Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flyman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 28, 2004
Hi Everyone,

Before my troubles started I had 2x2gb in riser board A and 2x2gb in riser board B and everything was working fine.

However today I came to install 2 new 4gb modules by placing them into slots 1 & 2 of riser B and placing the 4x2gb modules into riser B and now it's all gone horribly wrong!

When I turned on my mac the fans went into overdrive but i still managed to get into my account but could only see 8gb of the 16gb installed.

I then shut down took out the new 4gb modules put back everything back as before and restarted but this time it powered up but there wasn't even a boot sequence!

I've tried switching the boards around and even tried an SMC reset but all to no avail.

I'm totally stuck and not sure what to do next can anyone please help?

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Doublecheck to make sure all of the memory sticks are inserted properly and completely.

Are you seeing any diagnostic LEDs lit up? I'm not familiar with the 2008, but I think there are LEDs for every memory slot, plus an additional bank of LEDs elsewhere.

Do you hear the Apple boot chime?

flyman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 28, 2004
After a lot of tinkering and after closer examination I think I've been supplied the wrong type of ram!
I'll speak with the suppliers tomorrow and report back later.

flyman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 28, 2004
Ok got some more ram from Mr memory and now it all seems to be in working order - I now have 16gb of Ram!:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.