Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mosw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2018
Hi all

I'm using a Mac Pro 4.1 (flashed to 5.1) with a non flashed GTX1060 with OS 10.12.5 and wanted to upgrade to High Sierra. To do so, I removed the GTX1060 and put my old ATI Radeon 4870 back in to be able to follow the described procedure http://dosdude1.com/highsierra/

Coming to my issue, it seems that even with my old "Apple" graphic card, I cannot go into recovery mode. Rebooting with Command-R (also tried Single-User Mode as well as Startup Manager) gives me no screen.
I already googled the issue and it seems that it somehow stuck in a loop to load the correct drivers. Therefore, I also tried uninstalling the NVIDIA Drivers but it did not help.

Does anybody have experience with this?

Thank you in advance!

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Hi all

I'm using a Mac Pro 4.1 (flashed to 5.1) with a non flashed GTX1060 with OS 10.12.5 and wanted to upgrade to High Sierra. To do so, I removed the GTX1060 and put my old ATI Radeon 4870 back in to be able to follow the described procedure http://dosdude1.com/highsierra/

Coming to my issue, it seems that even with my old "Apple" graphic card, I cannot go into recovery mode. Rebooting with Command-R (also tried Single-User Mode as well as Startup Manager) gives me no screen.
I already googled the issue and it seems that it somehow stuck in a loop to load the correct drivers. Therefore, I also tried uninstalling the NVIDIA Drivers but it did not help.

Does anybody have experience with this?

Thank you in advance!
If your Mac Pro has been flashed to be a 5,1 you don't need to use DOSDude's method to install High Sierra. High Sierra is fully supported on the Mac Pro 5,1. You can either upgrade to High Sierra just by running the installer from Sierra, or you could make a USB installer and do a clean install that way.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
If you sure the recovery partition is there (e.g. NOT running from a self created Fusion Drive that have no recovery partition etc), try a PRAM reset.

mosw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2018
If your Mac Pro has been flashed to be a 5,1 you don't need to use DOSDude's method to install High Sierra. High Sierra is fully supported on the Mac Pro 5,1. You can either upgrade to High Sierra just by running the installer from Sierra, or you could make a USB installer and do a clean install that way.

... Didn't thought about that, just checked and see that I have 4.1 (again)... So I tried to get it back to 5.1, but it looks like it does not work. Anyway, I will follow-up on this solution.

If you sure the recovery partition is there (e.g. NOT running from a self created Fusion Drive that have no recovery partition etc), try a PRAM reset.

I tried it but it hasn't helped with the issue.
I'm also thinking about making a clean installation, but as long as I cannot but from an external source (USB or similar), I'm not sure if this is even possible :(

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I'm also thinking about making a clean installation, but as long as I cannot but from an external source (USB or similar), I'm not sure if this is even possible :(

You just said you can't boot into recovery partition. I expect you can still boot to normal OS. As long as you can do that, just run the OS installer inside the normal OS, select any other drive as the destination, then you will have a clean installation "test drive". That may even give you back your recovery partition. On a Mac Pro without multiple internal SATA port, that's very simple.

mosw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2018
Thanks for your inputs. I managed to flash the Mac Pro to 5.1 by "blindly" disabling csrutil, which blocked the flashing and than upgrade to High Sierra the regular way.

I'm still not able to go to recovery mode, but this is not urgent - I will try it later by making a clean install.

Reactions: h9826790
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.