Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

John Doe 57

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
MAIN ISSUES: NO STARTUP CHIME - NO VIDEO - LOUD GPU FAN - NO KEYBOARD POWER

I just picked up a 2009 Mac Pro 8-Core 2.93GHz. Upon trying to boot it for the first time, I noticed two red LEDs next to each CPU. I was getting no video signal via the Mini DisplayPort. Research suggested that the CPUs could be dead. I tightened the 3mm screws in each heat sink to make sure they weren't too wobbly and sure enough, both red LEDs did not illuminate during a second boot attempt.

But during the second attempt, the GPU (4870) fan began making a hideous rattling sound. It's extremely loud even with the side panel reattached and I'm still getting no video. I've tried both x16 slots to no avail.

I've removed all but 4 sticks of 4GB 1333MHz RAM (using slots 1, 2, 5 & 6) and I've also removed all HDDs to see if anything changes. I cannot get power to my keyboard plugged in via the front or rear USB 2.0 panel. I can only get my mouse to turn on via the front & rear USB panels.

Any ideas as to what could be going on here?

Last edited:

bookemdano

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2011
Man, if it's that bad functionally how's the physical condition? I hope you got it cheap.

Not sure why you wouldn't have functional rear USB ports. But I guess that's the least of your problems right now.

Maybe the GPU died? Do you have another card you can try? Doesn't have to have an EFI if there's a working macOS partition connected (or even just a macOS installer USB stick).

Edit: Try a PRAM reset?

John Doe 57

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Man, if it's that bad functionally how's the physical condition? I hope you got it cheap.

Not sure why you wouldn't have functional rear USB ports. But I guess that's the least of your problems right now.

Maybe the GPU died? Do you have another card you can try? Doesn't have to have an EFI if there's a working macOS partition connected (or even just a macOS installer USB stick).

Edit: Try a PRAM reset?

Well it was cheaper than most I saw on eBay and there is a 60 day return policy thankfully but I don't want to be beaten by this thing!

I have a Windows computer with a NVIDIA 1050 2GB. If I plug that into the Mac Pro, you're saying it may show me some results?

I tried a PRAM reset but I can't tell if it's working. The caps lock key does not illuminate so I don't know if the keyboard is receiving power at all.

bookemdano

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2011
Didn't you say the front USB ports are getting power? You will know a PRAM reset worked because you'll hear a second boot chime while holding down the keys (and it basically reboots again).

No, unfortunately the 1050 isn't going to get you anywhere, at least not with MacOS.

What kind of hard drive is installed--do you know if it even has a working copy of macOS installed?

Edit: Oh, re-read your message about the keyboard. Do you have another USB keyboard you can try?

John Doe 57

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
You will know a PRAM reset worked because you'll hear a second boot chime while holding down the keys (and it basically reboots again).

Well unfortunately, I'm not hearing any chime sound at all. And holding down the PRAM reset keys doesn't seem to be doing anything because the keyboard is not receiving power. I plugged my mouse into each USB port (front & back) and did receive power from each port. The only other keyboard I have is a Dell keyboard. I just removed my optical drive to see if the PSU fan was operating and indeed it is.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
For your info, the 4870's fan will spin up for self testing during boot, that's very loud, which is normal, and the fan will spin down once driver is loaded.

I don't know how to determine cannot power the keyboard. If no boot, you can't turn on Caps lock, then you can't determine if the keyboard is powered. As long as you can see the mouse is powered properly. I will assume the USB ports are actually working.

If suspect GPU is the issue, remove it. The cMP can boot without GPU.

But no chime is definitely some wrong for 4,1 if PRAM reset can't fix it (or even can't perform PRAM reset with a known good Apple keyboard). Those red LEDs indeed suggested that something may be damaged.

For 4,1, the heatsink too tight may cause no boot. If you want to, you may try release the screw by 1/8 or 4/1 turn, and see if that make any difference.

At this early stage, it's better to install only 2 DIMM (only slot 1 and 5) to reduce possible issue (I assume they are all known good compatible ECC RAM).

John Doe 57

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
For your info, the 4870's fan will spin up for self testing during boot, that's very loud, which is normal, and the fan will spin down once driver is loaded.

I figured that would be the case but mine doesn't seem to be slowing down. It's running at full speed and sounds like how when you're drilling a screw into a wall and it can't go any further, that clicking sound. Quite loud.

I don't know how to determine cannot power the keyboard. If no boot, you can't turn on Caps lock, then you can't determine if the keyboard is powered.

I'm using the Apple A1048 Keyboard which has two USB ports built into it. I tried plugging the mouse into those ports but received no power. I do believe those are USB 1.1 ports however and may not be powerful enough for the mouse anyhow.

I've ordered another 2009 Mac Pro 4,1 off eBay for only $30 more than this one so hopefully I'll have better luck. Thank you for all the help!

Reactions: h9826790
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.