Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TuurT

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2020
I have a very weird problem with my 2009 Mac Pro; quad-core, 16gb RAM, HD7950 (flashed).

I've used a Crucial 480gb SSD with Sierra in an external TB case with my iMac 2012. I wanted to use this SSD in my Mac Pro. I got the SSD out of the enclosure. Put it in the Mac Pro drive bay, but I got a prohibited sign.
I taught the problem was I was using Sierra and the Mac could only run El Cap. So I used an El Cap usb installer/drive, but when I want to install the OS I don't see any drives to install it on. Also in Disk Utility no sign of an SSD at all...
So then I put in my good old Snow Leopard DVD and yes then I could see the SSD and install OS X 10.6.8! Now I taught to upgrade to El Cap, by downloading the El Cap installer from the Apple Support site. But when the machine reboots, to go to the installer, I get the prohibited sign again...
Maybe a bad SSD, but it works fine in 10.6 and in external enclosures. So it has to be the Mac Pro. I put in an old 640gb HDD and this drive doesn't get detected as well. In System Information I can see the drive in the correct drive bay, but it says 'unknown'.
So weird it works with Snow Leopard but not at all with El Capitan. Any ideas? Thanks!! :)

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
I have a very weird problem with my 2009 Mac Pro; quad-core, 16gb RAM, HD7950 (flashed).

I've used a Crucial 480gb SSD with Sierra in an external TB case with my iMac 2012. I wanted to use this SSD in my Mac Pro. I got the SSD out of the enclosure. Put it in the Mac Pro drive bay, but I got a prohibited sign.
I taught the problem was I was using Sierra and the Mac could only run El Cap. So I used an El Cap usb installer/drive, but when I want to install the OS I don't see any drives to install it on. Also in Disk Utility no sign of an SSD at all...
So then I put in my good old Snow Leopard DVD and yes then I could see the SSD and install OS X 10.6.8! Now I taught to upgrade to El Cap, by downloading the El Cap installer from the Apple Support site. But when the machine reboots, to go to the installer, I get the prohibited sign again...
Maybe a bad SSD, but it works fine in 10.6 and in external enclosures. So it has to be the Mac Pro. I put in an old 640gb HDD and this drive doesn't get detected as well. In System Information I can see the drive in the correct drive bay, but it says 'unknown'.
So weird it works with Snow Leopard but not at all with El Capitan. Any ideas? Thanks!! :)
Two things, MP4,1 is supported up to El Capitan. Sierra is not supported with a MP4,1.

MP4,1 firmware don't have APFS support, you can't access an APFS drive. Only MP5,1 firmware after MP51.0084.B00 can access APFS formated disks.

To have APFS support with a early-2009 Mac Pro you need to cross flash it to MP5,1 firmware and then upgrade it to at least MP51.0084.B00.

Snow Leopard probably just ignored the APFS partitions that it didn't understand and you could then re-partition/re-format the disk.

Last edited:

TuurT

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2020
Two things, MP4,1 is supported up to El Capitan. Sierra is not supported with a MP4,1.

MP4,1 firmware don't have APFS support, you can't access an APFS drive. Only MP5,1 firmware after MP51.0084.B00 can access APFS formated disks.

To have APFS support with a early-2009 Mac Pro you need to cross flash it to MP5,1 firmware and then upgrade it to at least MP51.0084.B00.

Snow Leopard probably just ignored the APFS partitions that it didn't understand and you could then re-partition/re-format the disk.

But my drive is Mac OS Journaled. And when I install El Cap on the SSD, using an external enclosure, it works. But when I put it back internally, again the prohibited sign...

Can I update the firmware to 5,1 in Snow Leopard?
Thanks

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
But my drive is Mac OS Journaled. And when I install El Cap on the SSD, using an external enclosure, it works. But when I put it back internally, again the prohibited sign...

Can I update the firmware to 5,1 in Snow Leopard?
Thanks
Some USB2SATA controllers initialise disks differently than native SATA ports, it's a well know problem and you have to erase and re-partition your drive when you install it on your Mac Pro.

Yes, you can cross-flash to MP5,1 with Snow Leopard. This is the thread on Netkas forum:

Reactions: crjackson2134

TuurT

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2020
So format and erase it under Snow Leopard? Because that's the only way on how I can acces the disk internally.

TuurT

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2020
Or use diskutil with Terminal.

Used Snow Leopard DVD to format the SSD (Mac Journaled), but without succes.
So weird I can see everything fine in Snow Leopard (even my Windows Bootcamp HDD), but just not in El Cap.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Used Snow Leopard DVD to format the SSD (Mac Journaled), but without succes.
So weird I can see everything fine in Snow Leopard (even my Windows Bootcamp HDD), but just not in El Cap.

Identify the diskID with diskutil list:
Code:
diskutil list
Do a zero out until ~3%, change diskXX to the correct one:
Code:
diskutil zerodisk diskXX
Format the disk:
Code:
diskutil erasedisk jhfs+ Macintosh\ HD GPT diskXX

TuurT

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2020
Identify the diskID with diskutil list:
Code:
diskutil list
Do a zero out until ~3%, change diskXX to the correct one:
Code:
diskutil zerodisk diskXX
Format the disk:
Code:
diskutil erasedisk jhfs+ Macintosh\ HD GPT diskXX

But in the El Capitan installer I can't see the ssd in the terminal when typing in diskutil list..

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
But in the El Capitan installer I can't see the ssd in the terminal when typing in diskutil list..

diskutil list shows the disk unformatted, no partitions. If it's not showing, something is wrong.

TuurT

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2020
I can see it in the terminal in Snow Leopard, but not in El Cap. If it works perfectly in 10.6 then there shouldn't be a hardware problem right?

TuurT

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2020
System Report shows anything?

In Snow Leopard it detects the SSD and HDD just fine, I can see all the information. In El Cap system information shows there is something in the drive bay but says 'unknown'

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
In Snow Leopard it detects the SSD and HDD just fine, I can see all the information. In El Cap system information shows there is something in the drive bay but says 'unknown'
Very strange. Did you tried downloading 10.11.6 again from Mac App Store? 10.10 or 10.9 works?

TuurT

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2020
Very strange. Did you tried downloading 10.11.6 again from Mac App Store? 10.10 or 10.9 works?

In Snow Leopard I tried downloading El Capitan from the Apple support page. I went through the installer but then when the Mac wanted to reboot (to continu installation) I got the prohibited sign.
I'll try to install Yosemite and see how that goes. So strange...

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
In Snow Leopard I tried downloading El Capitan from the Apple support page. I went through the installer but then when the Mac wanted to reboot (to continu installation) I got the prohibited sign.
I'll try to install Yosemite and see how that goes. So strange...
Btw, you know that you have to go back with the system clock to before October 2019, no?

TuurT

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2020
I flashed the Mac Pro to 5,1 firmware, but still the same problem. I see everything fine when using 10.6 DVD, but nothing when using El Cap USB. Also Mavericks tested, but same problem...

TuurT

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2020
Btw, you know that you have to go back with the system clock to before October 2019, no?

I have installed a new 6 core CPU, same problem.
I'm on MP51.007F.B03
When I go to my El Cap installer onto the usb, I see that the firmware is 'locked' (this was in the file name from the firmware). Do you have more info about this?
Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.