Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Hi again

I will check the connector for fluff I have noticed the cpu board is very dirty ??

Could there be some underlying problem there ?

Also the seller is saying he will file a claim with the courier and hope they will accept it and then refund me is what he has said.

Now the only other option is getting eBay envolved and seeing if that helps.

But he is saying he wont accept a return

So if he courier don’t accept liability well I’m out by £400

But as these cpu tray’s are soo expensive on eBay uk it’s nuts

I will check all you have said and see what’s up there if anything

Thanks

Jason

P.S if I post some CPU Socket Photo’s will you guys take a look ?
If this happened to me, I'd resolve this buying a MP5,1 backplane to replace the original MP4,1 one. It will be a lot cheaper, since you already have a MP5,1 dual cpu tray.

Reactions: jasonmacpro31

jasonmacpro31

macrumors member
Original poster
May 13, 2019
Swansea, Wales, UK
Hi orph I’m only using the 5,1 CPU Tray To rule out he backplane on my Mac Pro 4,1 that’s had its firmware updated to a 5,1

So yes I’ve got a 4,1 cpu tray in a 4,1 Mac Pro

orph

macrumors 68000
Dec 12, 2005
UK
ah my bad, was confused.
any luck yet? if it's a badly seated CPU then it's not to bad and if there's a bent pin it's posble to bend back.

edit
hay just noticed hi from Newport :D

jasonmacpro31

macrumors member
Original poster
May 13, 2019
Swansea, Wales, UK
Hi orph no go so far. so I’m trying to shift my 5,1 dual cpu tray to pick up another 4,1 cpu tray

I can’t find a bent CPU pin at all on socket B

So I’m thinking it’s duff somehow.

And hi from port talbot :)

Reactions: orph

orph

macrumors 68000
Dec 12, 2005
UK
yah sounds a real pain.
port talbot is nice, lots of beaches ^^ been surfing & kayaking there.

hoped the seller had an idea on how to fix it or a second one to swap it out with.

jasonmacpro31

macrumors member
Original poster
May 13, 2019
Swansea, Wales, UK
hi orph sorry I'm now replying,

and yeah the beaches are lovely here in port talbot.

as for the seller he isn't helping in anyway I've got eBay involved but he is fighting them saying because i have removed the heatsinks that i must have damaged the CPU tray :-/

jasonmacpro31

macrumors member
Original poster
May 13, 2019
Swansea, Wales, UK
Thanks orph I didn’t think of Apple hardware test I did notice something when there is no CPU in socket B the fan is not detected even if it’s on the socket

But does spin and don’t rev up

But when the cpu is in its just the same

I’m going to try a magnifying glass this afternoon and check then socket properly I have noticed that there is what looks like a few pins that don’t look right to the naked eye but ofcourse I didn’t notice these before

Thanks

amedias

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2008
Devon, UK
Yup get a magnifying glass on it and have a close look, it is very easy to damage or bend those pins if you’re not careful and it only takes a tiny bend to stop it working properly.

jasonmacpro31

macrumors member
Original poster
May 13, 2019
Swansea, Wales, UK
I think I have found the issue but I’m not 100% sure

It looks like there is a row of pins out of alignment and also looks as if there is one higher than the rest I have tried it but still no go so far.

I’m thinking it’s either a Bad SMC or the Northbridge is faulty if it’s called that

amedias

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2008
Devon, UK
I think I have found the issue but I’m not 100% sure

It looks like there is a row of pins out of alignment and also looks as if there is one higher than the rest I have tried it but still no go so far.

I’m thinking it’s either a Bad SMC or the Northbridge is faulty if it’s called that

Able to take a close up picture of the pins?

Much more likely to be socket damage than a suddenly bad IC, especially since it did work when it first arrived

jasonmacpro31

macrumors member
Original poster
May 13, 2019
Swansea, Wales, UK
Here is a pic I dunno if it will show up ?
[doublepost=1560724551][/doublepost]I just run the Apple hardware test on the board and I get the following error code

4SMC/1/4000000:SMC

It won’t run the diagnostic test instant fault and that’s with the single CPU in socket B appears to be dead or a bad SMC

Attachments

• BFDA150E-20F3-4785-A3FF-4766A2353FE3.jpeg
    BFDA150E-20F3-4785-A3FF-4766A2353FE3.jpeg
    280.4 KB · Views: 143

orph

macrumors 68000
Dec 12, 2005
UK
most the time it will be a bent pin/bad cpu or wrong cpu/miss matched cpu's /dust dirt/not corectly montedheatsinks or cpu's
i dont think iv seen a SMC go bad on a cpu tray

if you have a good light bring it to the side and cirlce around, as the light moves it may help show where the problem is, can be hard to spot some times

amedias

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2008
Devon, UK
Hard to tell anything from that photo as needs to be bigger/more close up.

I'm not saying it's impossible but it's really really really unusual to just have an SMC or tray 'go bad', it's normally damage that does them in...
[doublepost=1560786675][/doublepost]At this point though, considering you already have a working 5,1 Dual CPU tray (and they are easier to work on), if you can't fix the 4,1 tray it'd be cheaper and better to buy a single CPU 5,1 complete machine for £200-£300, and throw your dual tray in, than it would to spend £400 on another dual 4,1 tray... and then you could sell the single CPU 5,1 tray and your single 4,1 system and probably end up not costing you much overall.

That way you'd have your end goal of a dual CPU cMP, and if you do want to mess with CPU upgrades it's a lot easier on the 5,1 trays with lidded CPU.

Last edited:

jasonmacpro31

macrumors member
Original poster
May 13, 2019
Swansea, Wales, UK
Hi guys

I’ve gone over it with a fine tooth Combe so to speak and can’t find the issue

I’ve sold my CPU Tray 5,1 so no longer have that as an option plus my 4,1 is in mint condition

Now I’ve tried placing odd cpu’s In the tray to see if it shows an error and cpu B has a red light on

But as soon as I put the E5520 back in to match the one in there it don’t have none of it no error lights nothing just power fans running normal and no chime I have observed that fan B don’t spin at all when powered up

Would that indicate something ??

Thanks

jasonmacpro31

macrumors member
Original poster
May 13, 2019
Swansea, Wales, UK
hi orph thanks again for the reply,

I have tried 6 pairs so far of the e5520's in there and they won't boot in Dual CPU
single CPU A is fine but CPU B is a no go.

as I stated I get the following error running AHT 4SMC/1/4000000:SMC

so im thinking the cpu tray is bad more than likely

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.