Your Power Supply is somewhat hotter than mine though.

We live in a middle of winter here in Finland, and it's some minus degrees outside, and about +20 inside my house today. That might make a slight difference too maybe, I don't know about that, maybe it should not.

Overall your temp figures seem a lot better now. I believe the max operating temps for your CPU are around 67 °C, I have googled it earlier (from intel database). It's just if you are to believe the reports of the softwares or not.
Yeah its weird how both give different results. Its around 60 because the macis located in my basement so it shouldnt get to hot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.