Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MENESthePharaoh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2017
( Make sure to read follow up post for new damning evidence )

Whats up Legends! I come back every couple of years ; and you guys always come through ; so here I am again lol.

The specs are in the attached image ; and the issue is in attached video ; but short is a Mac Pro 3.1 Quad Core Xeon Intel [ I have 24GB of ram, I just had it removed for testing purposes in this picture. ]

She's been with me since the beginning ; and all I've ever had to replace was the original RAM, and the horrific NVIDIA graphics card which took a mountain dive real quick. Other than some strange issues its been smooth sailing. I've got a 2019 MBP, and a Studio, but I still use this beast for a lot.

I say this without a true understanding, but I don't think the OS, nor other normal "solutions" play a big part in any of this issue. As I have not updated, nor gone on the internet with it in MANY years. I could be wrong but I digress.

I have attempted the normal solutions

Resetting NVRAM/SMC
Ran Disk/Permissions Check
Swapped out RAM/Logic Boards
Confirmed Peripherals worked on other Devices
Creating a New User

I have a SPARE ATI Graphics card on hand, and will try that most likely tonight.

When I boot ; there is a strange delay on MOUSE/KEYBOARD function, every second, it "freezes" and jumps. Every second keystroke, it skips. This is CONSISTENT. There seems to be a stutter on the machine. I tried a WIRED mouse, and the same thing is happening. So I assume it is not a bluetooth issue. I have checked the Activity Monitor, and everything seems to be fine, there is no large scale impact happening.

Now the strange part. I was assuming that my whole SYSTEM was skipping so maybe my HD was nose diving, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I tried playing some music, and there was no skipping on it. I put on a "timer", and there was no SKIPPING of any seconds. So this seems to be a peripheral issue from my understanding ( or lack there of ).

I have searched far and wide, and really have come across no solutions that work, as most of them seem to be bluetooth related. And most forms/post relating to my older than most of your kids machine have been K.I.A'd.

I have changed NOTHING in the past few years, there has been no hardware shift, internet access, or app downloading. Nothing. So this issue seems to have just appeared, and I'm to assume there is some cryptic answer to it.

Anyways ; Thank you LEGENDS! I welcome all, the troll me to my grave squad is also welcome. I would love to see the theories about what is happening.

Attachments

• IMG_8748.jpg
    IMG_8748.jpg
    627.4 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:

MENESthePharaoh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2017
So ; an interesting update that may lead to an answer from those who are smarter than myself.

I had bought a second Mac Pro 3,1 basically for parts ect. a few years back, it worked fine and was a great price so I picked it up.

I have just put my HD into it to see if the problem persisted, narrowing it to a system issue vs. a hardware issue. Lo and behold, the problem does not persist on this Mac Pro. Plausibly ruling it down to a hardware issue.

With that being said ; does anyone have any opinions of what the issue may be now that I think a lot of things are ruled out?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.