Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

justin1911

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2017
Hi all. I purchased the bluetooth upgrade kit from OSXWiFi.com. I completed the upgrade after some blood, sweat, tears, and lots and lots of swearing.

When I booted for the first time I got "Bluetooth is not available" or similar error message. The new WiFi picked right up though. Some Googling led me to the conclustion that I needed to reset my PRAM/NVRAM.
So I did that. Now Bluetooth works, shows as 4.0, shows as Continuity capable, Handoff is enabled on both my iPhone and Mac Pro, and they're on the same WiFi network. But I cannot for the life of me get my handoff to work. I am signed in with the same iCloud account on both devices.

Any ideas or insights would be very much appreciated.

Also, a shoutout to everyone here because there is no way I could've gotten all of my upgrades done without the knowledge sharing that goes on here. Bravo to everyone.
[doublepost=1513217590][/doublepost]Screenshot of System Report and Settings attached.
[doublepost=1513217695][/doublepost]In "Similar threads" after I posted this, I saw the suggestion to disable wired ethernet adapters. Trying that now.

Attachments

• preferences.jpeg
    preferences.jpeg
    85.6 KB · Views: 262
  • system-report-bluetooth.jpeg
    system-report-bluetooth.jpeg
    65.4 KB · Views: 287

justin1911

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2017
You have to disable SIP and run Continuity Actication Tool.

More Info:
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...orking-on-mac-pro-2010-keep-updating.1748061/

Thanks for that info. Not sure how I missed the SIP disable. As soon as I disabled SIP, it started working. I forgot to mention that I ran the Continuity Activation Tool, but it said "Continuity already enabled" or similar.

At any rate, Continuity works now. But like all things on this Mac Pro project that I've accidentally gotten sucked in to, there is a new issue. Bluetooth connectivity is terrible post-upgrade. I'm investigating that one now, and from what I can understand is that it is due to the poor antenna design in the Mac Pro.

We'll see how it goes. Thanks again @MriX ! Good catch.

Reactions: MriX
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.