Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rodrigo Lizana

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2014
Santiago Chile
Hello,

I'm struggling on the last step of the quest to make my 2009 4,1 (firmware upgraded to 5,1) Mac Pro a decent color grading station again.

Have already succeed upgrading the firmware to 5.1, installing Open Core 0.6.7 and Big Sur 11.7.7, got all the PCI cards working, Da Vinci Resolve 18.1.4 is running very stable but a bit too slow due to the old Radeon HD 7950 3GB card. So the last step was to upgrade the GPU and for that I bought a Radeon RX 580 8GB card (which I understand can be used with my configuration without the need of any additional drivers). So I installed the card with the two power cables provided but some weird things happens. First I've got image only on one of the 2 Led Cinema Diplays and the cursor became really unresponsive upon mouse movement. On about this Mac > overview > graphics > "Display 14MB" when it should say Radeon RX 580 8GB or something like that. Resolve doesn't see any GPU to select at all. And the system crashed continuously. Finally ended giving up, switched back to the Radeon HD 7950 3GB and everything got back to normal.

But I do need to make this card work as the 7950 is so slow for Resolve...

Please I'd really appreciate any guidance to solve this !

Thanks in advance

Rodrigo Lizana

Mac Pro 4.1 (FW upg 5.1)
2x 2.26 quad core Intel Xeon
OSX 11.7.7 / Open Core 0.6.7
Sapphire Radeon Pulse RX580 8GB slot 1 (not working) / Radeon HD7950 3GB
32GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Resolve Studio 18.1.4
Desktop Video 12.0
Decklink SDI 4k (slot 3)
Apple Raid card (slot 4)
4x 480 GB SSD raid 0

Last edited:

Bloodklot

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2011
I'm having the same problem except I'm running Opencore 0.6.8 on my mac pro 5,1. Using a rx 6600 xt which i flashed the rom so it should work. But I get the Display 14mb in my system overview and mouse movements are choppy so I'm assuming it doesn't recognize the card and running off some on board graphics. I also have bootcamp partition on this ssd. Do you also have another boot partiton on your hd? Trying to figure out if i need to do a clean install as I only used opencore to upgrade High Sierra.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.