Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rp7777

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2020
Wondering if anyone can help me out here to gather some information.

I have a 2012 Mac Pro (5,1). Have an idea regarding the power supply etc.

Do not particularly want to disassemble my Mac Pro at this point if I can avoid (main and only machine currently) to get to the info so hoping someone has access to bits already.

What I am after:

1) The connector at the end of the cables that come from the power supply. The connector is the one that plugs into the logic board (behind the panel in the ODD Bay.
2) Does this connector have any identifying numbers, text, symbols etc. on it? If so - what are they?
3) I am assuming that this connector is specific (to Apple/Mac Pro) and not a "standard" connector. If, in fact, it is some kind of standard or known connector - any idea what it is known as? (name, format type, model etc.).

I have searched and I cannot find any info (always only see the Power Supply with the cables and connector attached) and no images of connector alone where I could see type/number etc.

Appreciate if anyone has a 4,1/5,1 power supply handy that could take a look at and advise any info on it.

(Also, just thought - possibly the logic board socket part (that the connector plugs into) may have some info also - if anyone has a logic board out appreciate if you could look and advise also).

Any and all help is appreciated.

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
Guess the mist info you will find here

If you want another connector buy a dead psu cheap.

rp7777

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2020
Guess the mist info you will find here
Thanks - already been through the thread but it doesn't help with identifying the connector.

If you want another connector buy a dead psu cheap

Thanks - not what I am after - do not want to strip the connector from a PSU - want an empty connector and to know the actual type/number etc. for an idea which may involve "other" connectors related to that form.

KeesMacPro

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2019
I doubt anyone here will know the type/number of this connector...
After measuring the dimensions and counting the pins, you may find it at an electronics supplier e.g. mouser.com

rp7777

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2020
I doubt anyone here will know the type/number of this connector...
After measuring the dimensions and counting the pins, you may find it at an electronics supplier e.g. mouser.com
Thanks for replying.

You are probably correct - I could tear apart my Mac Pro and then trawl suppliers (like mouser etc.) looking (hoping) for a picture of something that "looks" the same. Trust me - thought of that - been there/done that for other things.

But, hopefully, some kind soul out there with an already extracted Mac Pro PSU and/or logic board could take a close look at it for me, provide any data that might be on/around it, maybe (if I'm really lucky) provide some decent photos of connector/socket (if for no other reason to help with comparing to said sites data).

Or, if I'm really lucky - who knows - someone who actually works with this tech may even know exactly what I need to search for - electrical connectors not my usual job.

I can hope.

And then if I draw a blank - I try then next thing etc.

And I would appreciate any useful info very much.

KeesMacPro

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2019
I could tear apart my Mac Pro

Getting access to the connector is a 2 min job...

As far as I understood ,what I find contradictory is that you suppose you won't find any useful data, but somebody else will....

Good luck with your project.

Last edited:

rp7777

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2020
Updating my own thread with the relevant details as now have found the required info and will post here for reference should someone else need at some point.

Was able to (finally) locate thanks to other helpful forum member who provided photos in their thread when I asked (they had their PSU out to do mod). The thread there: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...-pin-out.2122393/?post=29157895#post-29157895

Details:

The Logic Board socket (referred to by Molex as a Right-Angle Plug Assembly) is:

Part Number: 464371023
Description: 2.54mm, 7.50mm Pitch EXTreme Ten60Power Right-Angle Plug Assembly, 2 Power Circuits, 15 Signal Circuits, 2 Power Circuits, Halogen Free
Link: https://www.molex.com/molex/products/part-detail/pcb_headers/0464371023

The plug on the end of the PSU wires (referred to by Molex as Receptacle Housing) is:

Part Number: 467070001
Description: 2.54mm, 7.50mm Pitch EXTreme Ten60Power Receptacle Housing, 15 Signal Circuits, 4 Power Circuits, Halogen-Free
Link: https://www.molex.com/molex/products/part-detail/crimp_housings/0467070001

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.