Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GalactiNaut

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2018
Do the RX Vega cards need to be flashed to work with the old Mac Pros? I've done a lot of research about Nvidia cards, but I don't really know how it works with the AMD cards. I've seen some stuff about editing kext files. If you do that does it work with the EFI, or would it need to be flashed like the Nvidia cards?

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong

GalactiNaut

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2018
Man, you're on it with this stuff. Thank you. Since you'll probably answer if I post a separate thread I might as well just ask you directly :p I've read that the mini 6 pin connectors in the mac pro have 3 pins powered and can run an 8 pin no problem, but I've also read that you get more than 75w, but not the full 125w. Is this the case? I'd like to avoid running a sata power adapter.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Man, you're on it with this stuff. Thank you. Since you'll probably answer if I post a separate thread I might as well just ask you directly :p I've read that the mini 6 pin connectors in the mac pro have 3 pins powered and can run an 8 pin no problem, but I've also read that you get more than 75w, but not the full 125w. Is this the case? I'd like to avoid running a sata power adapter.

IMO, the mini 6pins are not quite enough to power the Vega.

Vega 56 still ok for normal high demand. But AFAIK, not good enough for stress test.

Vega 64 is almost guarantee can hit the shutdown protection if you stress it.

If you don’t want to use SATA power. Pixlas mod is the way to go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.