Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yurtal

macrumors member
Original poster
May 8, 2009
Hello everyone. I have found myself in a tricky situation. My Mac Pro 2010 won't turn on anymore all of a sudden. There is no click or sound when I push the power button, no light, no response whatsoever. I have replaced the power cord, plugged it into a different power source, unplugged everything and tried it but nothing works. When I press the 'DIAG LED' button inside the machine, the '5V STBY' LED illuminates (but only when I press the button). All other LED lights remain off.
I don't have money to take it into a repair centre at this time and was wondering if there are some things I could try to get my machine up and running again.
Thank you very in advance for your help.
Regards,
Ryan.

Netherscurial

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2007
I am having a similar problem on my mac pro too. Except I can get it to turn on but I have to play with the power button.

Usually if I hold down the power button till I hear it click, then I let go and then hit the power button again and it comes on. I had taken it to the APple store and they said it was the power cord so I bought a new cord; it worked fine for awhle then the problem came back. It may be the power supply.

Try holding the power button down till you hear it click, usually about 5 seconds, then hit it once right after. It may come on

Kevin

tracer1

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2013
SC
Mine was doing the same thing.....replaced the power supply and worked perfect. Mine would also not wake from sleep. Would have to power off, then hold power button till 1st click, then hold for 5-6 secs to power on. With new power supply, works great again. Hopefully that will fix yours.

Sebct

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2010
London, UK.
Hello everyone. I have found myself in a tricky situation. My Mac Pro 2010 won't turn on anymore all of a sudden. There is no click or sound when I push the power button, no light, no response whatsoever. I have replaced the power cord, plugged it into a different power source, unplugged everything and tried it but nothing works. When I press the 'DIAG LED' button inside the machine, the '5V STBY' LED illuminates (but only when I press the button). All other LED lights remain off.
I don't have money to take it into a repair centre at this time and was wondering if there are some things I could try to get my machine up and running again.
Thank you very in advance for your help.
Regards,
Ryan.

Did you ever manage to get your mac pro to boot? I'm having the same problem.

cander328

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2014
Same problem here as well with my Mac Pro 2010 5,1. Did you ever find a solution. I have swapped out the power supply, mother board, power switch board (but not the actual button) and CPU tray using another Mac Pro and still nothing happens when I push the power button. When I push the diagnostic button inside the yellow LED lights up and when I plug the power cord in I get a red light on the mother board to flash. Thoughts

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
Same problem here as well with my Mac Pro 2010 5,1. Did you ever find a solution. I have swapped out the power supply, mother board, power switch board (but not the actual button) and CPU tray using another Mac Pro and still nothing happens when I push the power button. When I push the diagnostic button inside the yellow LED lights up and when I plug the power cord in I get a red light on the mother board to flash. Thoughts

test way back. Put the parts in the working Mac.

If you have 2 parts failing you will never find the cause with that method.

Always test parts in a working machine.

Not Parts in a dead machine.

cander328

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2014
Narrowed it down to the power button. Replaced with one I had in an older 1,1 it but now both machines have power button lit when plugged in and they don’t power up when I press the button. At least they both have the same issue. Tried different power cables with no success but will go through diagnostics tomorrow. Maybe the power buttons are plugged in upside down?

Attachments

• 69649F5A-E253-44FE-86CF-64040CF55377.jpeg
    69649F5A-E253-44FE-86CF-64040CF55377.jpeg
    332.6 KB · Views: 141
  • 0D578130-DA62-4873-8059-EAF8F5730F05.jpeg
    0D578130-DA62-4873-8059-EAF8F5730F05.jpeg
    497.6 KB · Views: 135
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.