Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

axius

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2023
A few impressions post-install of OpenCore Monterey on Mac Pro 3,1. Perhaps it could help someone else out if stumbling upon similar issues. My plan/wish was to fully move both my Mac Pro 3,1 to (at least) Monterey. One of them acts like a test-bed to be able to identify what works and what (might) not work.

This is a quick system setup listing of my second Mac Pro 3,1, currently works well with Dosdude's patched High Sierra:
* 2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
* 4 x 1 GB 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM (Being a test-install system, memory will likely be increased later)
* AMD Radeon R7850 Twin Frozr 2GD5/OC (2x mini DP, 1x HDMI, 1x DVI), non-Mac native/non-flashed, https://www.msi.com/Graphics-Card/R7850-Twin-Frozr-2GD5OC/Specification
* 2x 30-inch Apple Cinema Display HD (Confirmed working on my primary, other, El Capitan Mac Pro 3,1 via Dosdude's patcher on ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB.)
* Samsung 250 GB SSD SATA 2.5-inch, in the first drive bay. All other remaining (2 to 4) drive bays are empty.
* Wired Apple Pro Keyboard 2005 and wired Logitech mouse in case Bluetooth is not enabled.
* Using OpenCore Legacy Patcher 1.3.0, downloaded 28 December 2023, using a 128 GB Kingston USB-drive, USB 3.2-enabled.

Walkthrough:

* Time elapsed for creating the USB-drive, downloading Monterey, writing to disk, etc. : approximately 1 hour over 100 MB/s network.

* I was initially using the standard ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT in the Mac Pro 3,1 to be able to follow along in the installation process as it has native boot screen. After a while, I came to the conclusion that it created more (unnecessary) issues than needed. For example, the installation process of OpenCore to the USB-drive was straight-forward. However, when rebooting to initiate the installation of Monterey, it writes the installer to disk, entering "Recovery", enabling you to erase your internal SSD, start the installation. Now, when the system reboots, booting via OpenCore, then selecting "Monterey Installer with disk", not the "Monterey Installer-only"-icon, the system "hangs", no Caps Lock-led works.

* After several tests with NVRAM resets (Option+Command+P+R) upon boot, the behavior is persistent, even after removing the ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT and replacing it with the 7850.

* At this point, I decided to move the USB-disk to my other (primary work system) El Capitan Mac Pro 3,1, re-create the OpenCore installer, also adding the AMD GOP Injection during creating the OpenCore USB-disk. I also downloaded Monterey again, wrote it to the USB-disk. I rebooted, restarted the Monterey installation via OpenCore USB-boot by removing all disks (disconnecting all hard disks trays an inch from their drive bays), leaving the Radeon 7850 in the system, restarting the install sequence. This forces OpenCore to boot as there is no other alternative available than the USB-disk. This also confirmed a "boot screen" from the Radeon 7850, also that the 7850 "actually works" and is not "defect".

* I removed the SSD drive tray, connected it to a SATA-adapter-to-USB-adapter, erasing the drive in my "working" Mac Pro 3,1 to ensure nothing can boot from the internal SSD. Re-connecting the SSD drive bay to the test-bed Mac Pro 3,1, rebooting, installing Monterey to the SSD and at this point the behavior was similar as "previously" as the Monterey installer would not progress after the "first reboot", meaning not being able to continue with its "progress bar" after Monterey is written to the internal SSD. From this point, I started trying the other display ports/connectors as initially the DVI-port was used, connected to one of my 30-inch Cinema Display HD via a Apple Mini DisplayPort-Dual DVI. This, apparently, enabled the installer to continue whilst no actual "button" was pressed to "continue to install". Very "strange" - yet this is what "did the trick".

* Passing the point to actually "see what is going on on screen", the Monterey installer rebooted 3-4 times in total, also having to reset the NVRAM after each reboot because only the "Monterey Installer" was visible. After resetting the NVRAM, the "Monterey Installer with disks" was visible, enabling me to select that icon and the installer could continue.

* Upon last reboot, the installer and its progress bar did not show any "percentage", possibly due to OpenCore does not apply any specific patches for the graphics due to the AMD Radeon 7850 is Apple Metal-enabled.

* After "final" reboot, the process from start to "seeing the welcome screen in macOS", took approximately 2 hours, excluding the trial-and-error with the graphics, re-creating the OpenCore USB-drive, etc. Instantly after the first visual appearance of the "macOS login screen" with the "automatic writing of Welcome", the lines are drawn slightly slower, like there was no graphics acceleration, yet it seemed to revert to be "fully working" within seconds.

* As a last detail, OpenCore ("automatically") suggested to be written to the internal SSD. The system now boots within 25 seconds from a "cold start", having switched off the system after last night's install. The macOS Monterey login screen is properly visible, no USB-disk needed to boot.

At this point, I have not been able to fully test the system. I will revert after having done some basic testing, installing some applications.

Here are some quick observations - written to help others/developers/... with accompanying questions:

* One of the first visible "issues" could be the "Volume Hash Mismatch". Any workarounds regarding this as of late December 2023?
* CPU, fans, speed: Normal
* Network, Ethernet: Fully works
* Graphics: No graphical glitches visible as of yet, using Light and Dark "Appearance"/Mode works seamlessly, transparency, etc. The Radeon 7850 is detected as "Chipset Model: AMD Radeon HD 7XXX" in System Information. Single and Dual Screen setup works, 2x 30-inch Cinema Display HD, connected to mini-DisplayPort. DVI also works. Display sleep and wake up works. A quick, "non-scientific test", viewing a 4K@60fps video via Youtube utilizes each of the 8 cores continuously at about 40%. CPU fans and the Radeon 7850 fans do not speed up.
* No audio is detected. System Preferences do not show any audio devices in the "Output"-section. System Information > Audio has no listed devices.
USB: USB-drives (obviously) work, my Apple Pro Keyboard (white keys with numeric keypad from 2005) with a "simple" Logitech two button USB-mouse, connected to the back of the Mac Pro 3,1 in each USB-port: Works.
Bluetooth: Trying to "Turn Bluetooth On" does not work. (Primary El Capitan Mac Pro 3,1 has working Bluetooth).
System Sleep: via Apple logo > Sleep: Does not work. The screen goes to sleep, the system does not. In System Preferences > Energy Saver, there is no "Computer sleep"-option or "time out selector". Only "Turn display off after:". (Both Computer sleep and Display sleep is visible in System Preferences and working in El Capitan/Dosdude patcher.)
* No peripherals, such as for example printers, have been attached to test their compatibility.

In conclusion, so far as of December 30, the Mac Pro 3,1 two details remain unsolved:
* Audio is not working.
* Bluetooth is not working.
* Computer sleep is not working.

I also ticked off the options for automatic system updates in System Preferences > Software Update > Advanced to disable any unwanted downloads and updates.

Has anybody attempted to resolve the above audio, Bluetooth and computer sleep-matters? Any tips?

(Edit: Typo where OpenCore was referenced as 1.4.0 is changed is now corrected to 1.3.0.)

Last edited:

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
In your long post, you do not mention whether you reviewed the OCLP Troubleshooting documentation... or any OCLP docs for that matter...
or any forum threads...

LookToWindward

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2015
Which version of Open Core are you using? It says 1.4.0, I'm guessing this is a typeo and should be 1.3.0?

axius

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2023
Apologies, considering the thread was written late in the evening (local time), the version of OpenCore should read 1.3.0. Thanks for the heads up @LookToWindward.

@Bigwaff, I consulted certain documentation online, also your mentioned links, yet not being able to find specific details surrounding "fixes"/help for in particular "computer sleep". I have understood that Bluetooth could be a non-fixable matter with the on-board adapter and the audio might require an added USB-alternative. Audio and Bluetooth could possibly be added/upgraded once the system is "proven" to be "reliable", not crashing, data integrity is good, etc. Various Youtube resources have been consulted too prior to the Monterey install, such as DMUG, Mr. Machintosh, Jessie's Flying, etc. The walkthroughs for installs are very elaborate, yet finding solutions to potential issues post-install are less prominent.

In the mean time, the "Volume Hash Mismatch" matter (might) be resolved. At the moment and after several the day after reboots, the error-message has not showed itself.

The Radeon 7850 seems to be working well. I am not performing any heavy duty operations, hence no spefic need for a "better" card such as RX580. I was looking at the R7850 for its price-to-performance value plus the fact that it carries 2x mini DisplayPorts to fit my 2x 30-inch Cinema Displays HD. Both the MP 3,1 are today used for more "administrative" tasks such as email, Photoshop/illustrator, file storage/sharing. Hence the "need" for a fully functional "computer sleep".

One can certainly "survive" without audio and Bluetooth on the MP 3,1, yet the "computer sleep" feature is crucial - at least for me. Having to shutdown and relaunch one's work is unfortunately not optimal. I was therefore checking in if somebody had a similar experience and a potential "fix".

Thanks for all the help in advance.

LookToWindward

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2015
You realise that there's a problem with using OCLP 1.3.0 to do with recovery? I'm having to start again from scratch using OCLP 1.1.0

axius

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2023
@LookToWindward, are you suggesting to roll back to OCLP 1.1.0, reinstall and stay with 1.1.0 until certain quirks (might) resolve for the MP 3,1?

LookToWindward

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2015
Well, the Recovery is broken on 1.2.0 to 1.3.0 so if you run into problems you have to jump through hoops to recover, so I would say yes. I'm building a new OCLP USB Installer as I type

LookToWindward

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2015
I also forced the Model to MacPro 3.1 in the setting too, this seemed to make things faster although it might be my imagination.....

axius

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2023
@LookToWindward, interesting. I can wipe the internal SSD or make a partition to house another Monterey install based on OpenCore 1.1.0. From there, check what is working/broken.

Prior to "finally being able to arrive at the macOS welcome screen", I made several USB-disks based on the host model to be auto-selected and then manually selected to 3,1. I was not observant enough to see whether it could had an impact on speed. Writing the actual USB disk is still limited to the native USB 2.0 for MP 3,1, the Kingston USB has higher/better qualities, yet limited by the native MP 3,1 USB ports.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
Y know, seems to me that Dosdude quietly said this OCLP would be a night mare when BigSur was released.
tho he rescinded that, i'm just shaking my head over the confusion of versions and "writes"
as dosdudes patches were easy to install, fool proof and as to quote Steve Jobs, "It just works!"

im happy of OCLP an used that on the MBP and even donated to these techies,
but they need (dortina) to simplify things which is not in their nature.

well good luck figuring this all out, I mean that sincerely.

PS my friend in Cupertino told me years ago this upgrade will help :apple:
since one will get too frustrated and purchase brand new MacBooks, etc.
like I did!

Last edited:

axius

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2023
On another note about OCLP 1.3.0, I used my iMac (27-inch, Mid 2010), jumped from a Dosdude patched High Sierra (very straight forward to install) to OCLP 1.3.0 Monterey install and the iMac works with no issues, even graphics. I might make a separate thread on it as a walkthrough - just wanted to mention that it was the reason for using OCLP 1.3.0 for the Mac Pro 3,1. I never thought about that an earlier version of OCLP might have some potential issues.

LookToWindward

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2015
Yes, it's a problem, 1.3.0 has better support for more configurations but it's recovery is broken. Maybe the answer is to install with 1.3.0 and then patch the OC to 1.1.0?

axius

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2023
Y know, seems to me that Dosdude quietly said this OCLP would be a night mare when BigSur was released.
tho he rescinded that, i'm just shaking my head over the confusion of versions and "writes"
as dosdudes patches were easy to install, fool proof and as to quote Steve Jobs, "It just works!"

like I

like I did!
I echo that fully, the perspective and future prospects. However, I do find both my Mac Pro 3,1 to be stable, solid and potential to carry along with the work that I do. I am not a "power user" - at least not any longer - making the systems fully capable to conduct "normal work". I am not editing millions of pixels-based video which renders these machines excellent. Considering the amount of finances have been used over the course of the years on the systems, it would be valuable to keep them running for many more years.

Reactions: MBAir2010

axius

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2023
Yes, it's a problem, 1.3.0 has better support for more configurations but it's recovery is broken. Maybe the answer is to install with 1.3.0 and then patch the OC to 1.1.0?
Hmm. That could also be an option - at least a "faster" option since it would possibly not require to rewrite the entire USB.

LookToWindward

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2015
I found out about the problems with OCLP 1.2.0 - 1.3.0, in passing, after I reported a on their discord. Oh, by the way, the recovery on 1.3.0 is broken. In the meantime it still prompts me to update from 1.1.0 at every opportunity, why they are pushing a broken app is beyond me.....

LookToWindward

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2015
Hmm. That could also be an option - at least a "faster" option since it would possibly not require to rewrite the entire USB.
If you work out how to do it, please let us know the result. I'm doing it the slow and (hopefully) sure way!

axius

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2023
Progress so far. I will now reboot with OCLP 1.1.0.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-12-31 at 15.08.08.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-31 at 15.08.08.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 55
  • Screenshot 2023-12-31 at 15.06.39.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-31 at 15.06.39.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 50
  • Screenshot 2023-12-31 at 15.08.20.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-31 at 15.08.20.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 56
  • Screenshot 2023-12-31 at 15.08.59.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-31 at 15.08.59.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 53
Reactions: MBAir2010

axius

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2023
What version of MacOS are you using to do all this? El Capitan?
Well, partially so to speak. I initially tried/started with Dosdude patched El Capitan on the same mentioned system. Then, when running into difficulties as outlined in the first post, partially due to "no visuals"/graphics during the install and partial hangs (Caps Lock not working on the keyboard), I resorted remove the internal SSD from the drive bay, erasing it with a USB-SATA-adapter on my other MP 3,1. From there, when the system does not find any other bootable drives, it forces it to boot from the OCLP 1.3.0 USB-stick. From there, after trying various outputs on the Radeon 7850, somehow I did get the graphics to work and could also follow along in the Monterey Installer from the USB-stick.

axius

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2023
Progress update.

After OCLP 1.1.0 was written to the internal SSD, upon reboot, the system did not start. A shutdown with the power button on the front of MP 3,1 was done. A new boot and the system boots into the macOS Monterey login screen. However, this time, the OpenCore icon was visible during boot and also the "macOS boot progress bar" with black background. After 25 seconds, the system is online again.

Observations:
* OpenCore intuitively asks wither you would like to update from 1.1.0 to 1.3.0 directly after login. Actually great - knowing 1.1.0 did install to the bootable SSD.
* The graphics is now identified as "AMD Radeon R9 270 2 GB", not as "AMD Radeon HD 7XXX". I will revert with any possible glitches if identified. Worth mentioning, single screen setup works, two displays to be active might have required reconfiguration of the display ports, now using 1x DVI and 1x miniDisplayPort to Dual Link DVI-adapter. (Pre 1.1.0, I used 2x miniDisplayPort, so the graphics now being identified as R9 270 could have loaded another driver.)
* The audio is back (!). Quick test via volume up/volume down-buttons and Youtube via native Safari.
* Bluetooth is (still) not functional.
* "Computer sleep" via "Apple Menu  > Sleep" does not work, neither via Terminal ("sudo pmset sleep 1"). When using
 > Sleep, only the display dim, yet the system still runs with fans on both CPUs and graphics. (On my other MP 3,1, when selecting Sleep, the system dims the screens and it takes about 5 seconds for the fans to shut down and relays "click" in the MP 3,1 for a Sleep. The same system can also be woken up by Bluetooth, the Apple Wireless Keyboard and Magic Mouse.)

At least one item on the list from the previous that was not working seem to be functional. Please see the attached images for reference.

"Optimally", to be able to resolve the Sleep-issue would be fantastic. Again, one can "survive" without Bluetooth.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-12-31 at 15.20.09.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-31 at 15.20.09.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 36
  • Screenshot 2023-12-31 at 15.20.33.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-31 at 15.20.33.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 39
  • Screenshot 2023-12-31 at 15.18.31.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-31 at 15.18.31.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 39
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.