Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HansX

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2019
Berlin, Germany
Hi

I recently upgraded my MP 3,1 to Mojave with dosdudes Mojave patcher. Before that I was running and booting El Capitan from an OWC Accelsior S SSD board. Since I have moved to Mojave the boot from the OWC board will not work anymore. I've tried installing Mojave straight to the SSD which results into not finding the SSD as a boot drive during startup. Same result when I clone the Mojave HDD to the OWC SSD board. Any ideas whether OWC can be used as an external SSD boot drive on a MP 3,1. Booting Mojave from my HDD works perfect. Any idea appreciated.

Bets regards Hans

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
Does the drive show in "Disk Utility"?
If it does, have you tried re-partitioning it?
I have run Mojave on a SanDisk 500GB SSD mounted on an OWC Accelsior S PCIe card formatted APFS in my MP3,1 without any issues whatsoever.
I have also used HFS+ successfully in the past.

Right now I'm composing this post on a MP4,1/5,1 booted and running Mojave 10.14.6 beta1 from that very same OWC Accelsior S.

HansX

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2019
Berlin, Germany
When I install Mojave I do a full partion of APFS first and install it. Once the install is done, the post install pathces were run, I remove the USB stick, restart from scratch holding down the alt key and the SSD sitting in the OWC board is not shown as a choice to boot from.

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
When I install Mojave I do a full partion of APFS first and install it. Once the install is done, the post install pathces were run, I remove the USB stick, restart from scratch holding down the alt key and the SSD sitting in the OWC board is not shown as a choice to boot from.
And it never will, but you should see something called "EFI Boot", click on that and tell us what happens.
This is how my MP3,1 Boot screens shows up, the marked drive boots Mojave on my APFS Accelsior SSD.
It's only this way on unsupported systems BTW.

photo.JPG

Last edited:

HansX

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2019
Berlin, Germany
Hi

no idea what wrent wrong. Nevertheless I repeated the process for the 5th or 6th time and now everything works from the OWC SSD board. Thanks for your support. Problem solved :)

Br Hans

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.