Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macmesser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
Long Island, NY USA
Is the USB connection between Mac Pro 4,1 Bluetooth module and the logic board the only way the module communicates with the system? Since removing my original Bluetooth module it seems there is not even a Bluetooth preference, so Bluetooth on my new combo mini PCIe card and my old Bluetooth dongle (which happily functionally coexisted with the original module) is now invisible to the system. Could it be that both the original Bluetooth module and the new one need to be connected to the USB and that the original card is the one "telling" the system that Bluetooth is present.?

Last edited:

TheIguana

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2004
Canada
Is the USB connection between Mac Pro 4,1 Bluetooth module and the logic board the only way the module communicates with the system? Since removing my original Bluetooth module it seems there is not even a Bluetooth preference, so Bluetooth on my new combo mini PCIe card and my old Bluetooth dongle (which happily functionally coexisted with the original module) is now invisible to the system. Could it be that both the original Bluetooth module and the new one need to be connected to the USB and that the original card is the one "telling" the system that Bluetooth is present.?

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...orking-on-mac-pro-2010-keep-updating.1748061/

There is no USB bus on the internal PCIe slot used for the Airport card. You have to bridge the USB data lanes from the old Bluetooth cards to the new combo Wifi/Bluetooth USB connection to get it working.

Reactions: macmesser

macmesser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
Long Island, NY USA
Thanks. That simplifies things. Bad card or usb/power issue. Apparently a bluetooth card is needed even for a bt dongle to work, else no bt system preference.
[doublepost=1552619844][/doublepost]
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...orking-on-mac-pro-2010-keep-updating.1748061/

There is no USB bus on the internal PCIe slot used for the Airport card. You have to bridge the USB data lanes from the old Bluetooth cards to the new combo Wifi/Bluetooth USB connection to get it working.
By this you mean disconnect usb from old bluetooth and connect it to new card?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.