Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GalactiNaut

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2018
I was wondering if somebody who has experience upgrading old Mac Pros could tell me if I put in a GTX 1080 or 1080 Ti (flashed) if I will be able to use the display port audio output.

As it is, I am not able to select my monitor for audio output, connected via mini display port to HDMI. From the searching I've done, I believe this may just be a limitation with the GT 120 and not the Mac itself.

skizzo

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2018
the GT120 does not have any audio controller associated with it, its a hardware limitation of that card. go through the linked thread that was provided above for the process on getting audio out your GPU but you will need a GPU that is newer/compatible with outputting audio

mjoecups

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2017
I think Not.

I have a Mac Pro 4,1 updated to a 5,1 with the MSI 1060 Nvidia card in it. The Nvidia Web drivers allow the card to work FANTASTICALLY, with amazing fast speeds and lots of brute force for computation too.

HOWEVER. There doesn't appear to be an audio driver for High Sierra that supports HDMI Audio for Nvidia?

I have been looking for a solution to this and see lots of Hacintosh people who seem to have figured out a way to make this happen, but my machine doesn't work, despite the addition various non-apple Kext's.

So, I think this is a great question and would love to see a working solution, but as of today, I am not optimistic. Please let me know what you discover!

I was wondering if somebody who has experience upgrading old Mac Pros could tell me if I put in a GTX 1080 or 1080 Ti (flashed) if I will be able to use the display port audio output.

As it is, I am not able to select my monitor for audio output, connected via mini display port to HDMI. From the searching I've done, I believe this may just be a limitation with the GT 120 and not the Mac itself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.