Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cinclodes

macrumors member
Original poster
May 12, 2022
I have been an owner of many Mac Pros during the past 20 years. I have done firmware updates many times, including routine updates long ago and those that have become more challenging in recent years. I have used approaches described at various sites for upgrading from 4,1 to 5,1 and for upgrading to run High Sierra. In some cases, it has gone smoothly. In other cases, it has been an ordeal -- even though it was the same task and the same approach. Others have reported similar problems.

A recent upgrade from 4,1 to 5,1 was particularly difficult. I first had to upgrade to OS 10.9 so that a USB wifi would work. I tried the approach described here. As others mention in the discussion at that site, I kept getting the 5530 error. After the better part of a day of trying various things, I finally got it to work after updating to OS 10.11. For some reason, it wouldn't work under OS 10.9 on that particular computer. In order to complete one of the steps, I had to set the time of the computer back to early 2016.

I have had mixed results updating firmware for High Sierra. In some cases, it has gone smoothly. In other cases, it has been an hours-long ordeal as others have reported. When problems arise, I have found part of the long description from August 9, 2018, here to be useful. This approach involves a modified version of High Sierra that will install without the firmware update. This approach has worked for a few cases in which I wasn't able to find any other way to get the job done. After installing the modified OS, I was then able to do the firmware update.

I would like to thank those who have come up with ways of updating firmware on these machines, but it would be nice if someone could find a fool-proof approach. There ought to be a way that would make it possible to do this in a matter of minutes. In some cases, however, it turns out to be an ordeal. In some of those cases, it became a blur of trying different ideas, and I can't recall exactly how I finally got it to work.

Reactions: Gmack523

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
All the caveats of upgrading High Sierra and Mojave BootROMs are described in the first post of the thread below:

Reactions: skeptech

cinclodes

macrumors member
Original poster
May 12, 2022
All the caveats of upgrading High Sierra and Mojave BootROMs are described in the first post of the thread below:

Thanks! I have perused that thread many times. I am very appreciative to those who compile such information, but it reads like instructions for brain surgery. I have had problems updating Mac Pros that were identical in configuration to other Mac Pros for which there was no problem. Nothing in those instructions seems to account for such experiences.

Borowski

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2018
And what were your problems exactly?

The crossflashing process with Netkas tool is outdated, since it is possible to directly update the bootrom to latest version 144.0.0.0.0 with reconstructed bootrom, will avoid the well-known corruption and can straight update without the need of starting installers and doing update step by step.

cinclodes

macrumors member
Original poster
May 12, 2022
Various problems for various computers. Up all night one time trying various solutions. In a few cases, the modified version of OS 10.13 worked. In another case, it didn't work. I have always been able to get the job done by keeping at it, trying different ideas, but the ultimate success never seemed to be logical or consistent with previous attempts. In a few cases, I simply repeated the same steps several times until it finally worked. Others have reported that the length of time the power button is held can make a difference. Varying it seemed to work for me in a few cases when nothing else was varied. It's all a mystery to me.

Borowski

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2018
No mystery: Press and hold the power button until you hear a tone, the led will begin to flash. For me it worked in every case.

cinclodes

macrumors member
Original poster
May 12, 2022
No mystery: Press and hold the power button until you hear a tone, the led will begin to flash. For me it worked in every case.
Yes, of course, that is how it is supposed to work, but there are some cases in which it doesn't work (as many have posted on various forums).

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
I did, I guess, more than a hundred flashes to various Mac Pro 4,1 and 5,1. With nude boards and complete machines.

For repairing, upgrading and for testing the Dumper.

Even without a connected front board / power button (by the pon pads or a soldered tact switch to the pads)

I had zero machines where it does not work. Maybe you do something different, I hold the button or shortcut the pon pads until the long monophonic sound is audible).

Of course there is the chance of a hardware failure, the psu is havoc or the rtc battery delivers a voltage the smc is on an unstable status.

edit: I do not refer about the usual known problems, like having no efi Bootscreen gpu for firmware updates where the efi updater needs them. Nor about that some PCI cards will disturb the firmware unlock mode. If something acts different the first step is to reduce the hardware.

Last edited:

Gmack523

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2024
I have been an owner of many Mac Pros during the past 20 years. I have done firmware updates many times, including routine updates long ago and those that have become more challenging in recent years. I have used approaches described at various sites for upgrading from 4,1 to 5,1 and for upgrading to run High Sierra. In some cases, it has gone smoothly. In other cases, it has been an ordeal -- even though it was the same task and the same approach. Others have reported similar problems.

A recent upgrade from 4,1 to 5,1 was particularly difficult. I first had to upgrade to OS 10.9 so that a USB wifi would work. I tried the approach described here. As others mention in the discussion at that site, I kept getting the 5530 error. After the better part of a day of trying various things, I finally got it to work after updating to OS 10.11. For some reason, it wouldn't work under OS 10.9 on that particular computer. In order to complete one of the steps, I had to set the time of the computer back to early 2016.

I have had mixed results updating firmware for High Sierra. In some cases, it has gone smoothly. In other cases, it has been an hours-long ordeal as others have reported. When problems arise, I have found part of the long description from August 9, 2018, here to be useful. This approach involves a modified version of High Sierra that will install without the firmware update. This approach has worked for a few cases in which I wasn't able to find any other way to get the job done. After installing the modified OS, I was then able to do the firmware update.

I would like to thank those who have come up with ways of updating firmware on these machines, but it would be nice if someone could find a fool-proof approach. There ought to be a way that would make it possible to do this in a matter of minutes. In some cases, however, it turns out to be an ordeal. In some of those cases, it became a blur of trying different ideas, and I can't recall exactly how I finally got it to work.
I have been having nothing but problems. I feel so stupid because I know it's supposed to be so easy. I've been struggling for four days now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.