Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrisb42

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2015
Hi all, my trusty 4,1 (flashed to 5,1) all of a sudden just shut down without being under load and wouldn't properly start up anymore. After it cooled off, it will boot again, but within 5 minutes or so before it just shuts down again.

I read the threads about the temperature issues and cleaned and replaced the thermal paste both for the CPU (I have a single CPU tray, running one X5675) and the Northbridge (which was completely baked and hard). However, it still shuts down after a few minutes, even though the temps from what I could gather in iStat were fine (and certainly lower than before).

Is my CPU tray broken? I assume the CPU is fine, otherwise it wouldn't even work for the initial 5 minutes, correct? What part of the tray would cause this behavior all of a sudden? Nothing had changed hard- or software wise in quite a while; I'm running Mojave with OpenCore, booting from an NVMe SSD, and this configuration has been stable for quite a while now.

I assume it is still somewhat heat-related, as it did happen on one of those hot days we had recently; currently running with a borrowed 2 CPU tray from a different 4,1 and that works perfectly fine, despite showing much higher temps in some areas (no thermal paste replaced there yet), so I know the rest of the system works fine.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Could be a short, usually happens with one the PWM MOSFETS, the Qxxx components near the CPU socket. Look for bubbles/burn in signs.

chrisb42

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2015
If it's anything like this, I should start looking for a replacement, because I wouldn't be able to fix that…

m1maverick

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2020
Last edited:

chrisb42

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2015
Yeah, luckily parts are available for relatively little money. I don't really need dual CPUs for what I do. Also, how much more is the power draw of dual CPUs vs a single one?

Having said that, I'm contemplating getting a "real" 5,1 with dual CPU lots of memory that's offered locally for $250. :cool:

YZFNYC

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2015
Palm Bay Florida
Have you replaced the plastic clips on your North Bridge chip heat sink? If not check it. If it's that go to ace hardware and get a couple of small bolts with nuts and replace.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.