Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

catalina19

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2022
I recently got a 2008 Mac Pro from a friend as it was not working, and I’m trying to see if I can get it running again. Turing the machine on shows a solid light on the power button and causes the fans to spin at max, but it doesn't show a display or signs it had booted.

IMG_3997.JPG

From what I have tested, the diagnostic LEDs show the CPUs, Standby Power and EFI working, but no GPU or Power Good. Looking it up, the next step appeared to be to check the board for any shorts or check the power supply. The motherboard appears to be good, so I purchased a used Power Supply, which did not solve the issue. I tested the voltages of the used Power Supply (except on the J1 Connector which connects to the power button) and they all appeared good.

IMG_4080.JPG

(It came with the fans and ram, I just took them out to look at the full motherboard)

I have tried removing components resetting the SMC and PRAM, swapping power supplies, and checking the motherboard and power connectors, but nothing seems to help. What could be wrong or what other steps can I take to fix this Mac Pro?

Thanks for the help!

godonr

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2022
I have an early 2008 With a bad PS. It’s serial number indicates an EEE of LRX and I can’t find a replacement 661-4677 power supply. All the ones I’ve found have different EEE codes. I would check your machines serial number and make sure the EEE matches the supply you bought. Apparently there’s a lot of same but different and that could be an issue

YWaicok

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2023
Hola, tengo el mismo problema, pudiste solucionarlo?
Hace poco recibí una Mac Pro 2008 de un amigo porque no funcionaba, y estoy tratando de ver si puedo hacer que vuelva a funcionar. Al encender la máquina, se muestra una luz sólida en el botón de encendido y hace que los ventiladores giren al máximo, pero no muestra una pantalla ni señales de que se haya iniciado.

View attachment 2052984

Por lo que he probado, los LED de diagnóstico muestran que las CPU, Standby Power y EFI funcionan, pero no GPU ni Power Good. Al buscarlo, el siguiente paso parecía ser revisar la placa en busca de cortocircuitos o verificar la fuente de alimentación. La placa base parece estar bien, así que compré una fuente de alimentación usada, que no resolvió el problema. Probé los voltajes de la fuente de alimentación usada (excepto en el conector J1 que se conecta al botón de encendido) y todos parecían buenos.

View attachment 2052986
(Venía con los ventiladores y la ram, solo los saqué para ver la placa base completa)

Intenté eliminar componentes, restablecer el SMC y la PRAM, cambiar las fuentes de alimentación y verificar la placa base y los conectores de alimentación, pero nada parece ayudar. ¿Qué podría estar mal o qué otros pasos puedo seguir para arreglar este Mac Pro?

¡Gracias por la ayuda!

Attachments

• 1674130192696.png
    1674130192696.png
    326 bytes · Views: 54
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.