Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

astarana2007

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2023
Hello together,
I am now the owner of a Mac Pro 4.1, with a 2.66 GHZ Quad-Core Intel Xeon. I have one SSD installed so far, a SAMSUNG MZ7PD256HAFV-000H7. I have expanded the RAM to 24 GB. The graphics card is still the original GT120 with 512MB VRAM. All well and good. The maximum operating system, is Mac OS Sierra, and with that you can do almost nothing nowadays. So I did some research and found OPENCORE LEGACY PATCHER. With that I could install Monterey without any problems. It runs so far, only that just, the Mac Pro, hangs again and again, and then you have to stall him, and that unfortunately god, after booting.

I would be glad if you could help me, because I need this Mac Pro umbedingt to cut videos, and record small soundtracks.

Thanks in advance
Astarana2007

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
The GT120 is far from ideal for video works in a system what requires Metal GPUs. The non-metal patches are ok for basic office use but not for video work.

Check the temperatures with a tool like MacsFanControl. Especially Northbridge temperature and the delta between Northbridge die und heatsink. Post a complete screenshot of the tool.

Run the Mac with a native OS like El Capitan (if it has still the 4.1 firmware or High Sierra if it was updated to 5.1 firmware) to double check.

astarana2007

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2023
The GT120 is far from ideal for video works in a system what requires Metal GPUs. The non-metal patches are ok for basic office use but not for video work.

Check the temperatures with a tool like MacsFanControl. Especially Northbridge temperature and the delta between Northbridge die und heatsink. Post a complete screenshot of the tool.

Run the Mac with a native OS like El Capitan (if it has still the 4.1 firmware or High Sierra if it was updated to 5.1 firmware) to double check.
Hello, thank you very much for your feedback!
Attached is the screenshot, hope it is the right one.
I also noticed that the Mac Pro at startup displays the message:
Your Computer restarted because of a problem. Press a Key or wait a few seconds to continue starting up.

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2023-05-14 um 13.33.53.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2023-05-14 um 13.33.53.png
    166.6 KB · Views: 65

astarana2007

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2023
this comes after the startup

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2023-05-14 um 13.51.46.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2023-05-14 um 13.51.46.png
    203.2 KB · Views: 70

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Hello together,
I am now the owner of a Mac Pro 4.1, with a 2.66 GHZ Quad-Core Intel Xeon. I have one SSD installed so far, a SAMSUNG MZ7PD256HAFV-000H7. I have expanded the RAM to 24 GB. The graphics card is still the original GT120 with 512MB VRAM. All well and good. The maximum operating system, is Mac OS Sierra, and with that you can do almost nothing nowadays. So I did some research and found OPENCORE LEGACY PATCHER. With that I could install Monterey without any problems. It runs so far, only that just, the Mac Pro, hangs again and again, and then you have to stall him, and that unfortunately god, after booting.

I would be glad if you could help me, because I need this Mac Pro umbedingt to cut videos, and record small soundtracks.

Thanks in advance
Astarana2007
For 2009 cMP, if you want to run Monterey, you better have at least two hardware upgrade.

1) CPU, the W3520 is known to have audio issue in newer macOS. You better upgrade it to something like W3690. If budget limiting, X5677 is a good choice.

2) GPU, in fact, you don't even need OCLP to patch anything, just get a low cost RX460, then you can run Monterey via OpenCore without any system file patching.

However, the above assume that you don't need wifi (I believe most 4,1 has no wifi card indeed). BT should work with some tricks in OpenCore, but if you need that, and can't make it work. The worst case is just to buy a USB BT dongle, then problem fixed. If you need native wifi / BT support for whatever reason, you should also upgrade the Wifi / BT card.

Once you have the hardware ready, you can flash your cMP from 4,1 to 5,1, then you can install all the hardware. And you can now use OpenCore to run Monterey without any system file patching.

In my own experience, this kind of setup is very stable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.