Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hamishb2

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 12, 2020
I managed to install Big Sur 11.2.3 on an NVME drive on my Mac Pro 5,1. Thanks to the OpenCore team and Martin Lo for their package and instructions. Boot Rom is the 944 version.

Drive is a Samsung 970 EVO Pro which came with the current 2x series firmware. Mounted on a Lycom DT-120.

GPU is a second had Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon 580X.

Also installed a Titan Ridge thunderbolt card which is connected using a pass-through cable to my Apple Cinema Thunderbolt 2 monitor using an Apple TB2 -> TB3 adapter.

Now I have had lots of problems getting this going, primarily since (as posted elsewhere) the Radeon was not working in Slot 1. Other cards work fine in that slot e.g. an old Nvidia GT-120.

I was trying to get the Radeon working in slot 2, however the fans were fouling agsint the Titan Ridge card (which I understood had to be in Slot 4). So I tried the Titan Ridge in Slot 2, and Radeon in slot 3 and it seems to be working.

So the configuration is as follows:
Slot 1: NVME drive on Lycom DT-120
Slot 2: Titan Ridge thunderbolt card
Slot 3: Radeon 580X
Slot 4: N/A as Radeon is a double width card

Hope this helps, especially if you are trying to add thunderbolt to your 5,1 Mac Pro.

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
You have a number of components which do not exist.
1. 970 is either evo OR pro.
2. Do you mean RX580 (a 580x is an MPX module for 2019 macpro).

Gpu should be in slot 1 (or 2 in some cases).

Stex

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2021
NYC
Yes indeed GPU should be in slots 1 or 2… have you tried your setup without the Titan Ridge? I don’t have an answer to your problem but others definitely can help, I would post the question on the GPU thread for cMP as you might get a quicker answer. Maybe also a related question on the Titan Ridge thread…

KStC

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2021
I managed to install Big Sur 11.2.3 on an NVME drive on my Mac Pro 5,1. Thanks to the OpenCore team and Martin Lo for their package and instructions. Boot Rom is the 944 version.

Drive is a Samsung 970 EVO Pro which came with the current 2x series firmware. Mounted on a Lycom DT-120.

GPU is a second had Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon 580X.

Also installed a Titan Ridge thunderbolt card which is connected using a pass-through cable to my Apple Cinema Thunderbolt 2 monitor using an Apple TB2 -> TB3 adapter.

Now I have had lots of problems getting this going, primarily since (as posted elsewhere) the Radeon was not working in Slot 1. Other cards work fine in that slot e.g. an old Nvidia GT-120.

I was trying to get the Radeon working in slot 2, however the fans were fouling agsint the Titan Ridge card (which I understood had to be in Slot 4). So I tried the Titan Ridge in Slot 2, and Radeon in slot 3 and it seems to be working.

So the configuration is as follows:
Slot 1: NVME drive on Lycom DT-120
Slot 2: Titan Ridge thunderbolt card
Slot 3: Radeon 580X
Slot 4: N/A as Radeon is a double width card

Hope this helps, especially if you are trying to add thunderbolt to your 5,1 Mac Pro.
Hey Hamish, can you send me the instructions you followed to get the PCIe m.2 drive installed with Big Sur using OC? Thanks!

Stex

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2021
NYC
Hey Hamish, can you send me the instructions you followed to get the PCIe m.2 drive installed with Big Sur using OC? Thanks!

The OP used Martin Lo's OC package, his detailed install instructions are here:

For suggested NMVe PCIe cards and blades to use on cMP, read the following thread:

For more info on upgrades in general, the following has almost all relevant threads listed:

Reactions: KeesMacPro

hamishb2

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 12, 2020
Bit of a fluke I suspect. I installed OpenCore on a USB using Martin Lo's package, and made it a bootable Big Sur 11.2.3 one following the instructions over at Dortania - https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/installer-guide/mac-install.html

I ensured the target NVME drive also had OC installed on the EFI partition first.

I then stuck the USB into the Mac Pro, clicked Install and went from there.

Now I am having some problems, and think the issue is the Sapphire Nitro+ GPU as it draws 235W. Works OK in Slot 2 (apart from the fact the fans foul the card in Slot 4) so I am going to swap it for a Sapphire Pulse card which draws 225W (the limit from the PCI bus + 2 x mini 6 pin aux power on the motherboard).

Reactions: KStC

hamishb2

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 12, 2020
You have a number of components which do not exist.
1. 970 is either evo OR pro.
2. Do you mean RX580 (a 580x is an MPX module for 2019 macpro).

Gpu should be in slot 1 (or 2 in some cases).
Apologies - the SSD is a 970 EVO Plus 2TB.

GPU is a Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX580 - as noted above its power draw exceeds what Slot 1 can deliver so I am going to swap it for a Pulse card which has a lower power requirement.

Reactions: KStC and MarkC426

Stex

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2021
NYC

GPU is a Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX580 - as noted above its power draw exceeds what Slot 1 can deliver so I am going to swap it for a Pulse card which has a lower power requirement.
You might want to search for a thread where Martin explains how to downvolt GPUs… Not sure, but maybe it’s feasible to tweak your current card and make it work in slot 1-2 without having to get a new (overpriced) RX580. I don’t have the thread handy, but if you search for Martin’s threads it should come up… else ping him here…

Reactions: KStC

KeesMacPro

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2019
Now I am having some problems, and think the issue is the Sapphire Nitro+ GPU as it draws 235W. Works OK in Slot 2 (apart from the fact the fans foul the card in Slot 4) so I am going to swap it for a Sapphire Pulse card which draws 225W (the limit from the PCI bus + 2 x mini 6 pin aux power on the motherboard).
TBH there are different parameters/issues at the same time with this setup which make it very hard (for the reader and yourself) to troubleshoot /solve anything.
"some problems" is not very specific...
OpenCore, BigSur, Titan Ridge, too high power draw of the Nitro+ for the mini6pin headers etc.

-For GPUs with high power draw the PIXLAS mod is the best/only solution.
-GPU not working in slot 1 is not related to the power draw
-The problem that the Nitro+ height is more than 2 slots is another data point.

If you consider to replace the Nitro+ for a Pulse , you'll have the physical incompatibility issue solved.
The Pulse should be powered with a 2xmini 6pin to 8pin "Y" cable.

hamishb2

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 12, 2020
Thanks. What do you think might be the issue with the Nitro GPU not working in slot 1? I work with two former Apple Geniuses and they had not seen many 5,1s so they were not much help.

KeesMacPro

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2019
Thanks. What do you think might be the issue with the Nitro GPU not working in slot 1? I work with two former Apple Geniuses and they had not seen many 5,1s so they were not much help.
Your welcome!

If there is no physical problem (like the height of the backplate) to install it in slot 1 , and you've tested it with a natively installed OS e.g. Mojave and no other PCIe cards, and it still doesnt work, I assume slot 1 of the LogicBoard is gone south.

hamishb2

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 12, 2020
If there is no physical problem (like the height of the backplate) to install it in slot 1 , and you've tested it with a natively installed OS e.g. Mojave and no other PCIe cards, and it still doesnt work, I assume slot 1 of the LogicBoard is gone south.
Given other cards work in Slot 1 (NVME card, GT-120 GPU) I am hoping Slot 1 still has some life left!

hamishb2

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 12, 2020
I was interested to find this old forum thread about Slot 1 vs Slot 2:

KeesMacPro

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2019
Given other cards work in Slot 1 (NVME card, GT-120 GPU) I am hoping Slot 1 still has some life left!
Correct, but the Nitro draws ~ 5x more power than a GT120...
Personally I'd use the Nitro with the PIXLAS Mod .

I was interested to find this old forum thread about Slot 1 vs Slot 2:
This thread is 7 years old (2014) , a lot of things have changed since then.

I've been using and testing lots of GPUs and never ever noticed any difference between slot 1 vs slot 2.
Except for the fact that a blower style GPU might benefit a little when installed in slot2 , since there's airflow underneath > lower Temp.

Last edited:
Reactions: MarkC426

MacNB2

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2021

I have a Sapphire Nitro+ RX580 in my cMP running fine (touchwood).
I have it plugged into Slot 1 and connected a 8-Pin to 2x mini 6-PIN power cable to the logic board.

I get good Geekbench scores too:

Screenshot 2021-07-23 at 16.47.58.png

I have tried it in Slot 2 and Slot 3 without any problems.
You said you bought your card second-hand. May be it's faulty ??

MacNB2

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2021
How come it only shows as 6gb memory?

That screenshot was taken a few days ago. Since then I replaced the 6GB 1066Mhz DIMMs with 16GB 1333Mhz DIMMs (after delidding and upgrading couple of X5690 CPU's).

Here's today's GB:

Screenshot 2021-07-26 at 20.52.47.png Screenshot 2021-07-26 at 20.54.44.png Screenshot 2021-07-26 at 11.35.47.png

MacNB2

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2021
Are you sure you have a Nitro with a single 8pin???

The Nitro+ has both 8-Pin plus 6-Pin but does not need the 6-Pin connector. I have it used like this for a while (no overclocking).
The Nitro+ is already overclocked at the factory to 1400Mhz GPU clock and in the Windows world, these Nitro+s can be further overclocked to 1500+. That's when the 6-Pin connector is required in addition to the 8-Pin connector - for overclock stability. Otherwise it does not reach 1500+ as the power draw is max'ed out on the 8-Pin + PCIe bus.

MacNB2

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2021
Bit of a drop in the metal score (and an older version of gb..?)
Your earlier score used 5.3.1

Yes drop in score seems to be going from Mojave to Catalina. GB versions don't seem to make any difference as I just upgraded to GB 5.4.1.

For me Catalina (and later) is a backward step for RX580 as Apple in their infinite wisdom have killed native platform support for RX580 h/w acceleration within their OWN FCPX App. Mojave & older FCPx still works better with RX580. That's why we have to go through hoops of Lilu & Whatevergreen kext with Board-ID spoofs to enable h/w acceleration. Sorry I digressed.

KeesMacPro

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2019
The Nitro+ has both 8-Pin plus 6-Pin but does not need the 6-Pin connector. I have it used like this for a while (no overclocking).
The Nitro+ is already overclocked at the factory to 1400Mhz GPU clock and in the Windows world, these Nitro+s can be further overclocked to 1500+. That's when the 6-Pin connector is required in addition to the 8-Pin connector - for overclock stability. Otherwise it does not reach 1500+ as the power draw is max'ed out on the 8-Pin + PCIe bus.
Supposing this kind of works for you, that's perfect.
Naturally , everybody can do as he likes , but please, don't encourage others to do the same .

MacNB2

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2021
Supposing this kind of works for you, that's perfect.
Naturally , everybody can do as he likes , but please, don't encourage others to do the same .

Sorry but I am not encouraging anyone to do anything. I was just stating how those connectors work. It is up to individuals how they use those connectors.

KeesMacPro

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2019
Sorry but I am not encouraging anyone to do anything. I was just stating how those connectors work. It is up to individuals how they use those connectors.
Sorry for my post with few words, maybe I should elaborate my point of view.

In this case the device is a decade or over a decade old.
The power provided to the GPU in a Mac Pro 4,1/5,1 is routed through the LogicBoard and was never designed for high power consumption GPUs.
That's why someone came up with the idea of connecting the GPU power directly to the PSU (like in a PC).
This is called the PIXLAS Mod.

The Sapphire RX580 Pulse power consumption is about the limit for the LogicBoard headers (2x mini 6pin > single 8pin) , a Nitro is too much IMO.

MacNB2

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2021
Sorry for my post with few words, maybe I should elaborate my point of view.

In this case the device is a decade or over a decade old.
The power provided to the GPU in a Mac Pro 4,1/5,1 is routed through the LogicBoard and was never designed for high power consumption GPUs.
That's why someone came up with the idea of connecting the GPU power directly to the PSU (like in a PC).
This is called the PIXLAS Mod.

The Sapphire RX580 Pulse power consumption is about the limit for the LogicBoard headers (2x mini 6pin > single 8pin) , a Nitro is too much IMO.

Thanks for the elaboration.
I am very well aware of the Pixlas mod and that it can deliver higher power rating.

Having done my research and empirically working with the Nitro+, my conclusion for my usage mode is that the 2 mini 6-Pin to 8-Pin cable to the Nitro+ is fine. I never overclock it and never use it for any hard gaming.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.